Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
asked by E. Hoak on October 3, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
Then consider yourself fortunate--you're able to process carbs. But has anyone in your family gained weight as they got older? I'm not talking hugely fat, but maybe ten pounds or so? Taubes writes that the older we get, the less we're able to process the carbs, the dreaded "middle age spread".
Patricia Beninato answered on October 25, 2008
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Jeff Evans answered on November 12, 2008
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This is typical of young people with little insulin resistance. However, high carb/sugar diets that produce higher blood sugar levels increase risk whether you're thin or not (the risk of most diseases associated with diabetes increases by about 30% for every 30 unit increase in blood glucose). And your insulin resistance will only rise as you get older, making weight gain and rising blood sugars more likely. Also note that about 20% of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics are thin. So it's the blood glucose levels that count.
bgsrule answered on August 28, 2009

A
H. Karaki answered on October 16, 2009
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I agree with H. Karaki -- size isn't everything. My (adoptive) mom has been slender her whole life, and is also a carb addict (bread and sweets every day -- the diet that inflated me to over 220 pounds), but has been diabetic since she was in her thirties, and has arthritis, irritable bowel, high blood pressure, and congestive heart failure. All the diseases of civilization, except for obesity.
Rose M. Nunez answered on May 27, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If your adoptive mom was diabetic since her thirties and was still eating high carbs, she may have been thin because of high sugars. These high sugars also contribute to arthritis (fluid retention), bowel problems due to neuropathy, high blood pressure (fluid), and congestive heart failure (fluid and/or medication caused).
Amazon Customer answered on May 30, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
David Esposito answered on July 7, 2011

A
Jodi-Hummingbird answered on July 14, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
A blood glucose meter is cheap, easy to use, and might open the original poster's eyes to surprising BG levels even if you are not overweight. See the recently published book "Sugar Nation," written by a pre-diabetic who is tall and thin (and a writer for various men's health magazines!)

(I realize the OP was made nearly 3 years ago, but still...)
Kathy Grace answered on August 25, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
150 F3 answered on July 17, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product