Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on November 17, 2016
Rachel Botsman's book on the Rise of Collaborative Consumption is a brilliant read and will form the basis of how I progress my thinking on social capital, social enterprise and the future of consumption.

She makes the topic engaging and enjoyable through the usage of excellent examples but also a strong and compelling basis of discussion. The social and collaborative economy is a rapidly growing part of everything we experience as consumers but also leaders.

Rachel challenges the reader to move out of their comfort zone and shift their mindset to the future (present) of consumption.

Highly recommended book for anyone in leadership positions in any enterprise.
on August 23, 2011
Whether we can truly quit our habits of over-consumption is a moot point. Perhaps the halfway house is co-consumption or collaborative consumption. This book helps understand how and why this would be a good thing. In particular the book shows how, in our techno savvy world, we can engage with collaborative consumption through the various IT ways in which we can link with goods and services ('there's an app for that') and with each other. Importantly, how our individual profiles of reputation for honesty and reliability can be built through the trails of trust we create as we buy, sell, and share various goods and services. So that when we want to share a house or a car with someone, they can see whether this would be a good proposition. This book shows how we do this through 'trust banks'.

On the downside, the book contains a few too many openers like "Doris Swetzell was a successful academic but knew there was more to life, so she started "Share a moggie", a web-based outfit that loans cats to those who want a cat experience but not the fuss of cat ownership" (OK I admit, I just made this one up). But that sort of thing. While we need to know real case studies, I felt a bit slugged out with the number here.

But overall, this is a great book. I read it on a long haul flight from Auckland to Vancouver (feeling guilty about the airmiles I was clocking up). So to learn how to mitigate the environmental effect of other aspects of my consuming lifestyle by collaboratively consuming (and enjoying it) helped to assuage my conscience.
on May 29, 2014
Rachel has done a great job of taking the reader on the journey of how modern consumerism has engulfed our lives and how Collaboration Systems can help to mitigate some of the waste produced by the modern consumption imperative.

Once you read the book all the news items and RSS feeds you get about Collaborative Consumption will now make a whole lot more sense!

The various commentators in the media who are trying to rely the concept as 'news' just don't get the essence of the Collaborative Economy that Rachel does so if this topic excites you in any way read the book.
on February 22, 2014
Every now and then a book comes along that opens my eyes to an important mega-trend that I have totally missed. What's Mine is Yours brings together social enterprise, the sharing economy, environmental consciousness and community care in one brilliant idea: collaborative consumption. Why I did not read this book sooner is beyond me. I'm only glad that I finally read it. It changed the way I see the world and the relationship of business to it.
on January 2, 2016
I wrote my master thesis on this subject and derailed a bit from it during the last 3 years. Reading this book while thinking of the company I want to build refreshed my knowledge and inspired me. Great for anyone thinking about a better world for everyone...
on August 27, 2013
This is a great book that gives good insight on collaborative consumption. Rachel and Roo give relevant facts and resources throughout the book. The story telling helps you understand how businesses are being created to collaborate in today's worlds. If you run a business or a website this is a great read to get the knowledge on how people and communities are moving toward the collaborative lifestyle. Get the book you wont regret it!
on November 10, 2014
It's a good entrance point to collaborative economy.
It lacks of the downside of it. Why isn't exploding? Which are the main reasons which some innitiatives rises and then falls?
Anyways, it is a first good overview of this theme.
Maybe a new version after 5 more years would be even better.
on December 7, 2010
A new age of sharing and collaboration is upon us. Are you ready?

If not, you may find yourself left behind.

"What's Mine is Yours. The Rise of Collaborative Consumption" is an important new book by Rachel Botsman and Roo Rogers. It explains how the extraordinary disruption caused by the communications revolution is spawning an explosion in sharing, bartering, lending, trading, renting, gifting and swapping.

Sites like Couchsurfing.com, which co-ordinates swaps of 'couch' accommodation for visitors and travelers has become the third most visited travel site in the world.

Car-sharing services like Zipcar saw their membership triple in 2009, and it is estimated that by 2015, 4.4 million people in North America and 5.5 million in Europe will belong to similar services.

People are realising that they don't have to own everything themselves, and that reaching out to others and sharing saves them money, makes them feel good and makes them new friends.

It meets a fundamental human need for connection and sharing.

Even mega consumer brands like Nike are shifting their brand focus and advertising away from products and towards building collaborative communities, investing in nonmedia social hubs like NikePlus, where runners around the world post runnning routes, map their runs, offer advice and encourage one another. It is estimated that Nike is spending 55 per cent less on traditional advertising and celebrity endorsements than it did ten years ago.

So why is this change occurring? Botsman and Roo cite a number of reasons, one of which is that it
feeds what sociologist Marilynn Brewer calls our 'social self', the part of us that seeks connection and belonging.

People have a need to connect. We are essentially social beings. And after 60 years of what author Clay Shirky terms one-way media communication (television to us) the internet has given back some choice to consumers - and they're taking it.

Botsman and Roo posit that in 10 years people won't be judging each other by their credit rating but by their 'reputation rating' - what they give to, what they share and in what they participate. This will be a radical departure from the era of defining ourselves by the brands we display and the houses we live in.

There exists a huge desire for more meaning and connection in life.

Now is the time.

This is the most important book since "What would Google do?" and Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus". Read it or miss out on the next big thing.
on September 11, 2013
The is changing, fast. The new connected world is accelerating ideas, causes and movements at speeds never seen before in the history of mankind. Rachel and Roo have nailed it in this book, taking the reader through a strong sample of case studies and trends that we should all pay attention to. Whether your a consumer, a company, an entrepreneur or an investor, this book is a must read.
on November 1, 2010
Every now and then a book comes along that enables us to change the way we see life. What's Mine is Yours" is a book that is hard to categorize. - it does not fit into "the read this and you will be happier" or "20 ways to improve the way you do business' or even "how to move from Mr Angry letter writing to getting yourself heard and actioned with your local council. It is a book that addresses a whole range of issues, from the impact of hyper-consumerism on the individual and the society and how they are joined at the hip, to how we can use old practices like bartering, trading and swopping to create a new economy and manage the world's resources better. It analyses the challenges and then offers food for thought for solutions

Intelligently written, accessible, insightful and without being 'touchy feely psychobabble,' the authors genuinely reach out to the parts of ourselves that sense that there is a better way to live together and show us how the power of collective behaviour through technology and social networking are actually creating online and face to face communities.

If you, like me have traded on ebay, do your bit for recycling and maybe even subscribe to Freecycle.com, pat myself on the back, but still have a sense that there is so much more I can do, but don't know where to start then this is a must read. And if you are not, then I challenge you to read this book and not feel optimistic about life again.