Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
What Your Third Grader Needs to Know (Revised Edition): Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series) Paperback – May 28, 2002
Featured education & teaching resources
Explore these featured titles, sponsored by Springer. Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Praise for the Core Knowledge Series:
“A new vision for the education of America is being tested in Florida; and it works.”
“The Core Knowledge curriculum gave all students in our school, regardless of their background, an equal opportunity to excel; and they did! The excitement of learning could be felt in every classroom.”
--Constance Jones, Principal, Three Oaks Elementary School, Fort Myers, Florida
“E. D. Hirsch’s Core Knowledge has changed the lives of our children and teachers forever. After searching for more than twenty years, I have found a new and imaginative educational program with an incredible impact. Core Knowledge is not only exciting, but relevant to our children’s needs.”
--Jeff Litt, Principal, The Mohegan School, Bronx, New York --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From the Inside Flap
Give your child a smart start with the revised and updated What Your Third Grader Needs to Know
What should your child learn in the third grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American third graders. Featuring 16 pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Third Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children.
Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This revised edition gives a new generation of third graders the advantage they need to make progress in school today, and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime.
• Favorite Poems, old and new, from the traditional Mother Goose rhyme "For Want of Nail" to Lewis Carroll's whimsical poem "The Crocodile"
• Literature from around the world, including Native American stories, African folktales, European fairy tales, classic myths from ancient Greece, stories from ancient Rome, and more
• Learning About Language--the basics of written English, including sentence structure, parts of speech, and a first look at writing a report or letter
• World and American History and Geography--journey down the great rivers of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, visit ancient Rome, and experience the earliest days of America with the Pilgrims and Native Americans
• Visual Arts--an introduction to masterworks by Rembrandt, Henri Matisse, Mary Cassatt, and others, with full-color reproductions and fun, do-it-yourself activities
• Music--the basics of appreciating, reading, and making music, plus great composers, instruments, and sing-along lyrics for songs such as "A Bicycle Built for Two" and "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands"
• Math--stimulating lessons ranging from counting money to solving division problems, numbers through 100,000, graphs, and the metric system
• Science--fascinating discussions on the natural world, the cycles of life, the human body and its systems, pollution, and the environment---with accompanying activities and stories about famous scientists such as Copernicus and Alexander Graham Bell.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I have these on my own shelf, have gifted them to my children for my grandkids, often give them to young parents, and blessed school teachers with copies of them, too.
I found this to be a "right to the point" book for anyone like me, who is curious about what direction education is going in now.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Still has highly useful content and guidance.Read more