Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Art of Fielding: A Novel forum

What's Going On Here?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2011, 6:59:55 AM PDT
Yesterday afternoon I posted a five star review of "The Art of Fielding". There are over 100 reviews so far and mine shows up more than halfway down the list on page 7 of 12. When I looked this morning it had gathered 3 "unhelpful" comments. Checking the ""Most Recent" review list I found another five star review, also posted yesterday, that had gathered four unhelpful comments. Neither of us had collected any helpful comments. My reviews often go for weeks or more before they collect feedback one way or the other. Am I being paranoid? Or am I right ot think some one is trying to discredit my work for reasons not related to its merits? What do you think?

Posted on Oct 29, 2011, 12:13:29 PM PDT
David, spend some time watching the reviews of heavily-hyped new releases and you'll see this effect occur often. Those who either loved or hated the book will systematically mark reviews helpful or not helpful according to what matches their opinion. Sometimes readers feel deceived by hype and will viciously attack the book and positive reviews. Sometimes you get an author with a sizable online fanbase whose zealous fans artificially inflate ratings and disparage critics.

There's an art to reading between the lines and throwing out reviews and votes that clearly come from biased sources.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011, 2:47:48 PM PDT
K. Morris says:
i've got no dog in this fight. you'll have to take me at my word for that. i was excited to read a book about literature and baseball, and i was struck by the recommendations of authors like franzen, so i bought the book. problem is it's a truly awful book. hideous even. read the 1-star reviews here...they're accurate. their vehemence is due to the absolutely unjustified hype this book received. we feel had, and that feeling is absolutely justified. i cant help but think chad harbach must be the most well-connected author out there. how else could such a shoddy, amateurish book receive such improbable accolades?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011, 4:26:26 PM PDT
Dear K. Thanks ever so much for being in touch with me about the reactions to the Harbach book. I sense your distress. I, too, read the book (library copy) based on its enthusiastic reviews. Unlike you, I found a great deal to like about it as I said in my review. I don't have any dispute with those who didn't think the book lived up to its reviews. And good for them for saying so. What troubles me is that there seem to be a small group of the book's detractors who wait for each new favorable review and pounce on it as soon it is published. I'm quite willing to honor the good faith of those who dislike the book. I expect the same indulgence for my views, at least if they are thoughtfully expressed and reveal that I read the book with care before I expressed my opinion. FYI, as a general rule I refuse to express a negative opinion about another reviewer's work, although I have, now and then, expressed a favorable opinion about another review rather than repeat what someone else as said as well or better than I could.Thanks, again, for being in touch. And wasn't that a game 6 for the ages? DRA

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011, 4:35:03 PM PDT
Leah, many thanks for being in touch. You confirm my fears. There are people who are quite willing to disparage a review solely because it differs from their take on the book. The downside, of course, is that such a practice undermines the purpose of the review function. That has happened to me more than once and has cost me a good deal of traction in my "New Reviewer" ratings. In an unjuried forum like Amazon's feedback reviews, that is bound to happen. If that's the price we pay for freedom of speech, I accept the result, but I don't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 10:20:29 AM PDT
I agree, David. It can be very discouraging to post a review representing a minority opinion and have vindictive fans or detractors destroy your rating because they disagree with your opinion. Cheers for continuing to review anyway.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 24, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
The Art of Fielding: A Novel
The Art of Fielding: A Novel by Chad Harbach (Hardcover - September 7, 2011)
4.0 out of 5 stars (1,242)