Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 5, 2017
This book never promises that you'll be successful if you do what you love. I think the title was a gimmick to sell the book. Regardless, the book is excellent from the beginning to the end. The first half is excellent advice about maturing so you can even recognize what would be right for you. Then it says that you may need to do what you love as a hobby or a job that may not pay much. The last half of the book is what it is like to work and do things that are right for you. It was well written and great advice from a therapy and spiritual perspective. This is great preparation for the rest of your life, regardless of your age. I highly recommend it to everyone. If you're hoping it is a naive promise that if you do what you love, you'll somehow be fine financially, you'll be disappointed.
on October 17, 2000
So wrote Henry David Thoreau in the classic "Walden." After reading Marsha Sinetar's book, you will understand why.
Most people, for a variety of reasons, have been schooled away from listening to their "inner voice," which is there to guide us in the discovery of our inate talents and interests. This is the basis upon which we should be engaging in our "Right Livlihood," a Buddhist term to describe the work that we were destined to do, which is more than just earning a paycheck, but is fulfilling in a Maslow "self-actualization sense," and is in service to humankind.
Ms. Sinetar's masterpiece is written from the perspective of someone who has looked within themselves and has asked themselves the tough questions about the quality of life they are living. She posits that to ignore that inner longing is to basically live in denial, and untrue to yourself. This incongruity, she argues, is the root of a great deal of dissatisfaction that people have with their lives. Hence the admonition, "to thine own self be true," which is the antithesis of the quote from Thoreau.
This book was instrumental for me during a period of major depression that I was experiencing, that I credit it completely in helping me "find my way back," onto my unique path. Space prohibits me from sharing any details, but I will happily correspond anyone who feels that they are in the middle of a midlife, or carerr crisis.
But first, buy this book, heed its admonitions, and prepare for a major change in your life!
17 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2017
Nice little book
on January 18, 2011
I have been struggling with depression for the longest time, and this book helped me in understanding the background of said depression. This book isn't going to be for everyone, but it's a good start if you're clearly unhappy with being "lost" in life.

This book will help, but by no means should one consider this book or ANY book a "cure all". It will help lead you on to a path to a healthier, independent, and confident life.

As for the title being "misleading": The choice of title is addressed in this book by the author. It is true that the book has no focus whatsoever on directing you to financial happiness. The idea is that by becoming happy with your life choices and your work, the money will eventually follow.

I recommend this book to those that are unhappy with their work, social life, and hobbies. If you are depressed because there is no harmony, and you are looking for the courage to change yourself, then go ahead and read this book.

Why I took off One Star: There are a few spots in the second chapter that I didn't agree with about parents loving their children. However, it's only mentioned in one spot so I recommend just reading over it.
One person found this helpful
on February 13, 2002
This book is a bit idealistic, but has generally good advice on choosing an occupation. Basically, follow your heart, not the money. Do what you enjoy and makes you happy, not what will make you rich, but may force you to compromise your ethical, moral or religious values. Money is not the most important thing in life. It would be a good text to add to your library or to your list of occupational decision-making resources.
4 people found this helpful
on February 3, 2013
This is a great book. I read it through once, now am reading it slowly and putting it to use. Well written and encouraging. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is unsure if they are in the right job/career.
on December 17, 2013
I saw a reference to this book while reading one of Brian Tracy's book's on sales (The Power of Self-Confidence). At the time I was working a sales job I didn't like very much, but paid my bills. After deciding that what I was doing wasn't making me happy, I made a plan to go back to my old job where my life wasn't consumed by my work and when I was home I worked hard on pursuing my dream job.

I'm happy to report less than a year later that I make a living in my dream industry. The book is certainly not a magic pill, but it does open your eyes to the necessity of doing what you love and the possibility that it can pay your bills eventually.
One person found this helpful
on April 1, 2014
Speedy delivery and great quality!! I absolutely love this book as it is a great motivation for anyone following their dreams. I highly recommend this book to anyone stuck in the 9-5 routine and looking to find work that fulfills their life's purpose[.]
on November 24, 2010
Marsha Sinetar guides the reader in the art of tuning in to one's inner world and finding the work that expresses and fulfills personal talents. This is an excellent read.
on August 14, 2006
This book was written by a psychologist years ago. The information in it is geared more towards ones psychological well being versus serving as a how to guide.

As a psychotherapist, I value the information in it although, becoming psychologically and spiritually healthly takes quite some time. So, if you're looking for a more inspirational down to earth lets play with the dirt book(s) I recomend (and I could hardly put them down) - I don't know What I Want but I Know it is Not This by Jansen;Making a Living Without a Job by Winter, and a cute one that gives you inspiration and is a light read - How Much Joy can you Stand?
7 people found this helpful