Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 108 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 119 reviews
on April 6, 2015
This thing is a beast. I make my own cat food and this thing grinds up chicken like butter. A bit on the loud side, but what do you expect? The only thing, I wish it was all dishwasher safe. Get those furry friends off the commercial crap and get them healthy again. (I was feeding them expensive , grain free, dry food.) In their lifetime, 2 of my cats had their urethra blocked, with resulted in huge vet and hospital bills. Now, none of that and their coats have never been shinier and sooo soft. My 13 year old is jumping around the house, like he's a kitten again. Cats are pure carnivores. As in, they don't need ANY grains, or vegetables. Pet food companies put a ton of grain in their food and use parts of animals that have possibly been sitting with no refrigeration-Why? Because Corporations don't care about your pets health, only about how much money you are spending on their moldy, sickening food.
on September 6, 2013
I make cat food for my cat and needed a grinder that would grind chicken bones and this one does. I was amazed it took me an hour to grind up a 5 pound chicken and some extra liver for a couple of months worth of cat food.

Raw Cat Food Diet Recipe Made WITH Real Bones

2 kg [4.4 pounds] raw muscle meat with bones (chicken thighs and drumsticks or, better, a whole carcass of rabbit or chicken amounting to 2 kg; if you don't use a whole carcass, opt for dark meat like thighs and drumsticks from chicken or turkey and remove/don't use 20 to 25 percent of the bone; if using whole rabbit, which has a higher bone-to-meat ratio than chicken, dilute the extra bone by adding another 20 to 25 percent of plain muscle meat and skin and fat from rabbit, chicken, or turkey)

400 grams [14 oz] raw heart (best not to use use beef heart; if no heart is available, substitute with 4000 mg Taurine)

200 grams [7 oz] raw liver (don't use beef liver; if you can't find appropriate liver, you can substitute 40,000 IU of Vitamin A and 1600 IU of Vitamin D--but try to use real liver rather than substitutes)

NOTE: If you cannot find the heart or liver and decide to substitute with the Taurine/Vitamin A and D, then remember to REPLACE the missing amount of organ meat with the equivalent amount of muscle meat. In other words, if you cannot find heart, you add another 400 grams of the meat/bones. If you can't find the liver, add another 200 grams of meat/bone.

16 oz [2 cups] water

4 raw egg yolks (use eggs from free-range, antibiotic-free chickens if you can)***

4 capsules raw glandular supplement, such as, for example, multigland supplement by Immoplex.

4000 mg salmon oil (see note at bottom of recipe*)

800 IU Vitamin E ("dry E" works well)

200 mg Vitamin B-50 complex (i.e., four capsules of B-50)

1.5 tsp. Lite salt (with iodine)

(optional: 4 tsp. psyllium husk powder (8 tsp. if using whole psyllium husks; see note at bottom of recipe**)

NOTE: If you will not be using the food immediately and freezing for more than a week or two, toss in 4000 mg of additional Taurine to make up for what may get lost during storage. It is also not a bad idea to sprinkle extra Taurine from a capsule on the food as you're serving it two or three times a week, just to be certain your cat is getting plenty of this critical amino acid.

1. Remove about half of the skin from the muscle meat. Chunk up (i.e., cut) as much of the muscle meat (minus most of the skin if using chicken or turkey, but leave skin on if using rabbit) as you can stand into bite-sized (nickel-sized, approximately) pieces. Save the chunked meat for later. Do not grind it.

2. Grind the raw liver, any skin, raw meaty bones, and raw heart. Once ground, stir this meat/bone mixture well and return to refrigerator.

3. Fill a bowl with 2 cups of water and whisk everything (non-meat) except the psyllium. If you had to replace liver with Vitamin A/D or replace heart with Taurine, add the substitutes now. Add psyllium at the end -- if you're using it -- and mix well. Finally, put the three mixtures together--the "supplement slurry" that you have just mixed, the ground up meat/bone/organs, and the chunks of meat that you cut up by hand. Portion into containers and freeze.

Don't overfill the containers. The food expands when frozen and you don't want lids popping off. Thaw as you go. The food shouldn't be left thawed in the refrigerator more than 48 hours before serving. To serve, portion into a 'zipper baggie' and warm under hot water in the sink. NEVER microwave the food. Cats like their food at something approximating "mouse body temperature."

*Every two or three days, I suggest sprinkling a few drops of fresh salmon oil from a newly-opened capsule on to the cats' food. The Essential Fatty Acids in salmon oil are extremely fragile, and since we do not know exactly how much gets lost during freezing, I think it's wise to use a bit of fresh salmon oil directly on the food a few times a week. Most cats love the flavor.

**Not all cats require additional fiber (psyllium) in their diet. If your cat has been eating low-quality commercial food for several years, especially dry food, she may have lost bowel elasticity and may benefit from the extra fiber. As a general rule, I recommend using psyllium when an adult cat first gets raw food. I rarely add much psyllium to my adult cats' diet. Bear in mind that some cats seem to get constipated without additional fiber, whereas other cats seem to get constipated if they get too much fiber. Each cat is unique, and you'll have to judge what works best for your cat.

***If you don't want to waste the egg whites and don't feel like making an angel food cake, poach them, grind them, and throw them in with the food. A nice phosphorus-free source of protein.
on March 10, 2014
It runs a little slow like someone said but I don't mind.
I think, actually, it's safer that a meat grinder goes not too fast.
I'd be scared if I have to rush to stuff meat inside.
It's noisy, yes, but not intolerable.
Its body is made of plastic, which I like. It makes the machine
lightweight and less likely to be scratched or rusty.
Cleaning is easy but little bit of sinew and fat get caught on the screw
and didn't go through so I had to pull them off while cleaning.
Good thing is it goes really steady and smooth.
I don't need to process a lot of meat so the speed doesn't bother me.

Update after two weeks:
Change the blade to a sharper one and it's much faster.
So spend $20 more and there's a brand new machine.
Can you imagine the difference made by two different types of
blades? Starkly different results on the speed. The one provided by the
manufacture is very dull and square shaped, new one is sharp and
swirled.
on July 30, 2014
I would give it a 5-star if the gear was metal ( but factory used plastic), therefore, it’s only worth a 4-star product. This heavy-duty meat grinder works very well and it grinds meat very fast, very easy to use and very easy to clean, all parts come out separately for easy cleaning, if you only use a meat grinder a couple of times a month or once a while, this is the grinder you need, no need to spend couple hundred dollars to buy a meat grinder, this small, compact meat grinder works just effectively as a $300 dollar meat grinder. We decided to buy a meat grinder after my wife and I spent over $20 from a grocery store on ground pork and got home realized the meat went bad, but we cannot return the smelly meat because this store has no return policy on meats and vegetables, not many stores sell ground pork ( lots of ground beef ), buying ground pork from store is you'll get lots of FAT pork, I do believe store grounds pork uses lots of FAT pork as possible, buying your own meat grinder, you can strip all the FAT out and grinds only the lean pork your want, so, we’ll never waste money and get the most FAT meat any more and we’re very happy after our first use of this Weston 575 watt electric heavy duty meat grinder.
on February 14, 2015
I bought this to grind whole chickens, skin, bones and all. I did the job well and fast. I thought the price was reasonable as I did not want to spend 200 or more. I went to a department store and they had one, different brand with a similar price. The instructions of that one cautioned against grinding bones. This grinder did a great job. Chicken, still slightly frozen, was ground in 15 minutes. I defrosted it for 24 hours in the fridge before the procedure and it was less slippery that way. It arrived promptly about 4 days after I ordered it. No significant assembly required. Unfortunately I put some parts in the dishwasher and they lost the shine. So it will need hand wash.
on July 21, 2013
This model has been rated BARF friendly (good for pet food, grinds smaller chicken bones) on various web sites, but it IS NOT. It will not grind the smallest chicken bone, and states twice in the instructions not to put bones in it. If you are grinding chicken, you may run into the problem I had. I cut up boneless chicken breasts into 1" cubes as the directions stated, after removing any visible tendons. This thing sucks the meat in faster than you can put it in the hole, so it does do 3 lb. a minute as it claims. However, I still had to take it apart 3 times during the grinding of 3 lbs of meat due to "strings" of chicken totally jamming up the grinder and blade. Extremely fast, but what's the sense if you have to constantly stop and unjam it? Did not try any other meat as I use it strictly for pet food and my cat only eats chicken. I imagine it would be great for sausage and grinding beef, but pet owners beware, this IS NOT for anyone wanting to grind small bones. Gave it a 3 star rating for this reason as it is advertised elsewhere as being meant to grind bones (this is actually the Wesson 8 model) and the fact that they do not mention in the sales ad you need food safe silicone spray to use it. By the way, this is simply Pam or any other non-stick spray, so you may actually have it in your house and not realize it. But it would be nice if you knew you needed it BEFORE you cut up your meat. Model is smaller than most which is nice, and not as heavy. Machine did not shake when in use, but grinder did not seem to lock into place as tightly as it should. For the price, not a bad grinder for making sausage or hamburger, but watch out when grinding chicken. Also, very cold meat grinds much easier than room temp meat or slightly cooled meat. Would not recommend for pet food.
on December 5, 2013
Grinds cubed meat faster than 2 people can make meat cubes.

Much better than old electric grinder we used for years. Only problem is meat must be cut in length to one inch; unit jams if fed 5" strips of meat. We use olive oil to lube screw bearing, cutter and screw cavity. With olive oil, cleaning is quick, motor runs easy.

We make ground beef for our home use, I cut round steak or other lean meat & pile on grinder. Wife feeds grinder, packs ground meat in zipper bags, sometimes with red wine. This grinder makes process less noisy, quicker and cleaning after is quicker. 20# is ground & bagged quickly.
on July 13, 2014
This meat grinder is a breeze to use. I had been using a cheaper electric model prior to this that died. This has easily cut my grinding time in half. It's fast, smooth, and effortless to grind meat for burgers, sausage, or other uses. It is fairly quiet compared to my old meat grinder and seems to work faster. If you put a few slices of bread through your meat grinder at the end of grinding, it helps to make the appliance attachments much easier to clean. I also recommend the use of a bottle brush for getting into the crevices.
on November 17, 2010
My husband and I just processed a deer and made about 20lbs of burger using this machine. It was faster than any other grinder I've ever seen, and I didn't even follow the guidelines (didn't chill the meat first, didn't cut it into 1" cubes - it was room temperature and large strips, and it all went right through). I couldn't be happier with this machine! It was easy to put together, take apart, and clean too!
on October 29, 2013
We shopped all around comparing all kinds of grinders (from $99-$500 models), and are so happy we chose this one! We've now processed one huge elk and two mule deer with this grinder, and it hasn't had any issues. Super easy to clean and operate. I think it easily grinds the 2-3 lbs per minute it advertises on the box - I was able to grind up about 15 lbs of chunk elk meat in about 5 minutes. This has saved us hundreds of dollars at the butcher and we also know exactly what is going into our burger meat (I've heard some butchers co-mingle your deer/elk burger meat with other hunters' animals). Plus, I don't like having cow fat added to my burger meat. I highly recommend this product.