Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 698 reviews
on May 30, 2013
Let me say that I love Malcolm Gladwell books. All of them seem to offer interesting facts about things we often write off as magic or unexplainable. This book is no different. Like all his other books, Gladwell tells a series of stories with outcomes that all tie back to a single overarching point. All of these storys and the points he made in the book where very interesting. This book is an excellent read for someone considering going into business or bringing a product to market. Some of the points in this book can be used to better understand your customer and the market to reason and rationalize a product and business strategy that is more likely to be successful. The book helps the reader understand that these things are not just magic or things that can be taken at chance, but things that can be predetermined through research.
on July 5, 2017
This book was entertaining--the writing is mesmerizing, and told so effortlessly. It also is insightful, profoundly in some cases, but mostly in a common sense sort of way that inspires one to live better.
on December 13, 2012
Gladwell is definitely one of my favorite authors. His other books are absolutely 5-star in my opinion. I chose to rate this at only 4 stars. "What the Dog Saw" doesn't REALLY have a centralized theme. It is a collection of "short stories" that dives into a specific person's (different for each chapter, of course) perception of a product/event/etc. As always, the book is extremely insightful, but some of the subjects really didn't pique my interest. This is also the case in some of his other books....however, in these other books, each chapter is a sort of building block of the central theme of the book, making them relevant and memorable even if the subject is not right up one's alley.

Overall, Gladwell is an excellent writer and this book is more than worth diving into. I recommend this book and anything else written by him.
on August 24, 2017
Good stories to read.
on January 3, 2015
I like Gladwell but with this one by nature being more scattered, it is less enjoyable for me. It is a collection of essays and he makes his point in each essay. The downside is that I don't expect any section at the end to tie all the stories together and I regret it. I have had to remind myself that this is not a cohesive book but essays. For me, a little less satisfying but each article is well-written and conclusive on its own. Just personal preference. His still is style clean, crisp, and insightful.
on December 1, 2014
If you enjoyed Gladwell's other books then I'm sure you'll enjoy this one as well. It's still his usual style, but he focuses on "smaller" topics. As always he takes a look at things we generally take for granted and challenges the general beliefs we have. It makes for interesting and quick reading. I don't know that I enjoyed it quite as much as his other books, but perhaps because it's almost like a sequel and those are never quite as good right? Still if you enjoy his books then you have to read this one.
on June 25, 2013
The book was broken up into 3 parts/sections, all articles from the magazine he writes for. The 1st section blew me away, the subjects he writes about, and how everything intertwined together in the end of each article, this is the Malcolm Gladwell we all have learned to love from his first 3 books. The second section of articles were well written, but not as intense as the 1st. Then the third section was also good writing but I couldn't get into most of the articles. I`m giving this 4 stars because it was written very well, interesting most of the time, and kept my attention most of the time. I`m taking away the one star because my mind did drift away towards the end of this reading.
on November 15, 2016
Interesting book. A bit disappointed tho, after reading the complete collection from Gladwell i can say this is one of the weakest storylines.
on June 4, 2010
This is a collection of brilliant essays that were originally magazine articles. In a magazine these would have been in context, with contemporary relevance, and there would have been feedback in the next issue. Having them in book form makes for choppy reading. You might say that Gladwell's theme is social psychology, but the subjects are very disparate and he goes off at many tangents. When he writes about a technical subject he often approaches it by interviewing the experts, and chats about them and their personalities. A list of the topics gives only a faint indication of the number of ideas:
How to sell kitchen gadgets
Ketchup
The Challenger disaster
Creativity and age
Football
Criminal profiling
How to succeed in business
Job interviews
Pit bulls
on November 10, 2013
This book is a compilation of some the authors articles published on The New Yorker.
Always interesting and varied topics as expected from Gladwell, in many of them linking two apparently unrelated subjects that actually are connected. I don't give it 5 stars because -as expected from Gladwell- reading sometimes gets a little boring because of too many examples and repetitions about the same point (it kinda makes you go, "OK, got it")
But all in all, a great book to pick up and read one or two articles every once in a while since.