Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jimi Hendrix Starting at $39.99 New Salon & Spa Wedding Store Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition RollingStones Shop Now STEM
What's the best way to clean these skillets?
asked by Sharon Vaknin on November 30, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 answers
A
Cyntha J. Resare answered on November 30, 2012
Comment | 25 of 25 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I use a Scotch Brite Non-Scratch scrub sponge, as soon after I'm done using the pan. I just run hot water, hold the pan in the sink (with a oven glove!) and clean off the pan. This works well, as no buildup deposits. I don't use soap. as the care instructions warn. This works great. Then, I let the pan cool, dry it off, and immediately treat the pan with a little vegetable oil. Fantastical results.
Steve S. answered on November 30, 2012
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
While skillet is still warm, dump in some kosher salt. Scrub under running water with a sponge or stiff brush. Rinse. Sometimes I need to repeat until the salt stays white (esp true if I cooked up bacon). Dry completely and immediately. Use a little bit of grapeseed oil to protect the pan. You don't want to use soap, steel wool, or put the pan in the dishwasher as it will strip the pan's seasoning. You also don't want to soak the pan in water because the pan will rust.
Mickey answered on November 30, 2012
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I second what many others have said: no soap. Just scrub food off when it is still warm. Then I spray it with cooking oil to keep working at the seasoning.
Carey Hubbell answered on November 30, 2012
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Midwest Lady answered on March 26, 2014
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My experience (I've used iron skillets for 50 years) has been that using soap ruins the seasoning. I use hot water and a kitchen brush or sponge with the green scrubbing surface on one side). Baking soda or salt are excellent to use to clean. NEVER soak the cast iron in water--it rusts! In the past, I used shortening or vegetable oils for frying or seasoning my skillets, but I have found that coconut oil is greatly superior to use in my skillets. It handles high heat well and does a superior job seasoning the skillets and creating a non-stick surface (grapeseed or peanut oil are also good).
Purple Violets answered on June 21, 2014
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Steel wool is fine. I use a sponge with a scotch Brite side but WITHOUT soap. You need to leave the oil on the skillet. If it is very dirty or has been buildup you can heat it up a little and srub it. There are also plastic scrapers that are sold on Amazon that are very handy.
John R. Vasquez answered on November 30, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If its something stuck on I will scrub with a scouring pad or heat it up with some water in it and it'll come off. Then once dry oil it up and I store it in my stove.
Cool Guy OTP answered on November 30, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Scrub with water and dry thoroughly, then re-season with vegetable oil. :)
phynyx answered on November 30, 2012
Comment (1) | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Wash lightly with soap & sponge when still hot. You dont want to scrub too much to keep it seasoned (or reseason it).

If you get rust, scrub with steel wool, rinse, dry thoroughly, then oil and begin re-seasoning.
Lauren answered on December 1, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product