Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2007, 4:16:06 PM PST
Curious says:
Does Library Binding mean the book is hard back or paper back?

Posted on Jul 12, 2009, 7:59:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2009, 8:00:43 PM PDT
Dead Kev says:
Per Wikipedia:

Library binding is a way to increase the life of books and periodicals used in libraries. This is done by sewing the pages in place and by reinforcing the spine for each volume. The goal of library binding is long-term preservation. However, library bound books also benefit library patrons because they ensure that the volume in hand is complete, as well as to make the volumes easier to open and photocopy.

In addition, many libraries re-bind damaged books in library bindings regardless of whether they were originally paperback or hardcover.

And per a book bindery source:

"Library Binding is hard cover with a Buckram cover (Library grade vinyl), more or less an Industrial grade binding made for several uses. Not fine leather or cloth, which is more delicate."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011, 1:22:40 PM PST
wanderer says:
would it generally still include a dust cover, if the original comes with a dust-cover? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013, 11:47:01 PM PDT
Anonymously says:
That is a great question, and it is a shame that you did not have not received an answer because now I am curious. :P :/

Posted on Nov 2, 2013, 6:53:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2013, 6:54:30 AM PDT
ebgupta says:
I just ordered Hiawatha and it had no dust cover - was library bound - it was disappointing but it feels plastic and looks cheap compared to the old version. It only said hardcover when I purchased it so I don't know where to look to see if it is a library bound harcover.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013, 6:55:29 AM PDT
ebgupta says:
It would be great is someone could tell me where to see the binding choice after clicking hardcover .

Posted on Nov 24, 2014, 1:04:27 PM PST
William says:
I want to actually purchase a hardcover, but instead of a hardcover option, I am forced to pick paper back or library binding. So I do not think it is an option to pick library binding after picking hardcover.

Posted on Apr 17, 2016, 5:04:04 AM PDT
Sung Je Park says:
Library Binding: hardcover, but with extra bindings to keep the book last

Hardcover: has an hard cover

Paperback: the book is all made of paper, including the back.

PS: you can't purchase a hardcover when there is no option for the hardcover (ex. when there is only school/lib. binding and paperback)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2016, 6:27:43 PM PDT
Amsedelv says:
Thanks. This helps me make a decision

Posted on Jul 12, 2016, 6:58:12 PM PDT
Jodi R. says:
How do I know if the library binding edition is larger than the paperback version? We are looking for larger print size than the paperback.

Posted on Aug 1, 2016, 1:43:00 PM PDT
mbj says:
be careful though. "turtleback" school and library binding means they put a hardback cover on a paperback book. "pre-bound" means the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2017, 10:41:32 AM PST
S. King says:
No, library bound books do not generally come with a dust cover.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Giant Golden Book)
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Giant Golden Book) by Richard Scarry (Hardcover - September 1, 1999)
4.7 out of 5 stars (632)