BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 27, 2012
It makes it sound like a more helpful item than it is - and what it is, is a collection of stories celebrating 13 people who've achieved something substantial after the age of sixty. There's an eight page intro, then it's just the stories, quite long and detailed.

Instead, or as well as stories about others, I thought it would be aimed at helping readers sort out this interesting question for themselves, something like Barbara Sher's books (Wishcraft; I could do anything if I only knew what it was; It's only too late if you don't start now, etc) which are brilliant. Those books have loads of true story-snippets about people finding their true course in life, but also lots of clever ways to peel back the layers of time and conditioning to uncover your forgotten self.

Not that I didn't like the stories in this book: it's great to see older people breaking down the stereotype.

I actually bought this book for my brother, (I thought I'd have a little read myself first) who at 52 is really searching for the next thing to put his energies into now that he's left his successful but unfulfilling first career behind. What he needs is a way of discovering his vocation, the thing that would delight and fulfil him.

I bought this as an alternative to the Sher books thinking they wouldn't be his cup of tea, but i don't think I'll give this book to him after all. I think I'll give him Wishcraft.
on May 12, 2010
"What Should I Do with the Rest of My Life? True Stories of Finding Success, Passion and New Meaning in the Second Half of Life," is a charming, inspiring look at the lives of 13 individuals who decided in the latter half of their lives to embrace opportunities, as author Bruce Frankel says in his introduction, "that can scarcely be imagined or foretold."
Among the memorable characters in "What Should I Do with the Rest of My Life" is Thomas Dwyer, a former government employee who took up modern dance in his fifties, Alidra Solday, who decided at age 58 (and after recovering from breast cancer) to become a documentary filmmaker, and Loretta Thayer, who was so moved by the events of Sept. 11, 2001, that she decided to fulfill a long-time dream of re-opening a local diner and establishing it once again as a gathering place for folks in her hometown.
Frankel weaves perspective, history and details in and around each of his subjects, including the traumatic events -- illness, death, divorce and more - that shaped these 13 individuals and likely contributed to their pursuit of lifelong learning and growth.
This is the book that could get you off the couch and on the path to whatever dream has eluded you. Pull out your bucket list and get to work.
on January 23, 2013
I'm on the leading edge of the "baby boom" which is now going to create a "retirement boom" in the coming years as time marches on. There's going to be a lot of talent and energy in this coming wave. Is it all going to be expended on the golf course and at the bingo parlor? I hope not.

Thus it is interesting to read the short biographies in this book of thirteen men and women who later in life discovered a new calling, success or purpose. It was inspirational to see how these people's lives certainly didn't end with retirement. They provide a demonstration of how the skills of the "retired" can be repurposed to become positive contributors to the world in which we life.

The subtitle of this book is more descriptive of the book's contents than the main title that makes it sound like a "self-help" book. If this book functions as a self help book it will be because of what the reader brings to the stories. The book is made up of thirteen short stories of people who didn't conclude that the game was over when they neared retirement age. Instead they started the second half of their lives doing exceptional things. Perhaps not everybody can be blessed with the health and energy needed to achieve great things. Nevertheless, there's plenty of room for all of us to consider our options and seek options that are opened up by the new circumstances of retirement.

The value in reading these stories is in the general spirit shown by those who's stories are being told. The reader shouldn't expect to to find examples of activities to use as patterns for ones self. The stories tend to be unique to the circumstances and talents of these individuals. At least for me I found the stories interesting, but not recipes that I want to follow.

I found the writing of good quality and the manner in which the stories are revealed to the reader well done. But it wasn't the sort of book with which I can closely identify.
on December 19, 2010
Many people beginning the so called "third age," wonder the same thing as Bruce Frankel's title: "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life?"

In the true stories in this book the reader will find an answer, but it may not be the one anticipated. Instead, each story, unique in experience, celebrates ordinary people who became extraordinary through diligence and perseverance to a personal goal late in life, regardless of whether others supported, understood, or even approved of the goal. In describing their stories, the book celebrates the difference each of us can and does make in surprising ways. The book will make an indelible impression on the reader, and may change how the reader views success.
on May 17, 2010
Bruce Frankel's engaging, honest new book "What Should I do With the rest of My Life?" is so helpful and uplifting I've already given it to many older friends who've lost their jobs to inspire their second acts. As someone who is already on act four, five and six I can totally relate and appreciate all the hard-won wisdom shared by the author -his mother - and the other people he interviews. A must read for anybody laid off, down-sized or considering going back to school or switching careers.
on July 24, 2016
kind of boring.. wish it had more suggestions for how to do it .
on September 5, 2011
I thought I was buying a book about opportunities and ideas about how to navigate the retirement years. What I got was biographies. There is a slight difference here. I don't feel that the author stuck to his title.
on February 20, 2015
This was such a waste of time and I still don't know what to do with the rest of my life.
on March 9, 2010
What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life? By Bruce Frankel, is a book that chronicles the lives of people who are well past retirement age, and who are ready to begin what would be the "end" of their lives. It is a difficult idea to write that these people were actually at the end of anything, since they were obviously at the age where anyone would have retired, but they kept going. And found new ways to redefine themselves and who they are, and pick up where they left off looking for the answer to their life's dreams.

We all know that it is possible to pick ourselves up again after a personal loss, a bankruptcy or a tragedy. In these stories there are heart-warming moments and people who had the strength to pursue their lives at any age. There is the story of a teacher who started off as a substitute and went on to teach in schools where she was needed the most. At sixty-eight years old, she is making a difference in the lives of her students. Another story centers on an inventor who had success, then had setbacks because of a mismanagement error at a company she trusted. Eventually she prevailed, but not without some soul searching as to what she really wanted and what success would really be worth to her.

Each story tells of the men and women who overcame the odds, and their stories are an inspiration for us all. In these times of a downturned economy, anyone at any age can learn to reinvent who he or she is to find a new career or a new place in the job market. Success can be found anywhere and it is there for the taking.

This book was first reviewed on [..]
on August 12, 2014
I can well imagine that the idea for creating this book came about as a result of Mr. Frankel's friends, and their desire to work together to create a book, one that could be sold at a profit, because of the catchy title and sub-title.

Well, they title is catchy, and the cover a bit juvenile, but they succeeded in creating a story book, but one that has no value in helping someone learn, understand, believe, embrace or apply who they are, what they do or how they live, whether the reader is in the first half of their life or in the second.

Every person's story in this book, from first to last, is more autobiographical in nature, and does very little to discuss professional or personal transformation: it is akin to being a passenger on a sailboat with navigated and steered by sailor who has never left the shore. In deed, I'd return the book for a full refund if I could, but my copy found my half-spilled coffee: alas, I'm saddled with the most useless piece of "self-help" tripe on the face of the earth.

If you are looking for a great book, which truly will help you regardless of your standing or age group, turn to Martha Beck's book "Find Your Own North Star."

Stay way from Bruce Frankel, his story-telling friends and Avery publishing, that is unless of course, you like to waste your money as well as your life.