Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 190 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 18, 2014
WHAT I DID FOR LOVE is the fifth book in the Wynett, Texas series. This book is only loosely connected to the others and can be read on its own without missing anything. Georgie York and Bramwell Shepard were teenage stars together on a TV series. Georgie had a crush on Bram that he ruthlessly demolished. She has hated him ever since. While Georgie was the good girl, her marriage to the perfect guy failed when he left her for another woman. Now Georgie has to deal with the press and tabloids. When Georgie and Bram meet up again, the antagonism continues. One night the two are in Las Vegas together and wake up naked and married. Georgie, tired of the press, convinces Bram to stay married to help them both. Bram's self destructive actions destroyed his career and he is trying to recover. Being married to Georgie allows him to have the opportunity to resurrect his career.

Georgie and Bram are a very interesting couple. This book is very much focused on the characters relationship. The two fight constantly. It takes Georgie quite a while to take control of her life with other people, but she is strong with Bram. These two people know too much about one another but truly don't know one another until the book starts. By the end of the book, the two are able to merge their entire history into something they can live with.

The book is clever and sexy. The scene where Bram and Georgie avoid the paparazzi by going into a high end adult store and end up modeling underwear is super hot.

My only complaint about this book is that Bram has a lot of baggage that I didn't feel got enough resolution. I felt that after all the grief he gave Georgie that she forgave him way too quickly.

Despite that, the pages of this book turned quickly. One thing I really like about Phillips books is that I tend not to like characters in the beginning that I end up really liking in the end. This book was that way. I really felt that I had traveled on a journey with these characters and was satisfied with their happy ending.
on August 7, 2017
I echo much of the reviewers sentiment below in that "What I Did For Love" is not among Susan Elizabeth Phillips (SEP)'s strongest books. I was a huge fan of the Chicago Star series, including my favorites, "It Had To Be You", "Nobody's Baby But Mine", "Match Me If You Can" because she brought amazingly believable, real characters together and every minute of it was exciting. Not so in this new book. Full disclaimer here: I stopped reading about 70 pages in because the chemistry was just not there.
on July 20, 2017
I love Susan Elizabeth Phillips and I savor each book and reread them. This is the only one where I disliked each of the main characters and my dislike continued throughout the book. I just tried rereading it and nothing has changed. They are whiny, the constantly lying to one another is exhausting and I couldn't relate to the whole LA actor environment.
on April 6, 2009
As romance novels go, this was pretty entertaining. The dialogue between the two main characters is well paced and witty. The plot is fun - the notion of waking up hung over and married to an ex-flame in Las Vegas. I can only give it 3 stars though because the ending is muddled. It's like the author wasn't sure how to end the story (as in all novels of this genre - how to bring the two lovers together) and ties up the loose ends of too quickly and unsatisfying. Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrible ending, in fact I liked what the characters had become; I just found the way Bram's revelation of how he truly felt about Georgie was weakly written.
on November 15, 2009
When your life is falling apart, the last thing you want to be is famous with paparazzi on your tail, ok the second to last. The most humiliating thing would be to have the man, whom you loathe, see the paparazzi show you photos of your ex and his new wife and their happy news. This is the kind of day that Georgie York is having. She is known for being a spunky romantic heroine and not only has her film career tanked lately, but now her public image is suffering.

When she and the same man, former costar and super hunk Bramwell Shepard, run into each other in Vegas during what was supposed to be a girls get away weekend, turned Georgie in Sin City alone, you never know what might happen. When she wakes up the next morning she finds out that they were married the night before, a fact which neither remembers. Now she has a fake marriage, a fake husband and no clear way out. So she and Bramwell strike up a deal to stay together for a year. But, with Bran's housekeeper, her father and a stuck up agent as well as her ex, can they last a year. More importantly what will happen when they live together and start to learn more about each other than what the public knows?

Will they pull closer or further away when suddenly they are stuck in the house under quarantine, thanks to her ex, and what each really desires surfaces?

I enjoyed delving into the lives of the paparazzi and Hollywood stars. I think that Ms. Phillips did a wonderful job detailing just how much the "jackals" are like their namesake. What I Did for Love was an interesting story for me to read; while I missed Ms. Phillips football men I found that Bram had enough charm of his own to keep me interested in the story. I had fun reading What I Did for Love and think I learned a few things along the way. You got to love it when the bad boy makes good after all these years.

Tanya
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed
on June 2, 2009
When I first began reading this novel I noticed, as some other reviewers have noted, that the parallels between the Brangelina/Jennifer Aniston love triangle were many. That made me nervous. But, as I read on I was swept into the world of Georgie York, spurned ex-sitcom star, and Bram Shepard, the man who lived to make her life miserable but was destined to love her all the same.

Some may argue that this is a typical romance novel, with an obvious ending and vaguely trite storyline. My response to that would be that Ms. Phillips took a "ripped from the headlines" piece of celebrity gossip and turned it on its head.

The wit that's evident in every piece of the author's writing shines through in her two main characters. Their exchanges had me laughing out loud. And the cast of secondary characters (along with their own side stories) provided the perfect balance to what could have been an obvious conclusion.

I've never had the privilege of reading any other works by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. But, after reading "What I Did for Love" you can bet that I'll be seeking out her other works.

*** NOTE: This is completely unrelated to the story itself, but I should warn anyone who enjoys show tunes that you WILL have the "Chorus Line" song of the same title stuck in your head on a constant loop while reading this novel! (Good thing it's a decent song.)
on July 5, 2013
I read this novel several years ago, when I had never heard of Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and absolutely loved it. It's the story of two child stars all grown up in Hollywood. Only SEP could make a wonderful novel about something that holds no interest whatsoever for me. The twists and turns that both Georgie and Bram take in their lives to finally find happiness, with each other no less, makes for one great read. I had gotten this book from the library when I read it the first time, I snagged it for my kindle when it went on sale and have read it again since then. It's the kind of book you can never read too many times.
on April 24, 2010
Boy oh boy. Georgie's a one of a kind character. She grew up on television starring in one of the most popular television shows with her costar Bram. Bram was always doing drugs and getting drunk on set-she never fully forgave him for ending the show for them. And then years go by before they meet or talk again and by that time, they still hate eachother. And then Georgie goes to Vegas after her husband dumps her for some other actress that's prettier and better than her. Bram ends up in Vegas too and then something none of them expected happens.

I really enjoy the plot line of this book. There's a love/hate relationship going on between Georgie and Bram. The writing was superb and Susan Elizabeth Phillips captured me into this book through all 401 pages.

Will I reread it?
Most defiantly. When I'm looking for a fun, cute read that will make my heart stop-this will be the one.

I'm usually not drawn to books with older characters (because I'm a teenager) and I relate to teenage characters better than thirty something characters. But this book pulled me in, chewed me, and then spit me out at the last page where my heart collapsed in satisfaction.
on March 28, 2010
Susan Elizabeth Phillips does it again! This is a great book! It has everything good books have: excitement, suspense, drama, love and danger. When I first began reading this novel, about a famous actress who is thrown over by her equally famous actor husband in favor of another woman (an Angelina Jolie type),I immediately thought of Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt. Even the storylines were familiar. In the book, the female actress,Georgie York, is a veteran of a long-running television sit-com like Aniston. Yet, there were differences. In this story the actress, Georgie York, marries another actor, Bram Shepard (a Brad Pitt lookalike), on the rebound. Then the fun starts! How can they convince the world, especially the ex-husband who spurned Georgie, that they are a real couple? I will admit the story had a predictable ending, and there were a few things I didn't like. But the story was good, and it works! I wish Jennifer Aniston as much success as Georgie York!
on September 14, 2015
This is one of my favorite books. Great characters and story. All SEP books have people who struggle. But they always come through to the very best of happy endings.

This book is NOT part of the Wynette, TX series. There are overlap characters, but they never leave California. The labeling could cause some people to be confused or disappointed. I just find it annoying, because it is inaccurate.