Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: What Hawaii Likes to Eat
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on January 25, 2008
From Shoyu Hot Dogs to Lamb Wellington "Indianne" with Tropical Fruit Chutney, two local authors have hit the nail on the head with their new cookbook, What Hawaii Likes to Eat.
A collection of 130 recipes submitted by readers of a Honolulu daily newspaper, the range of dishes and tastes are as varied as the multi-cultural and chop suey residents of Hawaii.
If there is one thing that all people like to do is eat, and with so many influences in the Crossroads of the Pacific, it would be impossible for even the most finicky of eaters not to discover something in this book that would make their mouths water.
Cookbook writer and editor Muriel Miura teamed with the newspaper's food editor Betty Shimabukuro and asked the professional cooks and chefs along with the experts -- the eaters -- What do Hawaii folks like to eat?
After months of reading, testing and eating, the result is this spiral-bound cookbook -- with the required color photos needed for any amateur Pacific Rim food preparer to serve a mouth-watering dish.
What Hawaii likes to eat will provide comfort food for those who grew up on the plantation: Chicken Hekka, Musubi and Mango Seed; for those townies who were raised in Honolulu or Hilo: Loco Moco, Hamburger Steak and Chicken Katsu; for those who love luau food: Chicken Long Rice, Laulau, Lomi Salmon and Haupia; and for those who appreciate the ambiance as much as the meal: Cavalier Restaurant's Lobster Thermidor, Hiroshi Eurasian Tapas' Garlic Shichimi Ahi with Ponzu Vinagrette and Kahala Resort and Hotel's Roasted Garlic Rack of Lamb with Garlic and Herbs.
For poi dog palates, try Napua Steven's Taro Biscuits, Arare Cookies and Sam Choy's Hawaiian Pulehu Tri-Tip Steak.
The kamaaina baby boomers and their parents may remember Jolly Roger's Orange Bread, Queen's Surf Chicken Kamaaina and Little George's Shrimp Scampi. The Stewart's Pharmacy Corn Bread would bring a tear to the eye of anyone who frequented the once-popular Waikiki establishment.
But for all the fancy Lavosh, Orange Souffle, Golden Phoenix Claws and Scalloped Potatoes that are in this book, perhaps the most intriguing recipe is the first -- and possibly the simplest -- the "Oki Dog," an American, Mexican, Tex-Mex and Okinawan Fusion creation, which is a bright red, crispy Redondo hot dog, Zippy's chili, shoyu pork and iceberg lettuce all wrapped up in a tortilla.
The delicacy was actually first served on Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood by Sakai "Jimmy" Sueyoshi, an Okinawa native who got rich selling his "Oki Dogs," and brought to Hawaii by one of the organizers of the Okinawan Festival who replaced the shredded pastrami that Sueyoshi used with the shoyu pork.
Onolicious.
on January 19, 2008
Being born and raised in Hawaii and tasted the delicious local food growing up, I found this book to be one of the best cookbooks of local, Hawaii-style cooking. The recipes were easy to follow and the color photos brought back many fond memories. If you ever ate the 'ono' local food in Hawaii, be sure to add this cookbook to your library!
on March 9, 2010
I got this cookbook about a month ago and have cooked little else than what's within its pages. Though I've found the recipes require a touch of adjustment, they are so far all generally solid starting points and I've enjoyed every meal that's come from its pages, as well as the lively pictures and descriptions.

PROS: Fun, delicious, wide range of styles, book design makes for easy use in the kitchen.

NOT-QUITE-PROS: Like most cookbooks, requires a little "feel" from the cook to adjust on the fly as appropriate.

CONS: None.
on September 7, 2015
I'm from Hawaii so this book comes in handy at times when I can't remember how to make certain dishes from my hometown. If you've been to Hawaii, you would know that the food there is great and amazing ( in my opinion). This book is my refresher and it is very helpful to me. If you like hawaiian food then I would recommend this to you.
on February 9, 2016
I got this for the hamburger steak loco moco with gravy recipe which is a common menu item at most drive-ins in Hawaii. So I have had many of the variations of this recipe on the islands. I prepared the recipe following the recipe down to a tee. The recipe for the brown gravy was not very good. Somewhere along the line the proportions of each ingredient has been incorrectly stated. It not only did not look like the gravy that I am used to but it did not taste very good. It turned out watery, too. The flavor was sorely lacking and downright bland. Not even salt and a thickening agent could rescue this recipe disaster. Further, the color was a light beige milky color and not the brown gravy I am used to seeing. The hamburger steak recipe itself was just okay. It is obvious to me that the brown gravy recipe was not tested prior to publishing. The only thing that keeps this cookbook from falling to two stars is the fact that the chicken katsu recipe turned out fine. Not fantastic or anything like that but I was not expecting anything in that caliber. After all, this cookbook is supposed to appeal to those just looking for a simple fix on their local Hawaii dishes.
Overall, the presentation is well done and that is why I give this cookbook a three star rating. The pictures are appealing and the instructions are pretty straightforward. But I cannot help but feel bad that I wasted milk mushroom broth and other ingredients to make the brown gravy concoction that is in no way a staple at local drive-ins here. If that is what those unfamiliar with local Hawaii fare taste, then that would be a travesty to the food that it actually is supposed to be. I would recommend this book only to those who are able to rescue some of these recipes by adding to them as it is apparent to me that they were not kitchen tested prior to publishing.
on December 20, 2013
If you are kamaaina and away from our Hawai'i nei this cookbook will help bring you back! This is also a great gift for people who want to know what we really eat in Hawai'i. oh the grinds!!!!!!so ono!!
on February 9, 2014
includes great easy to do recipes that is truly the foods of Hawaii. I was pleased to see recipes from restaurants that are long gone and missed. But now I can create the delicious dishes that I long for.
on February 14, 2014
So many recipes for the food I grew up with, and then some! So far, every recipe that I've tried has been so ono.
P.S. For those that don't know, keiki means child and ono means delicious.
on January 12, 2014
Gave this to my husband for Christmas.
He is Hawaiian and immediately dove into this to check out the recipes. After a few minutes he declared, "Yes this is what we eat."
on October 6, 2011
Try all the recipes even the ones that don't look familiar my family loves the recipes. the red velvet cake was a wonderful addition to our family Christmas dinners.