Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 15, 2009
As the owner of a small business, I'm looking for insight that will help me understand my clients and make decisions that will help my business grow, especially in our current economy. I pre-ordered this book based on the strength of Dr. Luntz' previous book, Words That Work, which offered some great tips on how to communicate more effectively. While he and I are on different sides politically, his new book does not seem to have any party affiliation (the first quote he uses is from JFK!). His writing style is engaging and entertaining, and fairly balanced as well.

I found the chapter on jobs and work ("I Can't Get No Satisfaction") to be the most interesting. Not only does he talk about what workers want from their employers, he also turns the tables and discusses what employers expect from their employees. Putting both in the same context is revealing, highlighting the areas where the two sides are out of synch. The aspects of an employer that Luntz lists as being important to employees are valid when customers look at a company as well.

His analysis of the "2020 Generation" was an eye-opener. The picture Luntz paints is of a large group of consumers who think and act (and react) so differently than their predecessors, so the old way of thinking no longer applies. Luntz' interviews and focus groups sounded like they were painful for the media executives to observe, yet they produced some good advice on how to appeal to this segment.

The chapter on politics was useful, although I might have read it differently than then author intended. I found value by looking at the voters as consumers and government as the product. The "lessons" section at the end of the chapter is as relevant to a business, or to any interpersonal relationship, as it would be to an elected representative.

The old joke is that a consultant is someone who looks at your watch and tells you what time it is. Luntz is effective in this role - to me, his identification of our priorities show what people around me are thinking, which is a valuable lesson to learn.
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2017
Luntz' life work is polling people. If you really want to know about America, this book is full of insight that is just unavailable everywhere else. This is data, and everywhere else is opinion. Yes he is a conservative, but so are a lot of Americans. Read Luntz, Lakoff, and Thomas Frank, and you will have a great view of the political spectrum in this country....
on December 10, 2012
I bought this book as I really like Frank Luntz and wanted to hear what he had to say about what Americans really want, how they think and if they actually tell you the truth. I am a small
business owner and thought it could give me an expanded insight into the thinking of customers, which this book does deliver. Overall worth reading. He does talk about politics in the last quarter of
the book so if you're tired of that subject you can skip it. It would have been interesting if he could have let us know ahead of time why half the country wasn't interest in voting in the Presidential
election however, as he has done numerous focus groups on this subject this year.
on May 10, 2010
I picked up What Americans Really Want...Really: The Truth About Our Hopes, Dreams, and Fears by Frank Luntz, because his previous book, Words That Work: It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear, is one of my favorite business books.

So, I was anxious to read What Americans Really Want...Really, and I think it's also a great book for marketers.

The subtitle of the book is The Truth About Our Hopes, Dreams, and Fears, and as the title spells out, the book explains what Americans want. Pretty basic concept, and an important thing to know for those in the business of marketing and selling things.

All of the chapters won't be pertinent to everybody, but some that should have widespread application are "What Americans Really Want in Their Daily Lives," The Five Things That Matter Most," and "The 2020 Generation."

If you're not familiar with Frank Luntz, he's a business and political consultant, as well as a pollster, and essentially, his thing is to explain the present and predict the future.

Anyhow in marketing or trying to reach customers in any sector would benefit from this book.
on April 12, 2011
I'm actually listening to the audiobook version for the second time. This book, published in 2009, is based on the author's career of polling and interviewing thousands of Americans on a large variety of topics. Tha author, Dr. Luntz, is able to provide vivid pictures of how Americans think and feel about just about everything -- getting up in the morning, food, politics, the environment, cars, sex, you-name-it. He has a nice sense of humor and has written in a conversational and entertaining manner. While Dr. Luntz sometimes speaks of his own viewpoints, I never got the feeling that they influenced his understanding or presentation of the data. I'm a writer, writing for Americans, so find his data and insights very helpful for understanding my audience.
on July 26, 2016
Very well written! Luntz really delivers solid content cover to cover. Whether reading for curiosity, strategic planning, or rethinking the operational approach for an organization...this is a 'must read'.
on August 8, 2010
We, as consumers, are looking for companies that do more than provide products that meet our needs as well as deliving great customer service i.e. no more "automated answering systems".

We,as citizens, are looking for our local, state, and Washinton DC elected repersenatives to work together to make the USA a better place and not to be self-serving and too far left or right--understand What Americans Really Want, Really.
Reading this book and having our friends and others reading Frank Luntz's book would promote more dialog to getting the USA couse righted.
on February 1, 2015
A sobering, realistic view of the "average" American's life and desires.
on January 17, 2017