Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Size: 1 Pack|Change

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
on September 23, 2014
I have used speedlites for years but never have been happy with the quality of the modifiers available to shape those little lights. I have become quite spoiled by studio lighting equipment as the softboxes mount securely to studio strobes and work so well. I have really tired of bringing studio lighting on location and decided to try out this Rapid Box to see if I could really make a speedlite look like a "big light" easily and with portability. I am very impressed so far with the build quality of this tool. The mounting is very solid and I expect that it will last long into the future. The light quality is very nice for such a small size light shaper. I am very pleased and I recommend the item fully. I do use a Stofen diffuser on the Canon 580 EX to assure complete and even coverage across the entire front panel of the softbox and I can tell you that it does fill the front panel evenly with light as I verified this with my Sekonic flash meter while shooting the flash in manual settings. The difference is no more that .2 of a stop from center to outer most edge.

My last comment is this. I see that ProFoto is offering a speedlite speedring to adapt speedlites to their RFI line of softboxes. I am sure the quality of that bracket is excellent but this kit costs less complete than their bracket on its own PLUS this unit collapses and sets-up again in seconds. I cannot find anything bad to say about this excellent tool. I'm so glad I picked one up and I plan to buy at least one more.
on September 25, 2013
If you're coming from typical cheap tent-pole style softboxes (Photodiox / Cowboy Studio) then you're in for a treat. This octabox has a telescoping internal structure that slides into place very smoothly, and without placing undue strain on the outer material. Yes, it *actually* collapses and expands in seconds, without requiring you to stick bent metal rods into a bracket.

The speedlite bracket is very sturdy, much nicer than I've been used to as well. I have no worries about my 600EX-RT flopping out because the tension screw grips it right where it ought to, so I can lock down the speedite's foot without it popping out. The diffuser panel is fit perfectly to the outer dimensions of the box, so it can be fitted easily, and holds in place without velcro.

Light from the box is great, though I actually haven't had a chance to try it without the reflector plate yet. The $20 add-on plate really ought to come with the box, but I've voiced those complaints in the reflector plate product reviews, so no need to repeat here. I find that with the reflector dish and diffuser panel in place, I can point this light directly at a subject and get a nice no-nonsense portrait that's free of hot spots, yet still has some depth and dimension to it. It's just a really nice source of light, and I see it being a part of most of my upcoming shoots, as I move more towards a speedlight-based setup.

The box also comes with a *really* nice carrying bag. Again, those coming from cheap $30 boxes will love this, it's a carrying case that you'll actually use!

This is a really nice light, and I look forward to picking up a Stripbox to go with it... and I guess another $20 reflector dish while I'm at it.
on February 2, 2016
This is the perfect addition to my studio set up gear. This is very well made and so easy to set up and take down. Nice soft lighting is perfect indoor or out. Very happy with this. I took a class awhile back for portraits and this is the softbox my instructor used.
on December 25, 2014
I ordered two $20 soft boxes. After I checked out this soft box at a lighting workshop. I returned the two cheap one immediately. Honestly, the result of a $20 soft box and this one is the same. But the quality of this soft box is excellent. Very easy to use. I can access the flash light easily. While the $20 one, the flash is inside the box. If I need to tilt the box, I need to remove the cover. The box also hit the flash light. Also, this one come with a storage bag and the mount. It cost more on this one but you won't regret.
on October 2, 2013
I really like the fast set-up time, and the portability of this thing.

The light wraps great around the subject.

I've used it outdoors and indoors and have gotten better
results from it than an umbrella.

Also got the deflector "beauty-dish" for it; haven't seen
any difference, but I think I could do more of a detailed test...
on January 20, 2016
I actually returned this product for a different Westcott box, but it was only because it was not the size that I was instructed to get! Had I had the extra money, I would have kept it. It is very easy to open up, put together and take down! Solid build I never saw what type of lighting you get from it as I returned it without using. If I get some throw away funds, I will definitely add it to my accoutrements of items.
on April 28, 2016
I love the Rapid Box. I read many many reviews before finally purchasing this Wescott box. I am so glad I did! It's high quality, and the light it produces is perfect for portraits. It's great when you need extra portability. I have already used it for 7 photo sessions since I purchased a month ago.
on October 23, 2016
It's a Westcott...I've learned the hard way, when it comes to photography equipment, you get what you pay for. Don't waste money on cheaper brands, because you will eventually replace them with quality products, such as this one.
on November 14, 2013
Extremely well-made unlike some of the other stuff Westcott makes. I'd like to see it in 30-35" though.
One thing to keep in mind if you use Phottix Odin receivers, your receiver will be touching the far-protruding knob of the bracket. Not a big deal since it doesn't really rub hard against the nut. I am considering to replace that nut with something less bulky though.
I'm using this a lot with the attachment (the beauty dish-like plate) in reverse to maximize light reflection.
on October 11, 2013
This is my favorite lighting modifier currently! It shapes light beautifully and is SO easy to use. It folds out just like and umbrella and is fully assembled in less than two minutes (including attaching the flash head). I use it with Canon 600ex-rt flashes. It is great for portraits!