Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 18, 2011
I just received this today and already put it in to watch with my kids. The format is a little different from the "What's in the Bible?" series, and the storytelling isn't quite as vivid. My 5- (just shy of 5 year old) son could only watch about half of it, so it might be geared for a slightly older school-aged kid.

Instead of the set of the Buck Denver news show, the video cuts to the different characters as they either prepare for a Christmas party at Buck Denver's cabin in the woods or travel to the party. It's fun to see the characters actually interact with each other a little bit. Basically, as they travel, bake cookies, and decorate, the characters ask questions like, "Why is it called Christmas?" or "Who is Santa Claus anyway?" Then through stories via the flannelgraph and the popsicle-stick puppet theater, explanations are given.

The video is quite talky, even for this series, hence I think my son will appreciate it more when he is a little older. Part of the issue is, he isn't even that versed in Christmas traditions like Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, etc. We opted to play those things down...but perhaps now that we're better armed with the video and explanations for the traditions, we'll start incorporating them more.

One tidbit that was fun to chew on: Jesus celebrated Hanukkah.
46 people found this helpful
on December 8, 2014
I paid nearly twice the current price for this DVD and do not regret it. We have gotten many of the other Buck Denver "What's in the Bible?" DVDs from our local library but they did not carry this one. It's just as well because I see it being one that we watch several times a season for many years to come, especially as our children get older. I learned some things I did not know from this DVD but it is also presented in a humourous way (without being at all disrespectful) and it is a joy to watch.

(As an aside, this DVD also comes with a coloring sheet of its cover inside, which may not seem like a big deal, but since we have been getting the other DVDs from the library my five year old has never been allowed to use the coloring sheets before (and before you say we could make a copy, the other library coloring sheets have always already been colored in by a previous child) so my son was thrilled to be able to have one to color in himself, despite not really being into coloring books or anything like that anymore. (We have since ordered the "What's in the Bible?" coloring book, though!) )
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2014
I thought this was a cute, fun DVD about the origins of many of the Christmas traditions. It's a well-made and fun romp through the centuries of Christmases past with puppets made for children as well as the child in all of us!

Buck Denver decides to have a party and invites his friends (invitations delivered by flying squirrel) to come to his house for said party. Along the way, each invited guest has question about a Christmas tradition which is answered as the story moves along. Frankly, I learned a lot about the Christian origins of traditions I have always taken for granted.

This is a fun DVD that will obviously play well at Christmas time and obviously be enjoyed most by children. Having said that, I think a lot of older "children" will enjoy it as well. This is a fun video, well deserving of five stars.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Buck Denver, Phil Vischer and the puppet gang present another round of fun this time about the origins of Christmas. My kids all love the series and my 2 year old most of all. Even I learn things from these fun and informative videos.
on December 29, 2015
This video was playing in the children's section of a LifeWay bookstore when I stopped by to do some Christmas shopping. My 3-year-old son was mesmerized by it, cackled at the jokes, and did not want to leave the store before it was over. I had never heard of the Buck Denver videos, but I purchased it for him and my 5-year-old daughter as a pre-Christmas treat. They both enjoy it, and my son laughs out loud every single time. :-) My husband and I actually learned some interesting facts about why we celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah the way we do. I like having a video from a Christian perspective about Christmas that both kids enjoy.
on May 2, 2016
I have kids aged 6-8 and they are highly entertained by What's in the Bible. They've loved Veggie Tales for years and are big fans of Phil Visher. What's in the Bible is not only entertaining but they learn a lot of very high lever biblical information too. It's very informative and done in a way that gets them to understand in a kid friendly way. Well done, funny, enlightening and enjoyable.
on April 13, 2018
Very informative and adorably done! Slightly young for my 9 and 12 yr olds but they still learned a lot.
on November 30, 2015
Bought this for our 4 yo son. He loves it and we do too! We have learned a lot of stuff we didn't even know before! We are looking to buy the rest of the series too. I think it's a good investment and a great way to get your kids asking questions.
on January 2, 2013
My husband had me order this for his Sunday School Class which we are in a rural/small town and the age groups are really varied. After watching it we decided that it is suited for all ages, even adults! We asked the questions that came with it and they were answered very well.
We would highly recommend this video to families/Sunday School Classrooms/and children on up to teens that you may know.
Buck Denver is so good at these movies!
on January 15, 2016
I like this but my three year old didn't stay interested in it. I'm hoping next Christmas she'll sit through it, she'll be four and a half then. We'll see! Super cute though and I love the way it handles each tradition. My husband and I were learning all sorts of new things :)
|11 comment|Report abuse