Customer Reviews: What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on March 3, 2007
Lysa TerKeurst's book, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, is all about divine surrender. Through scripture and personal experience, she serves as a guide as to what can be attained through developing a wonderful and complete relationship with God. She begins her story with what took place during a plane ride when God told her to give away her Bible. It was a tremendous decision because her personal Bible had all of her notes and several highlighted, tear-stained memories. Yet, she did as she was guided to do--and it changed not only her life, but the lives of two others.

The author shares that she was adopted by her stepfather when her Mom remarried. As the mother of three biological children, to adopt was a hard decision for her. Yet, once she connected with two teenage boys from war-torn Liberia, Africa, she began to reconsider. She knew that she would have her hands full with five children. Still, she decided to heed God's command, and states in her book how fulfilling life has been since she did that.

Lysa shares many other stories of her life. Her husband and she once found themselves blessed with a little extra money. She excitedly began to plan how she would spend the money. Her husband wanted to give the money to the ministry! She was beside herself because they were always giving and giving. She started out using kind words to persuade him and when that didn't work, she became cold and angry. So, he relented. Yet, God had a lesson in store for her! Once she gave into God's will, she was able to find the peace and the object she had been searching for.

The book is chock full of all kinds of wisdom and direction. There are also numerous Bible Study questions and quotations for all readers to follow. I enjoyed the book and its message.

Lysa TerKeurst is providing a simple word of advice for all women to take to heart: Let Go and Let God!

Armchair Interviews says: Simple but powerful message.
on March 17, 2013
I like Lysa TerKeurst. I enjoy her on the radio, and I appreciate her encouragement and verses posted on Facebook. I wish I could say the same about this book.

A small group of eight of us used this book as a Bible study. An earlier (5-star) reviewer stated: "It is not so deep we lose the new Christians and all of us can learn something new from this Book." Unfortunately, therein lies the problem of this book. It is not deep, in fact it's quite shallow.

The first two or three chapters started out well, and we looked forward to continuing on. I liked the suggestion to begin a "blessings book," noting when I had said YES, and God's awesome responses.

The middle of the book was a disappointment. Lysa described conflicts in her marriage, and their biggest problems seemed to be (dis)agreeing on what curtains to purchase while decorating their house. That's nice for them, but in reality, that doesn't describe the deeper issues in any marriage.

I also took issue with the variety of Bible versions used in the text. Pick one version, preferably one that is a literal translation, and then stick with it. We don't need to twist God's word and find different versions just to suit a particular story we want to tell.

She finally lost me at the end of the book (Ch. 8/sacrificial giving section). When planning a long-awaited clothes shopping trip, Lysa learned of a friend who desperately needed $100--the exact amount Lysa had saved to buy clothes. Lysa gave her money to her friend. Lysa worried that her shopping friends would be disappointed, but instead she was delighted to learn that they gifted her with $700 to go on her shopping spree. Seven hundred dollars!! I live a comfortable enough life, but a $700 clothes shopping spree is outside the realm of anything I have ever experienced, and I can only imagine that's the case with most of Lysa's fans. The chapter was devoted to the idea that, if you give, God will give you more back--in a material way. (This was indicated not only by the shopping spree tale, but also Lysa's teaching example to her child, where Lysa asked her daughter to lend her $10 to buy lunch, and when her daughter refused, Lysa said she'd repay her extra. Her daughter finally(!) begrudging(!) agreed(!), and Lysa's point was that, unknown to her daughter, $50 was waiting at home in the mailbox as a birthday gift.) The whole chapter smacked of a false prosperity gospel, was completely unbelievable, and made Lysa seem unrelatable.

It comes down to this: if you want to better understand and study your Bible, read your Bible. Listen to specific Bible *teachings,* not someone else's happy or skewed interpretations, or their collection of various versions of verses, or their not-so-sad tales of woe. Ask the Holy Spirit to SHOW you what God wants you to know, and take books like this with a grain of salt.
77 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2008
We have an Aglow Bible Study with all types of Christian Churches represented and find the Bible Study is perfect for the beginner and the seasoned Christian women. It has flowed with where we are and what
helps each of us. It is not so deep we lose the new Christians and all of us can learn something new from this Book.

We have about 18 ladies involved and I would recommend this for any
Bible Study Group seeking common growth in the common ground of our
belief in Jesus Christ.
on July 26, 2007
This is really a great book. I'm taking it just one chapter at a time for maximum value - I want to remember what I'm reading. Each chapter has a study guide at the end. I would highly recommend this book for those who are interested in a closer walk with God.
on April 9, 2014
So far I have only read a few chapters & have not taken the time to write out answers in the Bible Study portion. I have reviewed them & pondered some. This is a wonderfully challenging book, an inspiration to a closer relationship with God, Lysa is gentle but confident in her approach. Highly recommended!!
on December 4, 2014
I love Lysa Terkeurst and this is one of her best studies. You will not be disappointed. I took a great desk of information and insight away from this study. A good one to revisit yearly do that you don't lose sight.
on June 1, 2015
We just finished this book used in our Ladies' Bible study. We also used the DVD which is optional for 6 sessions and did a wrap up for our 7th week. There is a workbook also, but as the leader I only used it as a reference for additional discussion options. The videos are only 30 minutes which still allows for discussion and prayer time since we meet for approximately 2 hours. I really enjoyed the author's teaching style in her writing and video sessions. Her lessons included personal testimony, were scripturally based, and very understandable and down to earth. I would definitely be interested in more of her materials.
on February 24, 2014
This is a great devotional book that seems to be very relevant every time I read it. I have another one (different author) that is dated that I try to read every day and if I have time I read this one with it. This one is NOT dated and I really like that because I don't feel like I'm missing anything ~ if I skip a day or a few days, I just pick up where I left off, with the next 'chapter'. Chapters are very short, maybe 3-4 small pages with scripture at the end with a place to write some thoughts or notes. Lysa is very good, and what she shares is very real, very down to earth with good perspective. I hope to get several more of her books.
on March 23, 2016
I am in love with this book. Halfway through I bought a copy for a friend and have recommended to numerous people. This book has opened my eyes tremendously and brought me closer to God than ever before. I'm beyond blessed to have been given the opportunity to read and study it. I highly recommend!!
on April 19, 2013
2nd book I bought after returning to my Christian roots after 25 years. Loved this author's fun yet enlightening writing. She even made the role of the 'Christian wife' appealing. I've looked at reviews of her other books but they're not a good fit for me - they're aimed for moms and families.