Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Western Digital My Passport Carrying Case - Black
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on July 11, 2011
The material of the carrying case is a huge disappointment. I purchased an earlier version of the Passport external drive and the associated carrying case was made of a sturdy material, appropriately described as a carrying case. This carrying "case" should be described as a pocket. It is made of soft material and appears to offer only scratch protection to the external drive.
33 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2011
This case is too small to fit WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB hard drive along with its cord. Only the hard drive fits well, but the cord doesn't in any way. Its also very thin with poor material.
I would not recommend this case!!
on July 21, 2011
The material is almost cloth and will offer no protection whatsoever. I made a mistake purchasing this. It doesnt hold the cable too well either and fear that it will tear due to the cable. Give this a skip.
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2015
When I bought the WD My Passport drive, this case was promoted as being compatible via the "Frequently bought together" routine. It is TOO SMALL. (See the photo. Missed it by about 1/2"-3/4". WD includes a list of compatible drives for this case as part of the packaging. Amazon needs to do a better job matching products. On the positive side, if and when I get a case that fits, I expect to be very pleased.
review image
on May 17, 2012
I expected a hard case that would offer some protection for my 1TB Western Digital Passport external hard drive. Instead, I found a soft cloth case; getting the hard drive to actually fit in the case with the cable included with the hard drive was a struggle. The cable bulged through the covering and zipping around it took some careful work. I'm not sure what value such a case has for a device of this size. It certainly isn't going to protect the hard drive from trauma. Maybe it just keeps it from collecting dust(?). I should have returned it. But because of the paperwork and low cost, I discarded it and bought an appropriate protective case for my hard drive elsewhere for about the same price.
on August 18, 2011
if you are looking for something that would protect your external upon fall this is definitely not the product for you. Don't even know why they still make soft cases for external harddrives. Also external is very crammed into it.
on November 8, 2011
If you are looking for scratch protection of your WD passport - this is it! Good quality case - its for you
review image review image review image
on January 9, 2013
This case fits the product described very well and offers reasonable protection - the pictures of the product showed this well. It was made specifically for the WD My Passport SE 750 GB/ 1TB editions. I'm not sure how the non-SE version would fit, seeing as it's a little larger.

I have seen other reviews criticize this product for not being exactly as described, and they are valid - it is more of a thick protective sleeve rather than a case. The main benefit is strong scratch protection - the case is incredibly soft (but durable). It's not great protection for placing the case in a pile, stack, or anywhere it's under pressure, as it's still potentially vulnerable to hard bumps, and drops.

The case has a divider for a USB cable. Adding the cable makes the fit within the case a little tight, but still well within reasonable limits. What I like about this case/ sleeve is that is is very compact, even with the USB cable packet into it - I can carry the hard drive around almost any of my pockets.

Furthermore, the zipper is intelligently shielded from the hard drive to avoid scratching the hard drive.

Amazon offers a third party case meant to give more protection. The fit is a little looser, and there is more space. The shell is hard, and offers much more protection bump and drop protection (although I've never done a durability test myself), but sacrifices the minimal size that this case offers. Overall I am pleased with and would recommend both cases.

In spite of the criticisms (and my agreeing with them), I still strongly prefer this case because of the small size. This case suites all of my basic protection needs. I am very pleased with it and would recommend it to others. It well deserves 5 stars.
on August 24, 2011
This case is only good for carrying the hard drive itself. The USB cable when in with the hard drive is a big look. There are other cases that are for the same mony that will fit and look better. I think this case should come free when you buy the passport itself.This case is only to keep the scratches off of you passport if it falls it will not be good.Just check out other cases before you choose 1 to buy.
on December 8, 2015
I have purchased this item years before, and I am very disappointed with the product that I just received.
The good ratings and five stars are from the people that received the original, but lately, people are giving low reviews because the new product is lacking.
It may look similar, but upon closer inspection, this is definitely not the item pictured (the case that I bought years back)

I uploaded pictures of my original to prove how different it is.
1. The new version lacks the WD logo on the zipper
2. The new version has an exposed zipper instead of the original finished look of a covered zipper
3. The new version is slightly smaller. The original fits perfectly, even with the cord. but I had to TRY to close the zipper with the new one. (like when you pack too many things in a suitcase) This was the biggest indication to me that something was not right. Hence why I pulled out the original to closely compare.
4. The new version has a different starting and ending point for the zipper. It is directly on the opposite diagonals of the case. However the original has them further on the bottom an top of the case. This made it easier to put the hard drive in.
5. The new version has a cheap small pocket inside. Compared to the original, it is made of cheap fabric, smaller, and lacks and elastic opening.

Obviously, I'm just trying to prove how different the products are. The major reason I would give it 2 stars is because of the tight fit. It is just too small for even the drives it claims to support. It is unfortunate that it is not the original. I will be returning and looking for another case.

I would give the original case 5 stars, but the new version they are distributing has clearly been downgraded to save on costs.
review image review image review image review image review image review image