Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 25, 2015
This is my very first review and I am not "learned." In fact, I am a very simple guy. I'm Catholic and I feel relatively knowledgeable of my religion and the only reason I bought "What's So Great About Christianity" is because of the author, Dinesh D'Souza. I saw him in a debate with a liberal underground terrorist who hates America, and I very much respected the fact that Dinesh loves America and defended our country so vigorously--and even used biblical scripture to describe its exceptional nature. Even though Dinesh is a scholar, the book is written at a level that even the basic reader can readily understand, and it is for Christian believers and non-believers alike. For persons at my simple level of thought, it provoked visions of creation and evolution such as the difference of WHO did it verses…WHAT happened? CREATION is of God and is the beginning. Evolution is of man, and about continuation, change, adaptation, and survival over time.

Yet, Dinesh's book certainly does not stop there; that's only the beginning: There's Christianity and Limited Government, Science (Heck, I made the connection between Genesis and the medical term "genes"), the Theological Roots of Science, Christianity and the Invention of Invention, and I loved the chapter on Why Miracles are Possible ( It made me think how people want spectacles to see rather than miracles to believe. And how we couldn't even conceive of a miracle if none had ever happened. All things are possible. Or, how miracles don’t prove what is impossible; they confirm what is possible). Then, there's the old "Christian Inquisition" issue: Dinesh explores it with a sense of openness and critique, yet without bias.

Toward the end, Dinesh speaks to Atheism, Why Unbelief is So Appealing, and Where the Atheists Are When Bad Things Happen. While Dinesh does not indict atheists for their wait and see posture, he does make a very strong case for the rest of us--especially our youth--not to be taken in by their highly emotional rhetoric and pseudo-science claims that sound so "good" and "right."

Ultimately, Dinesh speaks to Why Man is More Than Matter. We are God's creation and God's light in the world. Our nature is light. As I read I could envision a darkened room, but the moment we turned on a light--the darkness of the room is dispersed and chased away. And it doesn't matter if the room has been dark for one week or 30 years, when our light switch is on--darkness is gone. So when Dinesh talks about man being more than matter--he's absolutely right. There's the "problems of man", and then there's "man as the problem." We must believe who and what we are. Dinesh spells it out for us in his wonderful book, What's So Great About Christianity.
on October 24, 2016
The sample on Kindle hooked me - and the first parts of this book are wonderful for what D'Souza does to introduce his subject. As you dive into this book, be prepared for a full-blown defense of not just Christianity, but D'Souza's refutation of the overall atheist argument against faith based on science and reasoning. I never did do any research on the book before I got it, only because of how much the introduction sucked me in (I purchased both the kindle and audible versions). For the tremendous effort and clarity of argument D'Sousa demonstrates, I cannot rate it less than 4.5 stars.

I confess that I was more inclined to hear more of the cultural impact and cultural greatness of Christian ideals, than what I found in the book (How the West Won is one of my all-time favorite non-fiction books). But, D'Sousa immersed my mind in subjects I have not bothered to consider since college, and for that I am grateful.

If you are tired of the relentless assault on "the west" and Christianity in general, add this arrow of information to your quiver. It is smooth, polished, and straight (to the point!).
on November 5, 2016
A very thorough and clear headed review of the current dispute between Christianity and the secular world with a particular emphasis on stating the obvious. MR D' Souza outlines the clear evidence for Christianity and the intellectual rigour with which it has been developed over the centuries. He often contrasts this, intentionally or otherwise, with the conservatism and the lack of curiosity displayed by much modern atheist thinking. He outlines the seminal contribution made by Christianity to western culture as well as outlining the importance of its survival if that culture is not to perish. A challenging read for Christians and atheists alike.
on June 6, 2012
Another reviewer likened this to one of the C. S. Lewis works, Mere Christianity. I agree in the sense that D'Souza, like Lewis, really knows how to get to the heart of the matter and present the Truth about things in a very reasonable, persuasive (even compelling), and irrefutable manner. Like Lewis, he excels in putting forth an apologetic argument.

Decades ago, as part of a philosophical framework for further study learning, or part of a philosophy program, a subject called "Natural Theology" was taught. This was initially popularized by Averroes and St. Thomas Aquinas, masters of Aristotelian philosophy, in the 12th and 13th centuries. Later in the 19th century, it was again popularized by William Paley. Throughout the years, it was certainly part of many Liberal Arts programs. This was not based on Divine Revelation, but merely human logic (or reasoning) and human experience. As Wikipedia states, "it is part of the philosophy of religion dealing with describing the nature of the gods, or, in monotheism, arguing for or against attributes or non-attributes of God, and especially the existence of God, purely philosophically, that is, without recourse to any special or supposedly supernatural revelation." D'Sousa deserves much credit for the groundwork he covers in this area in a limited amount of space, especially since this is not the topic of the book.

One of the primary goals of a Liberal Arts education was to teach a person how to think and reason things out. This "learning to think" meant in some way to stand on the shoulders of "the giants," the intellectuals--the great thinkers of the past--who preceded us.

Most students are not apt to receive anything even resembling this type of education these days. No, our education system has been dismantled. Actually, it was dismantled purposely and systematically! It is as if D'Sousa recoils at this and is intuitively showing us that he is well-aware of this while writing this book. He does nothing without first drawing on the wisdom of the past from the world's greatest thinkers who have more than survived the test of time.

As I read this (as an audiobook) I was amazed at how D'Sousa is able to stand his ground and not only defend Christianity, but also demonstrate the contributions made to the beginnings and ongoing development of what has resulted in what we might call our modern scientific methods and its current place in society. He successfully was able to hold up the truth and value of Christianity to the attacks made by atheists, scientists, evolutionists, etc. with a very sober line of reasoning. For instance, he claims that you cannot speak about what caused the Big Bang with the laws of physics, when these (with space and time) were created in the Big Bang.

When necessary, he resorts to drawing on the knowledge of the historical sciences and philosophy to help him defend Christianity against the charges brought against it. He is also quick to move to an offensive posture and poke holes in the many of the positions of modern science based on its lack of evidence or experiential knowledge.

D'Souza, like C. S. Lewis, has a special gift for clarity in writing for ordinary readers. I certainly commend him for his abundant research, combined with such a knowledgeable, cunning, daring, insightful and readable presentation. He himself claims that this is a book which should be (or he hopes will be) read by people on both or opposite sides of the fence.
on October 20, 2015
This may be the most eloquent defense and outright advocation of Christianity as I have ever read. I consider myself a reasonably well informed student of the Bible and the Christian Faith. But, even then, I find it challenging sometimes to defend my faith in the face of cynicism or even hostility exhibited by agnostics or atheists. I also watch with sadness how many Christians find themselves almost apologizing for aspects of their belief system in response to "popular views" in modern culture. D'Souza's book offers an effective tool to re-build confidence among believers, and perhaps bring along a few new believers too. Bravo!
on February 20, 2015
Clearly sets out several important concepts that are unique to faith in Christ, and what is really
at stake in following Jesus. NOT a defense of religion as usual, or the lame religiosity that so often
passes for Christianity in 21st C.(America). It's like a modern Mere Christianity (C.S.Lewis) brought current.

You'll understand how the vast contributions that Christianity has made to the world - by those with simple
trust in Jesus and understanding his worldview - have built amazing systems and structures for good
that we easily take for granted.

D'Souza addresses several simple claims of doubters and skeptics that need good answers, and how
believers can be satisfied with reasonable answers in their faith. Despite atheist arguments that "more evil has come
from religion" than other human sources, this book shows that real Christianity is growing, has endured, matured,
and is the leading force through humanity for actually Changing the World!

Sets forth the case for overcoming (human) evil inherent in *every other* atheist / religious / materialist /
post-scientific post-baloney / Old Age/ whatever Woowoo. . .
on September 9, 2017
This is a book that the Western world, and indeed the whole world has been waiting for. Christianity changed the attitudes and values of millions of people. In this time when it has become popular to deny Christianity for one reason or another D'Souza gives notice that without Christianity the values that we have embraced, will, over time disappear also and we will be plunged into the darkness of "might is right" and social Darwinism.
on December 2, 2017
I was greatly disappointed with this book. First it was a hard book to read as it dwells on a lot of theories by people who are really just guessing how the universe was formed . All the quotes from atheist authors,scientific theories, to religious scholars and Darwin-based beliefs make a mishmash of views with no real answer to the real question: what is the universe, what is our relation to it, and how did it ever come about. Is there a beginning and will there be an end? Does time even exist beyond our Earth?
The universe and nature exists beyond our ability to comprehend, yet so many try to tell us what it's all about. I'm not sure what form it takes but there is a power far beyond anything we can conceive. To me, that power is God, and having that faith makes me content with my life on the earth. Skipjack68
on December 20, 2016
I cannot believe the information this book gives you on Christianity. You will want to read it twice to get it all. The author Dinesh D'Souza is a great writer and puts the information across well. Even if you do not know about Christianity you will be well informed by the end of this book. It is educational for believer and unbeliever alike.
on November 24, 2015
Personally I adore Reason and Science. The author wonderfully used the same tools of Reason and Science to turn the table around and ask thought provoking questions and make the point that there is more to this Life than what seems. I read in this book that the Author is able to convey that this "more to this seemingly meaningless life" is better understood with Christian Views than any other view that exists.