Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Weston Burger Express Hamburger Press with Patty Ejector
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Style Name: Single With Patty Ejector|Change

on May 26, 2010
This burger press works as decribed. My kids eat burgers by the ton, but the cheaper "100% beef patties" are 50% fat! I use a better quality hamburger and add some filler to keep the fat content and price down. I think the uniform size cooks more evenly.

The spring that ejects the burger helps maintain their shape. I would suggest using "patty paper" on the top AND bottom of the burger. This prevents residue from the meat getting on the press, and makes the frozen patties easier to separate.
66 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2010
I have the cheapie plastic burger press (handheld) and it was a waste of $5.00. This Weston unit is a different story. If you put the wax burger papers down first and then add the meat, you end up with a perfect burger. The dial thickness is great to adjust the patty thickness. Easy to use, easy to dis-assemble and clean. A great product. You definately need to use the individual cut papers on the bottom - plus this makes stacking your burgers (and getting them apart later) much better. My wife and I pressed out 6 pounds of burger meat in less than 10 minutes.
11 comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2004
First impressions when this item arrived was that it was lighter than I thought it would be. I can say that I don't think that affects this press too much, but I do wish it was a little heavier.

In this design, the meat sits on the flat surface, while the 'cup' or 'hole' that the meat is pressed in to to form the burger is what you push down on. This is good, since if the cup/hole is on the bottom - it can be quite hard to get that burger out intact!

A big plus is that this press can make burgers of different thicknesses, but I do wish they'd pre-marked a couple of notches on the adjustment slide indicating the correct thickness for a 1/4 pounder and a 1/2 pounder. Easy to do - just annoying they didn't think of that!

Finally, when making the burgers, I found that a quick light spray of Pam lets you slide that sucker off every time, making perfect patties.

Overall - a good press with a couple of oversights that would have made it great - but I haven't yet found anything else that is better.

Let the grilling begin!

Happy shopping

JB
33 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2009
We had experimented with making our own hamburgers without any "hamburger press" = then we tried several inexpensive presses but it was to labor intensive. I went on Amazon to see what else was available and saw several = however they were all well over $100.00. Since there are only my husband & I we wouldn't be making enough hamburgers to justifying the price.
Then we saw = Weston Burger Express Hamburger Press with Patty Ejector = decided to try it since it was only $30.00, and were very much surprised at the ease with which we were able to make the hamburgers. Put a piece of waxed paper under and over the burger = press and you have a perfect hamburger ready to bag and freeze. Well worth the price. Only problem is DON'T FORGET THE WAXED PAPER.
22 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
Since you can adjust the thickness that's a plus, I like my sausage thinner than my burgers. Do you need the ejector? Well if you are like me and sometimes forget to put the paper on top YES. Haaaa Otherwise it will be a lot harder to get the pattie out. You can also use the ejector to press some if you didn't use enough meat and don't want to peel off the top paper. You can add meat by peeling the paper off though, then repressing. If adding meat put it near the area that doesn't have enough and it will help keep it from squeezing out around the edges. Do use the paper both top and bottom to make cleanup easier. Also the Weston paper, like most for this use, is waxed only on one side so remember to put that side against the meat to avoid sticking after frozen. That will be the shiney side of the paper and all face the same way in the box. Have the meat chilled when pressing, so when it freezes it doesn't stick to the paper, (not as much liquid/thin grease). I generally peel the paper away from the edges a little so it comes off easier later too. If you put in too much meat and it does squeeze out the sides, leave the press closed and use your finger to remove the excess, then open the press. As an old retired guy I enjoy using the thing and I don't pick a time when I have to rush things. Hope this helps someone.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2005
Hamburger cookout for 50 people and the burgers came out great. Did not stick, smooth round burgers. Perfect tool! Love it!
on April 22, 2011
Lots of advice from previous reviews. Use the wax paper. On first use, I created 5 lbs of hamburgers in less that 15 minutes. Very easy to clean up. My only issue is the adjustment mechanism took a couple of minutes to figure out.
on January 11, 2007
It's awesome. Makes it so easy to prepare hamburgers. I can pick the thickness (everyone is different. My grandson likes the "skinny" burgers, but I like the "chunkier" ones) AND have a perfect patty. It's fun to use as well.
on June 7, 2014
After hand washing and drying the burger press I proceeded to make eighteen, quarter pound patties this morning. I rolled the meat into a ball as instructed and used the Norpro 3404 Square Wax Papers on the top and bottom so I didn't have any issues with sticking - except for the two times I forgot to put the wax paper on top. Then the burger stuck to the metal top plate and squeezed up into the housing. When using the wax squares on top and bottom the patty is nicely contained and there is no mess.

After making three burgers and stacking them to the side I noticed my stack of burgers was lopsided. When I looked closely I found all three burgers were uneven - one side of the patty was much thicker than the opposing side. Upon inspection of the press the problem was readily apparent. Holding the press in my hand - I placed my finger on one edge of the top housing to act as a stop and pressed the plunger. My finger stopped the plunger on that side, but the other side the plunger plate extended another quarter of an inch. This must be happening on all the presses to some degree as mine is not a defective unit, but it is poorly designed or as one reviewer so fittingly said, "piss poor design". The root of the problem is way too much side-to-side play of the shaft, which allows the press plate to apply uneven pressure to the meat.

The manufacturer could easily fix the problem by using a larger diameter shaft on the plunger to remove all the side-to-side play or use the existing shaft and reduce the size of the hole. I'm often surprised when a company knows of a flaw yet does nothing to fix what is otherwise a sturdy product. Also, this press in not dishwasher safe - the instructions say to hand wash.

So did I make eighteen lopsided patties? No, I found a workaround. After making the patty, lift the cover and rotate the patty 180 degrees and press (but not too hard) to even out the patty somewhat. Am I going to keep the unit or return it? I don't know at this point, because in the end it did make a nice patty that grilled without falling apart.

YIKES! Almost 400 words on a darn burger press - I've obviously got way too much time on my hands.
on March 31, 2010
This burger press was exactly what I expected and is doing a fine job. I can now be more consistent in portioning. I have found that if you place the wax sheets (I cut out my own - the cost of a box of pre-cut papers and having them shipped is absolutely absurd!!!!) on the top and bottom of the patty before your press it, the patty is much easier to remove and is ready for use or storage.