BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Enthusiast: Photographyon November 21, 2013
I've never been on a Safari, might never be on one, but that's what's great about books and in this case Audio Books too. In the theater of the mind you can go anywhere! I got this book while on a 'daily deal' because of the subject and it had available the Audio Book format and 'Whispersync' functionality between both the Kindle Book and the Audio Book.
I enjoyed the authors reminiscing and stories of his adventures in his live as a guide. I found it interesting to see behind the curtain of a job that I'm sure like many others, the public doesn't get to envision. The Australian sounding reader of the Audio Book was very good and translated the stories from page to voice well. A good memoir.
on April 13, 2017
Having just been to Botswana and South Africa on four different safaris, this book was recommended to us by our travel company. I needed some reading on the plane so we bought it. Oh my God, if you have been on a safari you can relate to everything in this book. Very well written and very, very funny. I have recommended this to friends and they all concur it is great reading. Highly recommended.
on April 24, 2017
Great book, easy read most stories are only a few pages so easy to pick up and put down. But the stories are highly entertaining and well told
on August 27, 2013
This was a quick enjoyable read. I have been to Botswana several times before and I bought this book for my children who I was taking to Botswana. The book was fairly accurate about the experience. I didn't particularly care for the author's general characterization of his guests/tourists. Reading this you would think that most of the guests were bores or nincompoops. My experience is most of the people I have met on safari were sincerely interested in conservation and for the most part enjoyable. That's not to say I didn't meet a few idiots! All in all, a humorous (mostly) and insightful look at going on safari. I'd recommend it for first time safari goers.
I loved this book. Having been on a photo safari years ago in Kenya and Tanzania, it was fascinating to see what safari life is like on the other side of the camp where people like Peter Allinson made things run. The narrative is simple and direct, without a lot of extra pages as filler. The author has a pretty good writing style, and he does a great job of describing both the joys of guiding safaris as well as the occasional terrifying moments, sometimes on the same page.

Highly recommended if you're going on safari or if you've been on one, or if you're just curious about what a safari is like.
on June 30, 2013
I really enjoyed this book but that was in large part due to the fact that we just returned from Botswana, where one of the camp managers recommended it. Our first camp was in the same area as the camp that Peter worked at and one that he mentions several times in his book. Because of this we could easily relate to many of his stories and picture ourselves being in the far back seat of his Range Rover as he described events.

In all honesty, if you have not been to Botswana I think you will still enjoy the book but not nearly as much as if "you've been there and done that". If you're like us, that might just be the excuse you need to pack a bag and head for Botswana!
If you do go, Peter's book will give you a pretty good idea of the excitement and unpredictability of trekking through the jungles of Botswana in a Range Rover or trying to return to your tent from the camp bar and lounge area late at night. Would we do it again? You bet! In an instant! Our only regret? We were not part of many of Peters stories! But than, we came back with our own set of stories. Enjoy.
Just finished and this is a book that will appeal to virtually everyone! Written in a humorous manner, it tells the story of the author's time spent as an African safari guide. Speaks of encountered danger, of the beauty of African wildlife and above all his passion for preserving that life.

Very easy read and a great book for readers of all ages!
on May 3, 2017
A book full of adventure, and simply an entertaining read. The stories revealed the beauty and adventure one can only find in Africa. I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves animals and travel.
on August 18, 2017
Since we are heading to Africa next year, Botswana in particular, this book was recommended by an experienced traveler. It did not disappoint. Well written, informative and funny, it is a must read for anyone thinking about making a safari trip. Thoroughly enjoyable.
on March 17, 2017
Beautifully and humorous,y told stories with real appreciation for natural wildlife, the people he worked with and the animals encountered. This book was recommended by a friend. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.