Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on November 19, 2013
Beware! Listen to the reviews on here that let you know this book overemphasizes God's role in Thanksgiving. If that's how you see Thanksgiving, then this is the book for you. If you are of the mind that Thanksgiving is a truly American holiday, where we can give thanks to whomever we thank (which is not always "God" for some families), steer clear. I was not comfortable reading this book to my son; we do not emphasize religion or God in our household, which is our choice, and I tried to modify the book to reflect our views, but the whole moral of the book is that "Thanksgiving is a special day to praise the Lord above. We take this time to say: 'God, thank you for your love!'" That's not what I think Thanksgiving is, and it's not what I am trying to teach my son.

This taught me to read reviews and, when available, to review the book online before purchasing. This is going in the 'donate' bin.
3 people found this helpful
on December 6, 2013
This book is terrible and does not explain AT ALL what Thanksgiving is about. It essentially says that it is not about football and relatives but is instead a day we all give thanks to God. I was really looking for something to provide at least a high level intro to the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving meal. I do not object to a religious aspect at all, but this does not paint an even remotely accurate depiction of the holiday or it's origins.The cover should not be children dressed as pilgrims since they are not included in this books subject matter. I chucked it since it's not worth returning.
5 people found this helpful
on January 3, 2014
We and our 15 month old son absolutely loved this book. He enjoyed that it is a board book and that it rhymes when we read aloud to him. We enjoyed the story telling and the Christian theme about giving thanks to God for all that he provides while still having plenty of non-religous Thanksgiving traditions as well. We think this will be a favorite for years to come as our son learns to read and comprehend on his own.
on December 6, 2013
I should have looked through this before buying it. I had no idea it was focused solely on giving thanks to Jesus. Not terrible, if that's your thing. But my 1 year old would NOT sit for reading it. Dont be fooled by its board book appeal...its not a "baby" engaging book.
2 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2013
I purchaced this as a book to explain thanksgiving to my toddler. I should have read the other reviews and would have relized that this book centers on the idea of giving thanks to God. while this may work for some families this is not what I was looking for.
4 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2013
Cute little Thanksgiving book, good for my little grandchildren, 4 y.o., but didn't interest the 7 y.o. after one reading. And, these little girls always want stories read several time. But, for little kids, it's great.
on December 12, 2015
great for reading to students
on March 19, 2014
We have the What Is Easter book also and I love how simply she explains the deeper meaning behind the marketed holiday.
on December 6, 2016
Real easy to read to a toddler. Good illustrations. Book that they can play and look at by themselves.
on March 25, 2014
Love this book, bought for my 3 yr old and for my godson and it's wonderful, light reading but good message.