Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 82 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 138 reviews
on April 25, 2016
I was required to purchase this book for a class on nutrition. I didn't expect to be so surprised at the content. Shortly after cracking the spine, my jaw dropped at some of the details of this book. It was incredibly eye opening and I'm very glad I was forced to read it. This class happened three years ago, but I still have this book as a constant reminder of What to Eat.
on November 17, 2014
This book is a little out of date (2007 or so) but it's invaluable as far as a reference too. It's so full of so much information that doesn't go out of date and I love Marion's style of writing. She rarely tells you not to do something or to do something. It usually comes down to, if you like it, do it and if you don't, don't. However she does gently prod you to move into a healthier direction.
on April 7, 2016
I LOVED this book. It's very long and encyclopedic, but I love Nestle's take on things and her matter of factness. And I love that she gives permission to eat *some* junk food. She acknowledges that we are human - but encourages people to be careful about their dose of junk food. She doesn't exactly tell you what to eat, but she lays out some parameters for figuring it out on your own. Which is as it should be. I really prefer her middle of the road style of getting you the info and letting you decide. The info about how products are displayed in the supermarket was fascinating. I will probably reread it. My biggest criticism is that it's a very big book - took me quite awhile to get through it.
on July 17, 2017
Great book, would highly recommend to others. NOT boring or dry, very realistic and interesting as well
on July 3, 2017
I'm a big fan of Marion Nestle's research and writing. This book is fantastic.
on July 7, 2013
This book goes into detail on most difficult and controversial food topics and explains the "so what?" And "how does this effect me?". Organics, seafood, misleading marketing tactics, meat, dairy, FDA-USDA-EPA interactions and policies, are all explained in detail. You are able to cut through the overwhelming profit push by the businesses who sell food to get to the more important "how does this affect my health?" Some sections the i wish had been explained in here were Flouride in drinking water, water filtration choices, emergency food storage, canned foods, and herbal remedies. For normal everyday eating however, the authors advice is enlightening and sound.
on August 2, 2017
I hate cooking but I want to be healthy
on May 13, 2015
Marion Nestle provides a voice of reason in the chaos of gluten-free this, soy-free that, more protein, fewer carbs, no sugar... Her advice is sensible and down-to-earth, and she has no big company behind her telling her what to peddle.
It's a long book, full of information, but still readable, and I emerged feeling enriched by her knowledge.
on August 6, 2016
I *love* this book. It's my go-to on grocery shopping, understanding marketing tricks, and seeing past the conflicting food messages to read a natural-food discussion from a world-renowned dietitian. I checked this out from the library several years ago and recently decided to add it to my personal collection.
on August 17, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I am an avid reader/listener about all things food and it was good for me to get back to what science is saying as opposed to the fads and fancies that pop up all the time which as Nestle so resoundlingly argues, usually have no science and a lot of food industry backing behind them. There has been a big push to forget about the medical warnings relating to fats and cholesterol in the last five or so years. This book makes me very cautious about that. I am sure that a nutritionist of Nestle's stature would be sure to preface a new edition with corrections if there was convincing science behind those ideas. I made my living as a researcher (albiet in another field) and the intricacies of the research studies and the political and industry spin put on results are very familiar to me and I know what she is talking about. So I would tell anyone confused by all the stuff about food out there, read this sensible book and follow the sensible, non-hysterical but careful approach Marion Nestle describes for us.