Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 91 reviews
on September 1, 2016
I've been using several subjects from this book in our homeschool the last several months. Public school was quite detrimental to my kids and they fell pretty far behind, so I'm using this to help fill in the gaps! I build lessons around the content thats in the book and the kids have so far really enjoyed it. My youngest is autistic and until now nothing else was working for him. Once we're finished with this book, we'll be moving on to the next!
on July 10, 2016
All of these books are indispensable for parents trying to fill in gaps left by public school education, homeschoolers, or grandparents/others who love grade school kids. Each level (Preschool - Sixth Grade) covers what the student should know at that grade and includes much of the material and wonderful lists in the back for other books, recordings, movies, toys, etc. Lots of ideas of material to sneak into time spent with kids.

I have these on my own shelf, have gifted them to my children for my grandkids, often give them to young parents, and blessed school teachers with copies of them, too.
on March 24, 2013
The Language Arts section has the perfect balance of silliness and sentimentality. My third grader rewrites the poems and they have engaged her enough to where she is now independently writing her own poems and silly songs. Because of this new found love for poetry, her penmanship as well as her spelling have improved tenfold. She is also enjoying putting the different forms of art to use. The geography and history sections give a brief over view but when we include out globes, maps and make our own maps, she has a complete understanding of not only the vocabulary but knowing and understanding what happened, where it happened and how to find it. She has always been addicted to science and math. She has always had a natural understanding (knack) for those. We love this series of books!
on April 9, 2015
I bought this to use as a review for my third grader and found it has so much more then she has covered in school this year. We will use it this summer and keep as a reference for next year. The book is laid out so you can look up a particle subject or read a full chapter. Very happy with this book.
on October 24, 2016
This book is used as a foundation for teaching our daughter at her College Prep School. It has helped place her ahead in all areas. But the time she graduates from homeschool with this kind of teaching she will already have an AA Degree from College and ready to begin a BA Degree. Way too go E.D. Hirsch Jr.
on September 4, 2013
Everyone is talking about the "Common Core" in the schools now. I retired just as the talk of Common Core started; so I was interested in knowing what it is all about. This book is an easy explanation of the Common Core, dividing each of the subject themes. Each subject is addressed separately explaining the main goals for that subject; followed by samples of the type of material which would be considered Common Core material.
I found this to be a "right to the point" book for anyone like me, who is curious about what direction education is going in now.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2010
I bought the 3rd grade edition, was so impressed I bought the 4th grade edition. These books are awsome. Assist parents in knowing what to expect at these grade levels and what our children should be learning or at least exposed to before secondary schooling. The books contain more information than my child actually completed in each grade reviewing poetry, history, math, grammer, reading comprehension, classic epic stories, old sayings and phrases and their meanings. Great addition to my daughter's educational reference library. Great parent refresher..What Your Third Grader Needs to Know (Revised Edition): Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
on June 10, 2013
We homeschool in sort of an "unschool" manner, so we are always looking for information on what others of our child's age are supposedly learning. This gives a good basic outline as well as some more indepth information on topics for each grade level. We'll be going over it this summer to see if we think she's missing out on anything. It's still rather a subjective thing, I believe, to say what each particular grade "needs" to know. But it's a good resource.
on August 17, 2017
Anybody noticed the 2002 version book is using the picture of 2015 version? It's cheating.
on October 26, 2014
I am using this book, not as a curriculum but more as a guideline, to make sure I cover everything this year for my 3rd graders. It is a great book for homeschoolers!