Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

What happens after the singularity?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2009, 9:10:08 AM PDT
David Field says:
I think that there's been little discussion about where we will go after the singularity occurs, as I believe it will around mid-century.

This will prove to be probably the most significant event to occur, yet few people are even considering it will happen, and even fewer are arguing what will happen in the aftermath.

You probably accept that we'll have computer-assisted brains, pretty much unlimited life, and machines that will do our inventing. But what will this do to our society?

I think it could mean an end to Capitalism. What do you give to the person who has everything? Why would such people even bother to work? Will there be open source "things" that will be designs for our build-from-atoms machines? You could download (for a fee) a design for a BMW or Lexus Personal Transportation Device, or you could take the free alternative which gets you around pretty much just as well.

Will people who face several centuries of useful life be willing to have kids? In many countries, people's kids are expected to support their parents, but if you want for very little, why procreate?

I don't think that there will be a huge gap between rich countries and poor. From what I see about AIDS in Africa, the major problem in more developed countries is a social one of people not wanting to admit that they are HIV-positive - not from there not being enough drugs at affordable prices. I would expect that the nanobots would be available to everyone in the world, unless people want massive wars.

I wonder whether we don't find aliens simply because the aliens don't care too much whether we exist or not. Imagine the disturbance that technology would bring, even if it was from 2110. If it all came at once, it would be almost impossible for us to deal with it. So maybe they treat us like we treat antiques - laughably simple, but something that you don't want to replace.

These are just a few of the ideas I have - what do you think?

Posted on Aug 26, 2011, 10:17:23 AM PDT
Jarek says:
What happens after the singularity?
I too have been looking for a plausible prediction of our post-singularity future. Over the years I've only found two highly believable descriptions of this singularity afterlife:
1) The novel "Forever Pleasure: A Utopian Novel" describes a post-singularity universe where the value of every item and every person is absolute zero. Machines provide everything on demand from the near infinite resources of the universe. Everyone is posthuman and are engineered with the removal of human predispositions to violence, leader following and competition. There's no economy, no police, no laws and no government!

2) The second novel "Excession" is similar except the "Minds" (super intelligent AI) administrate galactic resources and public services. The Minds produce all goods and services in a moneyless society called the Culture. There's no law, but the Minds are the police and military force of the Culture.

Posted on Aug 26, 2011, 1:11:58 PM PDT
David Field says:
>> What happens after the singularity?

Nobody knows.

You put a bunch of computers in a room (with links to all the other computers in the world) and tell them "Get smarter." Who knows what will come of that?

You might as well say, "What discoveries will humans make?"

I'm glad that I won't be around to deal with it. I'm hoping governments everywhere decide to officially recognize it, and start a debate about what might/should happen.

Here's a question - "What happens after the Internet?" Not "What will replace the Internet," but a question that should have been asked before 1995. Would anyone have predicted Google, Facebook, or even the growth of Amazon?

You can see the unpreparedness in the movements to try to put State sales tax on Amazon and other on-line retailers. It will go this way and that and will eventually be resolved. But had they had this kind of discussion fifteen years ago, and (sadly) the pro-tax people won, think of all the monies that would have been collected over the years. I hope they don't come down in favor of taxes, but it would have been nice to see the question discussed before it became so important.

And that is just a tiny piece of an issue that is much less important than the Singularity. Yes, finally the Internet is less important than something.

Given the predilection of large parts of the American population to ignore issues that they don't understand (like Evolution), I don't think the debate will start any time soon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology by Ray Kurzweil (Paperback - September 26, 2006)
4.1 out of 5 stars (430)