BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by st vincent PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 8, 2013
Although it's smaller than my other TV's, it's the best TV I have. Superior picture. VERY slim! I was a bit worried about the brand name, but it appears Westinghouse is still making superior, high quality products. My next TV will most likely also be a Wesitnghouse. Thanks and keep up the good work.
on December 29, 2011
12/29/11

First off, with most any TVs these days the sound quality will be horrific. This is why there are surround sound systems, sound bars, and other various speakers available to use as auxiliary speakers for your TV. I have a nice pair of speakers hooked up to this TV.
Unfortunately, there is no way to turn the TV speakers off without cutting off the sound to your auxiliary speakers. The previous model had an option to turn the speakers off and reroute the sound to your TV audio output. This is a minor setback, and can be dealt with after some tweaking.

This TV is significantly better than the previous LCD model (the VR-4030) the menus have been updated, the picture is clearer and more defined.

If you're looking for a decent TV that won't break your bank, and will make your games look nice you've found it.
This TV can't be compared to a Samsung, or an LG.

I find the quality of picture to be above acceptable, and not grainy. My ps3 looks great, with minimal motion blur, and just enough crispness. The response time is also acceptaple, it's something around 6ms. If you don't know about response time, you should read up on it.

I sit about 8 feet away from the TV and I find this 40" to be a perfect size for the distance.

The fact that there are 3 HDMI ports on the back was a big plus for me. I love the slim, sleek, design of the frame. It doesn't distract from the picture on screen.

If anything goes wrong with this TV, I will update this review.

Also, the 120hz is hard to enable because it is based upon the incoming picture. If the device that is sending a picture to the TV is set to 60hz, then that is what you will see. Other reviewers complained about needing to press a button to re-size the picture after changing channels, that's something miniscule and completely ridiculous to complain about.

-Update 4/6/12
This TV is still working like a champ. Nothing has changed that makes me regret purchasing this model.
on April 16, 2017
Don’t touch a Westinghouse Product! Their TV broke in less than a year with minimal use at a vacation house. Their “customer service” is awful. They outsource everything to the Philippines eliminating US jobs. Over a static phone line with ,thick accents you are asked to send tons of photos, receipts, other excessive documentation, pay for postage $75 and a $40 box to ship all costing more time and money than the original TV and then they tell you they can’t help you unless you pay a ton more money even though TV is under warranty. George Westinghouse who founded this American company in 1886 would be turning over in his grave if he knew how horrible customers were treated.
on February 21, 2016
I have had this tv just over 1 year. I turned on this morning and at first had sound only, now black screen and no sound. The blue light is on but nothing. I did not purchase the warranty so I am just out $279.00.
on December 5, 2011
I bought this TV only 2 days ago for 379.99 + tax at Best Buy, bringing in my total to be around $411. Upon setting up the TV, I found it to be quite easy and not too bad. Getting the Cable box, Wii and Xbox set up to be configured to all my TV's inputs was pretty smooth. I'm relatively new to the whole understanding of the 480p/720p/1080p of HD digital channels and what not. Watching movies on Netflix from the Xbox was really clean and crisp and I really enjoyed the details the TV displayed. We also played Skryim for a bit to test the color settings and I found it decent but not crazy amazing. In my opinion, for $400, this was a pretty good buy that I am happy with for one of my most recent buys. TVs are getting better and better and I don't need the NEWEST thing that comes out every season but I find that this is a good enough TV that I am happy to see how it is offering me everything I need. I don't NEED that crisp amazing picture in motion or 29032 other features that TVs can offer me so it's just good enough for me as a fresh college graduate to splurge on using instead of my 15in LCD TV fit for a dorm room.
on January 7, 2012
I'd give it a solid 4 stars, except, every time you turn it off (not unplug it), it forgets several settings (anything on the "options" menu)... such as aspect mode, and noise reduction level. It always goes back to defaults.

I have been unable to find a way to access the presumed service menu to see if the defaults could be changed.

I'd been very happy with a Westy 37" I owned several years ago, but someone made a serious design flaw when they chose which settings to save/not-save between power cycles.

So as long as you like the defaults that Westinghouse chooses, you may be very happy with the set.
on February 26, 2012
This thing is JUNK. Bought last week and installed yesterday. When first on greens where quite green. Well before I could even start to use and adjust, the picture went out after thirty minutes. Called customer service and yep t.v. was bad. Searched the net and found a LOT of the Westinghouse t.v.s have this problem. It is a problem on the circuit board with a componant called T-con. I would highly recommend before you buy a Westinghouse product, querry the net on them and see for yourself. You have been warned.
on December 14, 2011
Terrible, grainy picture from computer via HDMI. Unlike every other monitor I know of - including other Westys - no way to force monitor timing for PC. Other monitors have one HDMI input dedicated for PC, or allow pixel-by-pixel mapping to override television overscan (this monitor does allow normal/fit/zoom but the picture is equally grainy on all three), or have a dropdown to choose the type of input. Since this is fed from my HDPC this was a showstopper. You could use the VGA connector, but you lose HDCP (meaning, no BluRay, no restricted content Media Center television, or anything else with [expletive deleted] Digital Rights licenses) You could use DVI, but there's no DVI input.

I just hit on the solution: I connected a cheap little DVI-to-HDMI adapter (you probably have one sitting around somewhere or they're just a few bucks) to the DVI output of the PC, then plugged the HDMI cable into that and then into the Westy. Although I lost sound (no great loss on this monitor anyway), the picture was instantly perfect...except it was too small. A check of Windows showed that it had reset the refresh to 24Hz, but changing that back to 60Hz filled the screen with razor-sharp 1920x1080p.

Too bad the manual doesn't mention this workaround - or simply provide a proper PC input in the first place. If your PC has only an HDMI output, then you might be stuck: I suppose you could kludge it with an HDMI>DVI adapter and then a DVI<HDMI adapter, but who knows what will come out the other end; you'd probably be better off with a different monitor in the first place. Note that a genuine TV signal (including a settop DVR or TIVO) will probably work perfectly straight out of the box.

The stand is not terribly sturdy, but it uses standard rear mounting points to hang. Oh, and here's an odd one: any custom settings (brightness, sharpness etc) are lost if the power is disconnected. But these minor annoyances are insignificant compared to the price.
1111 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2011
This television has a problem keeping Zoom Mode settings. When it is setup to Fill or Overscan, it keeps defaulting to Standard Zoom Mode, which won't allow the image to cover the whole screen. So, in order to get a full screen, when changing channels, it requires pressing Aspect button on the remote to change to Fill or Overscan. It is just a pain to have to do that every time.
on December 5, 2011
just bought at target for 399...not much of a sale but thought i was getting a good deal on led tv. however as the volume increase the bass and treble just sounds awful...tried adjusting but to no avail..beware of the muffled sound and choose wisely....
66 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.