Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Living Dead Girl forum

What happens at the end of the book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2009, 7:40:50 AM PDT
J. Goodwin says:
So I got this book yesterday and I read the entire things in one sitting. However, I'm really confused about what happened at the end. Does anyone want to explain it? Or you can email: paperhearts63@aol.com Thanks!

Posted on Nov 2, 2009, 12:58:22 AM PST
albie says:
I have just finished this book myself and I immediately came on here to find out myself! But alas I see no one else seems to know...

Posted on Dec 11, 2009, 8:18:29 PM PST
Blue Jean says:
OK,....

****SPOILER***

Most opinions would say she dies, but if you're an optimist, you could say that she's rescued, taken to the ER, and begins a new life. It's a rather "lady or the tiger" ending, depending on your outlook.

Posted on Apr 28, 2010, 1:37:18 PM PDT
P. Iammatteo says:
I agree--it's kinda impossible to know that happened. I like to think that Kyla lived and Alice died. I think it's open to interpretation.

Posted on May 7, 2010, 9:27:39 AM PDT
Jenn F says:
You don't know what happened. And that's kinda the point, I think. As much as I wanted to know and shouted a guttural, "Nooo!" at the end. The point though is Alice is finally free. It really didn't matter how. She got what she wanted. She's finally free.

Posted on Jul 28, 2010, 8:24:37 AM PDT
Dianora says:
Interesting -- I thought it was really clear that she was dead. Death is the only way she was ever going to truly be free, after what she had been through.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011, 9:47:27 PM PDT
Kate Workman says:
I thought the same thing -- that she died, and that it was the only way she would ever be free. I'd have to read the book again to make sure, but I believe there are implications throughout the book that she believes the only way to be free is for her to find someone to take her place and then to die. She has no ideas about escaping him.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011, 9:07:33 AM PDT
shes definately dead, she was even talking about how she was feeling like she was dying. she died with ray on top of her like always. the book was entertaining but its like omg u dumb little girl! this guy let u leave the house u culd've been got help!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 11:38:34 PM PDT
JR Corry says:
What the hell are you talking about? I thought she got away, I thought her parents saw her and someone shot Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 11:40:31 PM PDT
JR Corry says:
That's not true.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 11:40:56 PM PDT
JR Corry says:
Yes it DOES matter, her freaking parents need to find her.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012, 6:52:11 PM PDT
I also thought it was certain that Kyla/Alice dies. The boy tried to shoot Ray but hit her. On the ground, shot through the chest, everything going black, "I am free"--she dies. I have no idea why Elizabeth Scott did this. I might have been okay with the book if Kyla had gotten away, but as it is, it reads as a message to abused teens that the only way out is death. I would have felt pretty hopeless if I'd read it as a teenager.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012, 5:24:31 PM PDT
LitLove says:
Yes, same here...I mean, it was pretty clear at the end, where she had suffered a knife wound and a gunshot, and their voices were fading, that she was dead. Because, exactly what you said...she would never be free in life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012, 5:26:57 PM PDT
LitLove says:
No...she died saving someone else from a life of the abuse that she had. I mean it was a horribly depressing book, but I wasn't left feeling hopeless.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012, 3:51:25 PM PDT
JR Corry says:
That's nonsense, and especially a worthless thing to say in the face of people who have survived abuse. Things were going black because she passed out.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012, 4:13:31 PM PDT
JR Corry, are you replying to me? If so, I'm a survivor as well, which is why I was upset by what I saw as the book's message. It's fine if you don't agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012, 4:23:53 PM PDT
JR Corry says:
No, not at all, I was replying to LitLove. I agree with you fully, and am so sorry about what you went through.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Living Dead Girl forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Living Dead Girl
Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (Hardcover - September 2, 2008)
4.1 out of 5 stars (333)