Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim forum

What don't you like in Skyrim?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2011, 1:12:20 AM PST
Fanboy says:
Loading and I think invisibility, not like Oblivion.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011, 1:31:31 AM PST
SmokeyNYY says:
Loading times is about the only thing that pisses me off.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011, 2:20:53 AM PST
Marblehead says:
What bugs me the most is when you're fighting a dragon and a guard will get too close to the shout. When the shout hits a guard they'll run after you and attack you while you're fighting the dragon. Umm, priorities please??

Posted on Nov 24, 2011, 7:31:13 AM PST
D. Lesure says:
shouts dont cause allies or neutral characters to attack back so ur doing something else, possibly a spell.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011, 1:10:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011, 1:11:21 AM PST
Nathan B says:
1) NPC controls suck. I can't tell my confederate to only used ranged, and they die too easily later in the game even with enhanced armor. Also, they can't follow you through many of the day-to-day obstacles that you might pass over without thinking.

2) The quick item feature isn't very helpful: you can't set a sword/shield combo as one quick key, and a bow as the other -- though it will sometimes guess that is what you intend, you cannot officially set it. I play as a wizard, and would like to be able to set one combination of spells with the left arrow, another set with the other arrow -- defining each hand for each set.

3) The storylines don't always connect to the real world. Massive changes occur, or an assasination attempt on your life is made, but everyone seems oblivious. Even the person who sent someone to kill you seems entirely ignorant of that fact.

4) I can't cancel quests in the miscellaneous category.

5) etc., etc., but I don't want to give the impression that I don't like this game.

This may be my favorite game ever, despite the kinks in it.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011, 8:54:43 AM PST
Will says:
I second the quick select of weapons and the cancellation or turning down of quests.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011, 11:01:00 AM PST
PS2 Bruce says:
I've made my small complaints in other posts, but since someone was nice enough to start a topic, I will list them again here:
1. The biggest one. You can't have equipment in both hands and cast anymore! Yes I know the RB is needed for shouts now. But it sucks to say, be fighting some bandit 5 levels above me, who has a two handed weapon, have to go to favorites, change to elemental spell, hope to get it off in time (most spells don't just fire now, you have to "cook" them for a second first...takes two movements of the hand), go back to favorites, bring the shield back up, etc. Ugh.
2. I'm in the minority on this one, but I don't like the new face of lockpicking. I liked the old ones where you bounces the tumblers. The new one is confusing and I break a LOT more picks.
3. My favorite spells (feather/ghost walk/open x lock) seem to be gone. :(
4. Invisibility does not work like it used to, and I can't find any reference to being able to do it for more than 30 seconds. (See missing spell, "Ghost Walk," above). One of the huge perks of getting to "expert" in Illusion (or even better, Master), in Oblivion, was being able to use invisibility spells that lasted 60 and 120 seconds, respectively. This was why on every playthrough, even though I was usually a "warrior" character, I did the Mage's Guild quests first, and spent quite a bit of time building Illusion and Alteration skills. Invisibility, and open lock, made Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood missions SO much easier. And with Ghost Walk it was a cakewalk to close those damn Oblivion gates or get through the tough dungeons: if there were too many enemies, or you just didn't feel like taking the time to fight, you could cast Ghost Walk, politely walk right by them, get the item, grab the sigil stone, etc.
5. I don't like how "enchanting" is now. I hate that I have to go in some giant dungeon, get killed 30 times, finally make it out with some nifty weapon or armor piece, and if I want to be able to use that effect later, have to DESTROY IT to "learn" the enchantment. I much preferred the Oblivion way: if you could cast the spell, you "knew" the effect. All that was needed, was a base item, the biggest soul gem you had (for the best effect), and enough gold.
6. The favorites. Not the idea in itself, but, how it can grow into a monster. I liked the old "D" pad way better: You could hotkey a couple of favorite spells and weapons. This way, you have to open the list, search through it (mine got HUGE before I went retro, and just put like 10 things on it), equip the thing, then, when you want something else, repeats. Since the game pauses anyway, (thus you won't take that fatal strike until after you leave the menus, lol), it can actually be quicker to just hit "B" go to "weapons" or "potions" or whatever and pick from there.
7. I know this is getting long but I have to mention one more thing. THE CHILDREN. WHY are they in this game? They serve no purpose except to annoy you. They run around saying snide things. Now I would never kill a child, but, I would love to be able to, make sure both my hands don't have a weapon or spell in them, my shout is deselected, and then, be able to whoop the tar out them with hand to hand for a second or to. When the guard comes, I will put my hands away, say the "you caught me" bit, and pay the fine. It would be worth about 1,000 septims for sure.

That's about it. I know that this game is a big update (and in many ways improvement, if that's possible), of Oblivion, but, I do miss my old favorites. And I can't stand the children.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011, 4:07:41 PM PST
M. DiSpirito says:
@Lesure: I'm pretty sure they do, sir. Try doing the Unrelenting Force shout on a guard and see what happens--or set them on Fire. :)

Posted on Nov 28, 2011, 6:40:32 PM PST
I wish the chest in my house was organized.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011, 6:52:05 PM PST
Mathias says:
I wish I were actually recognized as the leader of the organizations I gain leadership of. (**Possible Spoilers**). For example, days (of playing) after being named leader of the thieves guild one thief remarked, "So your Brynjolf's new protege, eh?.." And upon entering a certain room I heard, "Hey, you're not allowed in here." Lol. I just think it would be cool to be able to exercise my authority. Also, I'm the flipping dragonborn. Lol (Granted, not everyone knows/believes this) I also agree with @Nathan B on number 3. It would be nice if the world were a little more interconnected. But other than that, definitely the most I've enjoyed a video game in a long, long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011, 7:13:26 PM PST
M. DiSpirito says:
I hear that, Matthew W. I'm walking around in dragonscale and nobody seems to give me props for slaying 20+ dragons... seriously, people? Don't you see the daedric weapons, dragonscale armor, and overall bada$$edness before you? :) That's the exact reason why ever Elder Scrolls gamer, at some point in their game, goes on a genocidal rampage.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 12:29:03 AM PST
Nathan B says:
I hear that too -- if you can't even get some respect in a video game what's the world coming to lol? I just became the archmage of Winterhold, but I walked to the tavern and the guy goes "I don't have time to talk to some traveler..." Seriously? And the Jarl wants to know what I'm doing in Winterhold...? Did he not see me take down that Elder Dragon? Deal with the Psijics? Save the town from wispy little magical anomolies? I feel like he should at least rant me out for being the Archmage and almost letting the town get destroyed... something.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 12:35:29 AM PST
Nathan B says:
Hopefully not too many spoilers there in retrospect... the dragon isn't part of the quest, he just attacked Winterhold.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 11:09:49 AM PST
Davidovich53 says:
What do I not like? That's easy.

I hate the new leveling system. In Oblivion, when you went up a level, ALL of your attributes (i.e. Health, Magicka, Stamina) increased at the same time. Now, you're forced to choose; you can increase only ONE at a time.

I'm also not a fan of the perk system. Compare the perks in Skyrim with the ability bonuses in Oblivion. Let's take blacksmithing for example: In Oblivion you automatically got the ability to improve magical weapons/armor when your smithing skill got high enough. Now, you have to manually spend a perk point to unlock that ability. And since the game caps you at level 50, you'll have only so many perk points to spend. It's impossible to become a "master of all skills" like in Oblivion. In this game you have to very carefully choose which 3 or 4 skills you want to specialize in.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 11:25:17 AM PST
Davidovich53 says:
PS2 Bruce, I second you on the lockpicking mini-game and the children. I hated the "rotating" lockpicking system in Fallout 3, and when I learned it was back for Skyrim, my head dropped.

OH GAWD the children annoy the **** out of me! Who thought this was a good idea???

Also, the game has been bitten HARD by the freezing bug -- it freezes with alarming regularity. Good thing I've gotten in the habit of saving often.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 11:43:13 AM PST
Whitey Fords says:
I found an elixir of invisibility which is 60 seconds, but it doesn't seem like a spell exists that provides the same. I don't really find enchanting to be a problem because most of the enchantments can be found on a cheap item in the shops. Other than the ones that seem a little more rare, like absorb health, you can usually avoid destroying a preferred item.

The favorites/D-pad system needs major improvement obviously. I find myself constantly having to remove spells/shouts from my favorites menu to add new ones because it becomes so hard to navigate, and the left/right hotkey setup is little help.

@Davidovich53

The level 50 cap is a soft cap, you continue to gain levels, just at a much slower rate. The hard cap is 81, which would be all skills maxed out.

And I know the kids are annoying, but you can't create a believable world where children don't exist.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 1:35:00 PM PST
Gregg S. says:
"And I know the kids are annoying, but you can't create a believable world where children don't exist."

^this

I find most kids in THIS world annoying, so I say kudos to Bethesda for creating something with realism. lmfao.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 2:43:35 PM PST
Nathan B says:
I like the kids, but I don't know if realism is possible given the Orks, dragons, and magic... isn't that kind of the point?

Still, people being born out of thin air instead of being born as infants does seem even more fantastical than all the other things... not to mention really dreary on so many levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011, 2:44:21 PM PST
Davidovich53 says:
Thank you for the info Whitey.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 3:51:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011, 3:57:06 PM PST
After reaching around level 36 I have come to the conclusion that this game is pretty boring.

(1) I thought the guilds would have great questlines and not send me on an infinite repeatable job. Oblivion wins this one for sure.

(2) Do you notice most of your quests involve going into some undead catacombs? Even when the monsters do change (trust me, there is only a few options), the area is still the same old boring textures.

(3) I liked the skill system in Oblivion much better. It allowed you to customize your character a great deal. Skyrim offers very little in that department.

(4) The outside environment is interesting in Skyrim, but again it gets repetitive.

(5) Most random jobs you inquire will either have you going through a tomb or killing some random bandits. This continues to feel like a MMORPG.

(6) The game actually gets less challenging the higher level you achieve. I thought Oblivion aggressively raised the difficulty as you got to higher levels, but this was good in my opinion. Skyrim just becomes way too easy. My character is just a Blacksmith and Enchanter; rest of the perks are split off between 1-hand and heavy armor. Dragons are absolutely no challenge anymore.

(7) This leads me to the dragons. They're just as bad as oblivion gates. I'm tired of collecting the bones and scales from them. I don't use any of the shouts, and never had a need to do so.

(8) Why purchase a house? Since I began playing I've been using the inn chest to store my items for free.

(9) Speech is a useless skill. And the main reason for this is that gold is so easy to obtain it's not even funny. I've collected all worthy items and stored them in a chest since I began playing. And I was still able to pay all of my blacksmithing from 0 to 100 with just the gold I have obtained in the game, without selling a single item.

(10) Dialogue. Why don't we get any actual good options for it? Shouldn't the skill speech have something to do with it? Like give more options? Nope.

(11) Kingsman. Why be it? So you can just tell the guard to let you go from a random crime? Not worth it at all.

(12) Lockpicking. Terrible. Oblivion's lockpicking was actually fun and required some actual skill. The one in Skyrim is a guessing game, and very annoying when the lock is set to Master.

(13) Hotkeys are non-existent. The favorites section is the worst idea ever imaginable for such a replacement.

I'll most likely resell this game. It doesn't live up to Morrowind and Oblivion, or any RPG just has any sort of complexity or customization. It's extremely boring and repetitive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011, 5:35:08 PM PST
the game doesnt cap you at 50

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 9:21:38 PM PST
PS2 Bruce says:
Oh, I thought of a couple of more things I don't like.

1. You STILL cannot cast/fight/shoot your bow from your horse. So, as before, as you're riding along and get attacked, you must dismount, ready your weapon, etc. How about just being able to turn about and fire a couple of arrows at the damn wolf/bandit/sabre cat, whatever. I can't believe that they still did not change this.

2. Sigh. You still can't properly walk up/climb a steep incline. Six years later I'm still "crabbing sideways" up a steep mountain. Come on.

3. @Timothy R. Jenkins: for your #11, I'm thinking you mean "Thane." Yes, it does not seem that useful. When you commit a crime, and the guard moves to intercept you, yes you can say the "I'm the Thane, how dare you," or whatever. He will leave you alone if you don't make a habit of things, but, guess what? Your bounty is not cleared. Same thing if you bribe them, yes, that stops their action against you then, but your bounty in that hold stays on you. What is the point of that? I also agree on the lockpicking; I liked Oblivion's better (not to mention the "open x lock" spell that used to be part of the Alteration school. If you could cast "Open hard lock," that (A) saved you a bunch of picks and (b) raised your alteration skill, better to get to expert and be able to cast "pack mule," etc.).

Regarding houses, Timothy, I sort of disagree. It IS useful to have ONE. (In Oblivion, after the first playthrough, the only one I bothered to get was the Waterfront District shack). One you have "Breezehome," that is all you need, in reality, you don't even need the decorations, I just got them because I wanted the house to have more than a bed and a chest in it. Its not much gold, and you have a place that's easy to get to (it's right inside the Whiterun gate, next door to the smith), and you own a bed, a chest to keep all your extra stuff in, and if you decorate it (not that much more gold; once you have cleared some dungeons and sold some things you don't want it's easy to have about 12,000 gold early in the game), you have your own alchemy station, etc. But if you know a chest somewhere , where you KNOW your stuff will be there next time, that's cool too.

But with these few complaints, I still do love the game. I don't find it boring at all; I would just rather have it the way I want it :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 9:27:41 PM PST
Nathan B says:
@ Bruce --

I don't even use a horse for that very reason: you can't fight from it. Ever played mount and blade (PC only, sadly)? I'd have loved to see a mounted combat system like that. Still, I actually like walking so I can enjoy the scenery. It's just beautiful. And I agree with the incline issue: that is even more annoying with a follower. You have to do the weird jump thing to get to where you want to be, find a new location nearby, and then fast travel to get your follower there.

This game has it's imperfections, like the list I posted a couple days ago, but I maintain that I love this game. It is a ton of fun.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011, 9:36:45 PM PST
PS2 Bruce says:
@Whitey Fords on enchanting: True, but I still hate this method, where you have to destroy the item to "learn" the effect. L preferred the old way, where, if you could cast the spell you KNEW the effect, the strength depended on your skill with the spell (Expert, Master, etc), the size of the filled soul gem, and, provided you would have the magicka, that you had enough gold. For example, If I already HAVE an ebony sword that does flame damage, why would I destroy THAT one to be able to MAKE one? I've already got one of the best quality blades in the game that can deal flame damage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011, 9:50:17 PM PST
PS2 Bruce says:
@Davidovich53: Yep I detest those children. I don't like children in RPG's in general. Any NPC should be killable. But, of course I would not kill children, so, they don't need to be in there at all, imo.

My game really doesn't hard crash (entire console freezes) that much. It seems to do so after about 3 hours of continuous play. As I posted elsewhere, this could be that it's running out of system memory, cache, that I have an older (2009 vintage) 360, or any combination of these. But as I learned from Oblivion; which had a similar problem, the workaround if you want to call it that is SAVE OFTEN. I mean OFTEN. After every fight, raising of a skill, level up, after going inside, back outside, after you have traveled down the road a couple minutes, etc etc. It only takes a few moments and I am always glad I did, because for one thing, if you get killed the game will respawn you at your MOST RECENT save. If it's the autosave where you entered that Barrow, you will start all over there and lose 40 minutes of beating Draugr lords, finding skill books etc. If it's the MANUAL save from 6 minutes ago, well, you get the idea :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  41
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about