Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on July 18, 2013
Brian Solis is a thought leader, as he is hailed by many. And that might be very well the case. That's also actually what triggered me in buying the Kindle version of his lates book "What's the future of Business".

The book is all about the customer experience. But I had a bad customer experience reading this book. The book does tough upon some interesting questions, but when you think Brian is going to give some real answers, he keeps writing pages and pages about, well, I can't remember. It just keeps repeating the same stuff on some ivory tower level, while never really giving concrete answers.

It just didn't stick.

In the end of the book, there's a case about Burberry. According to Brian, from an interview with the an exec from Burberry, they have really managed to align all channels, on and offline, to provide the same customer experience. Unfortunately they do not tell how.

And I guess that sums up the book. Sorry Brian, I know you musth have put a lot of work in this book, and I am sure lot's of people will enjoy this one. This book is probably not my type of book.

Tom
on March 22, 2013
TLDR review - even more so than Brian's longer, more academic books, this is a fantastic book about the emergence of the primacy of experience and the rise of a new, always connected consumer. CEO's, CMO's, CIO's and in fact leaders and marketers at all sizes of companies should experience this book - in print if possible - and come away inspired to have their own Hero's Journey (and rethink the experiences they craft for their businesses).

Longer Review and disclosures.

First the disclosure - Brian Solis is a friend - he was invited to my wedding and I've known him for years since I moved to the Bay Area. That said, I pre-ordered the book and bought it myself. But as with so much in business at all levels the personal friendship certainly helped drive his book to the top of my "to-read" (and to review) stack and I was pre-disposed to like it. Furthermore as I know many of his co-workers at Altimeter Group and we have many other mutual friends much of what he is writing about in this book is among the stuff we talk about when we get together (yup, we're all business/marketing/futurism/tech geeks and nerds at heart).

A few weeks ago I joined a new startup as their Director of Marketing. We are a tiny company (I'm the first actual hire) but even as small as we are there were many insights and reminders in What's the Future the reminded me of important things we as a company and especially I in the context of marketing our firm need to keep in mind going forward. First and foremost that we have to think about the whole experience of our product - from awareness of the product to getting the product to using it to sharing it with others.

I am also a writer myself and a fan of the physical design of things - especially books. What's the Future of Business is a beautiful physical object. In interviews Brian has described this as a coffee table book that you actually want to read and that description is accurate to an extent. It is a highly designed book where the form has important functions in serving the thesis of the book itself. He has created an experience - with a design that includes many pull quotes and great illustrations - and through repetition of simple patterns and images as well as a great summary at the end helps you experience the book as if attending a great talk or presentation - a bit less as a pure book and more as a whole thing. Mostly this is a good thing - the short chapters and illustrations help reinforce the points - while also making them fairly memorable and actionable.

That said there are places where the design falters - a few sections that seem long compared to the others - and in a few places at the end as the earlier chapters are summarized it is not always clear if what you are reading is a summary or a review with additional points and elements that had been left out of the earlier chapters. And the need to write to many audiences all at once also hurts the book a bit - it is very much written with the very large corporation seemingly front of mind - a marketer for a smaller firm has challenges just getting our first customers let alone getting the future mobile first experience of those customers sharing that experience with others right. But that said, we in fact need to be as concerned about the emergence of Generation C as Brian calls them.

Overall this is a book that is well worth reading and which I hope sparks a lot of people to rethink their businesses - just as many companies are starting to get a handle on the emergence of the Internet connected customer they need to start dealing with a next wave of consumers who start on mobile, connected networks and go from there.
on January 23, 2017
Brian Solis mind is configured to see the world in a way that allows him to create and offer insights that may be difficult to imagine, but that are nonetheless important and totally and absolutely necessary to understand if you are to adapt, survive and thrive in our ever-changing world. I have tremendous respect for his ability to say things that others do not even have a clue about. His guidance is eye-opening and of significant value to all those who seek to build and maintain a thriving online business or organization.
on August 2, 2013
I have know Brian for a couple of years and started following him because of how much I related to his ideas, message and way of thinking. He is exactly what he writes: authentic, kind and down to earth. I received a signed copy of the book and dove right in. As a fellow content and media enthusiast, I love new media and especially the power of social media to communicate, engage and change the way people think and act. In WTF, Brian lays out all of the most compelling, current and relevant ideas about "creating the experience" for customers, communities and each other. From the book design, which is simply "cool" to the journey he takes us on through the chapters, I am really enjoying reading and savoring this book and am taking my time reading through it. WTF is thoughtful,innovative and gives us the 21st century tools and ideas to be successful in today's business social terrain. "At the center of this evolution or (r)evolution is the experience". Thank you Brian for mine.
on March 25, 2013
I've read ALL of Brian's books and pre-ordered the hardback version of "What's The Future of Business?" from Amazon on January 14, 2013. In short, WTF is excellent! It's jam packed with pertinent data that organizations need in order to adapt for long-term success. WTF is well-written, and the colorful illustrations, headings, subtitles, Twitter screen captures, graphs and charts make it enjoyable to read. The clean layout, attractive design, and 4-color printing, combined with the manner in which Solis presents valuable, highly-relevant information makes the time spent with WTF quite a memorable experience. Highly Recommended! NOTE TO EBOOK PURISTS: You'll want to own the hardback version of this book!
on April 11, 2013
Lets start by admitting Altimeter and Brian Solis are top of the pops in all online reading. I was unabashed fan of End of Business as Usual, and taking so many of Brian's views, beliefs & recommendations and weaving into our business. Needless to say, will be doing the same with What's the Future of Business. Waited for Kindle version and again didn't put it down. The concept of Customer Experiences at every Moment of Truth is biggest takeaway. Already starting 2nd read. 2013 will again be referencing the brilliance of Solis in our business and with our customers. Must read.
on February 16, 2014
If you are into "creating the ultimate customer experience" I highly recommend you read this book.

It is an easy read, and I love the author's methodology for taking you through the process of reworking your business model and how you enhance the customer experience.

You can literally go through this book in just a few short days. It is well worth your time and money!
on March 22, 2013
I've just devoured this new book by Brian Solis and it's a must read for anyone in business.

It's a fact. The way we need to engage with customers & prospects is changing dramatically and at pace. If we fail to manage experiences from the get go - and this had better involve clear, integrated and consistent messages - at every touch point...we're 'cruising for a bruising'.

Incidentally Brian,I love what you did with your design. It's awesome - making the experience of reading your book so easy and enjoyable.

Thanks - a great read and a job well done.
on April 17, 2013
Technology is changing the dynamic between buyers and sellers very rapidly and customers are expecting to have a good experience when they buy. Jeff Bezos (CEO) of Amazon says we (Amazon) are all about the customer experience. Brian Solis explains at a very detailed level what that statement means in today's market and how to position your company for it. Social media and technology have transformed business and this is a guidebook to the future of business. If you want to understand where business is headed...buy this book!
on May 12, 2013
I wanted more detail throughout reading this book then my experience was I needed to provide the detail I don't know if the author intended this through his succinctness and overall short book yet this was my experience I have discovered many ideas to work on to provide prospects and clients with a far greater user experience Loved the use of the heroes journey and the various moments of truth Bonus chapter and other resource also great