Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on July 21, 2009
Dr. Pavuluri's book is the #1 resource I will go to when I have questions about anything related to bipolar disorder in kids. My daughter, now 13, was diagnosed with bipolar 2years ago. Anyone dealing with this knows the confusion, frustration, heart break, exhaustion, etc. that goes hand in hand with this disorder.
Thankfully, Dr. Pavuluri has gifted us with an easy to read, encouraging, hopeful, and realistic guide to help parents navigate thru the difficult times as well as take joy in the special and unique children that we have been blessed with. Dr. Pavuluri's years of experience as director of the bipolar clinic at UIC in Chicago is evident in the wealth of information and expertise that she presents in this book. For me, personally, her chapter on medications , their descriptions, usage,dosage, etc. has been an enormous help. I feel confident knowing that she has years of experience using these medications with kids, and she clearly explains the pros and cons of each medication used in treating bipolar in kids.
You can not go wrong in purchasing this book . Keep it on your shelf and refer to it often.
Thank you Dr. Pavuluri for your book and all the help that you offer to parents of children diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Kathleen Kuper
Mokena, Illinois
on April 5, 2015
This book is a blessing!!! With a recent BiPolar diagnosis of my nine year old daughter - and feeling as though life was spinning out of control - our family came across this book, and have subsequently sought out Dr. mani Pavuluri to be our daughter's primary mental health care provider. Mani's compassion, understanding, and insights into the world of BiPolar is gentle, honest, and hope-filled! This book is a must-read for anyone wanting to know more about what children with BiPolar and their families live with!
on January 12, 2009
Applying adult criteria to diagnose children with the Bipolar Disorder is an injustice to the children and their parents. This book provides an excellent resource for parents and counselors to develop a foundation to learn about childhood bipolar disorder. The book provides interventions that may be used with children. It also addresses parental-child relationship and dynamics. This book is a foundational book to begin to learn about the childhood bipolar disorder and opens the door of hope for the child's future.
on July 22, 2011
I'm a psychologist so I'm always looking for books to pass on to my clients. The book is written in such a manner that it is easy for parents to follow along. The writer is also a parent of a bipolar child so she relates some of her frustrations with the mental health system. She attempts to help parents sort out other possible causes of the child's behavior and co-existing problems. I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far one parent was willing to admit their child needed help after reading her description of Bipolar Disorder.
on June 19, 2008
What Works for Bipolar Kids: Help and Hope for Parents

This book is a welcome addition to resources for parents struggling to help their child deal with a bipolar diagnosis. Dr. Pavuluri writes as though she is seeing into your family's heart and I know the knowledge shared in this book will ultimately help our family to heal. We will always have to grow and learn new ways to cope with this difficult diagnosis our daughter has received, but this book will be an essential tool along the way. Thank you to Dr. Pavuluri and her team for their years of research that ultimately led to her writing this book and for offering real solutions to the everyday challenges we, as parents of bipolar kids, face on a daily basis.

If you are new to this diagnosis, you MUST get this book. If you've been struggling with this diagnosis for awhile now - open the pages and help is on the way!!!! Thank you Dr. Pavuluri from the bottom of my broken heart!
on December 6, 2016
Limited audience. Probably good book for parents to read.
on June 19, 2013
Have a granddaughter with bipolar.
Was very helpful to understand what is good to do for her. Recommended by her therapist.
on December 15, 2009
I bought this book to help me handle my child who was actually not diagnosed with bipolar, but rather with asperger disorder + mood disorder not defined (one day his diagnose might be changed to bipolar).
I bought this book with the idea that the same or identical stuff that works for the everyday struggle (not medical) with bipolar kids should work for any severe mood disorder, and indeed I found it to be an excellent guide.
on August 25, 2009
This book is an excellent resource for parents of bipolar kids. If it had only been available when I was raising my granddaughter, both of us would have been spared a lot of grief. It is a must read for parents whose children are being labeled as ADD/ADHD by the schools and encouraged (if not required) to drug the kids with Ritalin. Luckily, I stood my ground about the Ritalin, but every school she attended subtly accused me of being a poor parent for not caving in to their recommendations. They ignored at least two evaluations showing no sign of ADD/ADHD.

My only objection to the Kindle edition is that the checklists in the appendices apparently cannot be enlarged. They would be very helpful -- if I could see them clearly.
on February 8, 2010
This book answered all my questions! Answered questions I wouldn't have thought to ask! Gave ideas and tips of things to ask doctors about! Very helpful. I didn't feel the need to look any further!