Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2011, 7:22:04 AM PDT
What are the author's qualifications? She failed miserably at trying to grow veggies in the WH garden. Then the wife of our Dear Leader purchased veggies from the nearby farmer's market trying to pass them for her own (are these the same she is holding in the basket on the cover pic?) That's inspirational, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012, 6:42:30 AM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Does anyone really believe MO works in the WH garden other than for her photo ops? She can't be bothered to stay in the WH for more than a couple of weeks before she uses the taxpayers money to fund another vacation. Its just now April and she's already had to take three vacations this year. The idea of a WH garden is fine but the though that she works in it is laughable at best and at worst just another attempt to deceive the American publie regarding the Obamas be just plain folk like you and me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 10:27:08 PM PDT
Cornhusker says:
Her qualifications are that she wants to reinvent herself and now she is a lifelong gardener despite the fact she has never gardened in her life. But she has the US Forestry Service there to take care of the garden and to plant fully grown vegetables for photo ops.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012, 10:29:53 PM PDT
Cornhusker says:
But she always takes working vacations and always flies coach.

Posted on May 29, 2012, 9:10:49 AM PDT
S. meyer says:
Michelle doesn't need to grow grapes in her garden; enough of those who talk about her are the bitter fruit.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012, 9:59:47 AM PDT
I doubt that they are working vacations, it seems that she likes to live the fine life; eating lobsters and drinking wine while shopping for expensive clothes. Surely no one is that blind (you are kidding aren't you Von Ray?).

Posted on May 29, 2012, 10:27:47 AM PDT
HELEN F FINN says:
I havent read this book yet but was interested to see whether it would serve as a good birthday gift for my son-in-law who is an avid tho he would say amateur gardener. I think one of the helpful "looks" at the book's contents which are often provided would help every honest reader to decide about the content. NO THANKS TO ALL OF THE SOUR GRAPES TYPES WHO WERE JUST LOOKING FOR A PULPIT FOR THEIR BITTER "POLITICAL" BARBS!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012, 12:21:34 PM PDT
Cornhusker says:
Michelle Obama has always gardened. Always! She was born on a Sunday and on Monday she was out planting corn. She is perfect. Just ask her! And no, she didn't just start gardening to change her image from a self-absorbed, spoiled, entitled money grabber. And no, she doesn't have the US Forestry there to take care of it and to plant fully grown plants for photo ops. She is genuine, y'all! She cares. She cares for America, just as long as she has all the perks. Is it really so wrong for the First Lady to have more vacations in a year than most people have in a lifetime? Course not! She real, y'all!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012, 5:38:15 PM PDT
Tony says:
SOUR GRAPES.
This is obviously politically motivated and has nothing to say about MO's book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012, 5:53:44 PM PDT
Cornhusker says:
Exactamundo, Anthony. They are jealous haters! They hate Michelle for her successful career as a mother/lawyer/wife/model/writer/actor/activist/gardener/aerobics instructor/patient dumper. She is real, y'all! You go, girl! I will buy your books because you write them. And you earned your vacations, girl!

Posted on May 30, 2012, 2:04:33 AM PDT
ReadRight says:
Readers and gardeners don't really care why she wrote this material, if it is helpful and an interesting read. What concerns 'most' people is that so many refuse to acknowledge that Mrs. Obama - The First Lady is an advocate for many things. None of which are hatred, slander, racism, disrespect, or being mean-spirited just for the sake of being. Read the book (or look at the photos -as some only do!), then voice an opinion!

Peace

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012, 6:45:17 AM PDT
Cornhusker says:
Exactly. Michelle Obama has worked hard all her life for the poor and the injured, especially at the Univ of Chicago Hospital. Many people don't realize this but she cared so much for the poor and injured and uninsured that she instituted a new policy there. See, when the poor and uninsured came to the ER she made sure they were turned away to go to a clinic miles away. Is that not the most humane thing ever? And, in the process, she tripled her own salary to over a quarter of a million dollars. What a wonderful person!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 7:37:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2012, 7:47:47 AM PDT
I have not purchased nor read American Grown. However, I am excited about First Lady Obama's American Grown and look forward to purchasing and reading it. I applaud our First Lady's selflessness. She cares about American families. I applaud her endless efforts on our behalf. What a marvelous and outstanding First Lady! Millions of dollars are spent yearly and Americans hospitalized because of poor health and poor nutritional choices. Congratulations First Lady Obama, well done!

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 8:08:17 AM PDT
Cornhusker says:
I applaud her, too. This is a hugely controversial issue. Most parents want their kids to be fat. Michelle doesn't! She has sought out the food deserts in this country personally and brought them loads of food. And now she has taught us all that putting seeds in soil and watering them and giving them sunshine actually makes them grow! Sheer genius! She always takes on these tough issues that no one else dares even touch.
Next she is taking on the issue of kittens purring too loudly when they sleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012, 1:51:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012, 1:55:23 PM PDT
bothellbuyer says:
I'm an avid gardener and am enjoying the book quite a bit. If you have an interest in community gardening, promotion of healthful foods and the joy of growing them yourself, there is quite a lot of inspirational material in the book. The photography is beautiful and the book is filled with little anecdotes about local community gardening programs across the nation. I especially enjoyed the little bit about what happened to a fig tree in the D.C. garden, and the section on bee-keeping, although I'm more interested in attracting mason bees myself. I've just started working through the book so am a ways from being able to write a useful review yet, but I've shared the book with several gardener co-workers who all have indicated interest in buying a copy for themselves and for gifts. Granted, these are all folks who support the premise of community and organic gardening and have no particular political agenda to promote. And we all had no illusions that this book would be a tome on gardening in OUR area, which has quite different growing conditions compared to Washington, D.C. If your son-in-law enjoys the I-built-a-garden books so common in the genre, this would be a inspirational addition.

NOTE: This seems to be an example of the kind of book that fails in kindle format. I didn't hesitate to add a hardcover copy to my collection even though I'm moving a bit into the e-book format these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012, 8:31:01 AM PDT
This is a site for a review of the book. Not a platform for bashing and spewing untruth. Whether one agrees with the Obamas politics or not, it is a beautifully written book and her efforts around childhood obesity are genuine and appreciated. She has a Harvard Degree, was one of the highest ranking people at the University of Chicago and grew up working in her family's garden. I believe that she did write the book and has worked in the garden. I am also sure that there are gardeners who do most of the work. She is after all the First Lady with many responsibilities. My grandma used to say, folks who yell liar are generally the biggest fakes themselves. Good grief!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012, 4:02:12 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Actually this is the comment section where people can....well, comment....whether or not they read the book. There is a section where people post reviews and then there is a section where people are invited to comment on the review. Whether I am lying or not, I offer this which you can believe or not....Until we downsized to a small place in town, my husband and I lived on 5 acres in the country where we had a 50ft. x 100 ft. garden. We also had a peach and an apple orchard that we planted and tended ourselves. Additionally we planted and tended well over 100 trees. So I know what it takes to tend a garden and it can't be done while vacationing in Spain, or Aspen, or Martha's Vineyard or Hawaii. And having a Harvard degree doesn't mean she's a gardener.

Finally, I didn't see any comment regarding disagreement or agreement with the Obama politics until Ms. O'Gilvie brought it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012, 12:24:47 PM PDT
booklover says:
You are a hateful bigot and a vile misogynist. I read some previous comments of yours and they confirm that you are threatened by the Obama's success. Why? Probably because you are a text book case of narcissistic personality disorder with a very insecure underbelly which, when poked, elicits cries of a wounded ego. You know, all this venom you spew, your intractable hatred of successful people, people who live with integrity and a deeply compassionate nature, will ultimately come back and bite you in your nether regions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012, 1:14:44 PM PDT
Cornhusker says:
Well, duh, everyone who isn't praising the Obamas is a racist and a bigot. That goes without saying any more. Come on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012, 2:37:17 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Wow my little post about my garden really got elleneve upset. And her degree in psychology has really enabled her to determine what an evil person I am. Not sure what other comments I made have proven that I'm a narcissist but I have to say that Obama certainly fits that description. I have zero hatred of successful people but he certainly does as shown by his speeches vilifying them and condeming them as people who must be punished. However, elleneve is correct that I am threatened by Obama's success and in answer to her question "why?" I'll answer. It's because I sincerely believes that Obama hates the United States so much that he wishes to see it destroyed. That is why I feel threatened if he is successful because I love this country so much that I hate anyone trying to causes its destruction.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012, 5:56:32 AM PDT
David Arkles says:
When you said self-absorbed, spoiled, entitled money grabber I thought you were talking about Mrs. Romney.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012, 8:47:16 AM PDT
Cornhusker says:
Ann Romney is a wonderful mother and wife. Michelle Obama (or Michelle the Maleficent) is a money grubbing, selfish, spoiled brat. Is that too harsh? I actually held back on what I really think of her. She disgusts me even more than her husband.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012, 3:26:10 PM PDT
When a member of the liberal media takes a picture of MO pulling a weed in that garden when she thinks no one is looking or watering with a hose after a hot, dry few days, then I will believe that she wrote the book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about