Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS
|Price:||$75.00 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- WD Caviar Black high performance 3.5-inch SATA hard drives co MBine 7200 RPM spin speed
- High performance electronics architecture features dual processors and bigger, faster caches for maximum read and write speeds
- StableTrac- The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Brand Name: Western Digital
- Model Number: WD1001FALS
- Hard Disk Size: 1024 GB
- Manufacturer Warranty Description: 5 year limited warranty
- Hardware Platform: PC
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||DatabugLLC||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Rack-IT Solutions|
|Hard Disk Size||1024 GB||1 TB||1000 GB||1 TB|
|Speed||7200||7200 RPM||7200 RPM||7200 RPM|
|Form Factor||3.5 inch||3.5 inch||3.5 inch||5.25-Inch|
|Hardware Interface||sata 3 0 gb||sata 6 0 gb||sata 6 0 gb||sata 3 0 gb|
|Cache Memory Installed||32||64||64||64|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
From the Manufacturer
WD Caviar Black Hard Drives – Maximum performance for power computing.
WD Caviar Black high performance 3.5-inch SATA hard drives combine 7200 RPM spin speed, an integrated dual processor, and dual actuator technology for lightning-fast performance in demanding desktop, workstation, and multi-drive systems. And 1 TB capacity gives you the space you need to hold enormous amounts of photos, videos, and files. Best of all these drives are backed by a 5-year limited warranty.
Why you should choose WD Caviar Black:
WD Caviar Black delivers industry-leading performance that's perfect for hard-core gaming and intensive photo and video editing.
Sophisticated performance enhancing features deliver the speed you need to work faster, not longer.
High performance, high reliability, cutting edge technology and a 5-year limited warranty make up WD Caviar Black, the ideal drive for those who demand only the best.
This 7200 RPM speedster is at the top of its class when it comes to performance and reliability.
- Power computing applications such as intensive photo or video editing
- Maxed out gaming systems
- Adding lots of storage in desktop PCs
- Adding extra storage space for photos, videos and music
SATA 3 Gb/s interface - The industry standard and most common interface.
Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance.
Massive Cache - leading 64 MB cache size.
NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations which enables consistently higher performance.
Desktop / Consumer RAID environments - WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications. (RAID-0 / RAID-1)*
*Business Critical RAID Environments – WD Caviar Blue Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD's Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing.
Upgrading your drive is easy - WD Acronis TrueImage, available as a free download on the WD Support site, enables you to copy all your data to a new drive so you don't have to reinstall your operating system to get all the benefits of a new drive. Note: Bare drive does not include any cables or mounting hardware.
The WD advantage - WD puts our products through extensive Functional Integrity Testing (F.I.T.) prior to any product launch. On average, each new product goes through 600,000 hours of testing. WD also has a detailed Knowledge Base with more than 1,000 helpful articles. You can also call toll-free support 7 days per week in the U.S. and Canada. See the WD Support site for full details.
WD-certified packaging - All WD drives purchased from Amazon.com are shipped in WD-certified hard drive packaging. It is designed and fully tested to provide WD products with the highest of safety while in transit. With WD-certified packaging, you can rest assured that your WD hard drive will arrive safely, fully protected, in a non-descript, easy-open package.
Works with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac and Linux operating systems.
You might also consider:
Top Customer Reviews
1) 32MB buffer vs 16MB. This means the drive is overall faster because it can store more data in memory local to the drive. So if you access the same data frequently there is little or no drive access to get at the data.
2) Dual processors vs single. This will alleviate the load on your CPU as the drive itself has more processing power locally.
3) Five year warranty vs three. Five years is a lifetime in hardware. Basically, you're covered for longer than you will most likely use the drive.
The Caviar Black line comes in three four sizes; 1TB, 750GB, 640GB, and 500GB. The 1TB and 640GB are the fastest because they use a denser platter technology which allows the drive head to get at the data quicker. The 750GB and 500GB are no slouches though and the differences in speed will not be noticeable to most people under most real-world usage scenarios.
Caviar Black drives are the fastest affordable consumer drives available today. If you want faster you have to look that the VelociRaptor 10000RPM line of drives but expect to pay a lot more for a lot less storage.
I measured the speed of the 750GB model using the HD Tune utility and access time was a fast 12.5ms with less than 1% CPU usage on my 3.2Ghz Intel Quad Core setup. The drive runs cool at 32°C in my system and is quiet. Overall a great drive at a great price. You can't really go wrong.
If you want to save some cash while getting an absolutely absurd amount of disk space with SATA2 (3Gbps) plus 32MB of cache (older drives have 4-16MB), then get these drives. They are beasts.
After the Seagate fiasco, I vowed to go with an alternative. Western Digital came through with these monster hard drives. Get one. Get two. You will not be disappointed.
1. Ordered this drive, which arrived promptly. Drive was well packed with foam. As expected, it didn't come with anything else. It works fine, and to me it doesn't seem noisy.
2. Ordered Tripp Lite P940-19I Serial ATA (SATA) Signal Cable (19 Inches). Note: older computers won't support SATA. If you have a newer computer, it should work. SATA cables are red and about 1 cm wide, the older cables are about an inch wide and silvery. If your hard drive uses these, don't get this drive.
3. Ordered Tripp Lite P946-12I Serial ATA (SATA) Dual Power Adapter Cable - 4pin/2x15pin SATA - 12in. This is a "Y" adapter (optimistically planning for my next hard drive!), but a straight one would also work. I found out after it arrived I already had a SATA power adapter in my case. However, it wouldn't have reached with the available wiring length, so I still ended up using this.
4. In my case, the drive requires 4 screws to install it. These are short screws with large flat heads, the heads form a sort of "rail" for it to glide into the rack on. On opening my case, I realized that HP had thoughtfully provided extra screws for future upgrades! The drive does not come with screws.
5. Installed drive in rack, plugged in the two cables, no problem.
6. Get to Windows. Your new hardware icon should say "locating... installing" or something like that.
7. Go to Start-Computer (right click on Computer) - Manage - then to Disk Management. Find your new drive at the bottom of the screen, and click over the "drive 1" (or whatever) designation to make it "online".Read more ›
Do better next time plz..
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It's been years since my purchase and since then while other hard drives have failed me this one has been working flawlesslyPublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Bought 2 of these back in Jan 2009 for my DNS-323. That's a little over 7 years at this point, and the DNS-323 power supply finally gave up the ghost. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Robert P.
Part of a 3 disc raid 0 in my main pc and working flawlessly.Published 4 months ago by B. A. Laberdee
Purchased new in 2009. Still running rock solid with no problems.Published 5 months ago by H.F. Mudd