Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2007, 10:32:00 AM PDT
I have yet to read this book, but I will be reading it this summer. Is this book historical fiction? Was there really a brides for Indians proposal? I see in one review where it states this was an actual event and the author fictionalizes a women from this event. Another reviewer says none of it happened - it's just great writing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009, 7:15:40 PM PDT
P. Dixon says:
I loved this book! By now you have probably read it and know the answers to your question. But for someone happening upon this - I think the book says that the proposal by the Indians to exchange 1000 horses for 1000 women is true; however, they were turned down. The story then is told as if the exchange really took place. This is a funny yet interesting story of the women that offered to go - most women were escaping from bad situations and thought that they would find 'love' from an Indian man and live happily ever after. Boy were they surprised at the life of an Indian wife! It is the one book that I am tempted to read again. I really loved the book!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012, 9:13:15 PM PDT
I wish I could get a definitive answer as to the veracity of this occurance

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012, 6:29:08 AM PDT
Laurel, I had an opportunity to speak with the author. It was a real proposal, however, there was never a trade of women for horses. He just wrote the book on "what if" that had happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012, 7:38:45 AM PDT
Bibliobethica,
As you have actually Spoken to the author, I thank you for your reply. The book is so fascinating, I wish it were true.
Laurel

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012, 12:20:08 AM PDT
Hildy Ann says:
Laurel,
You can also find the answer in the forward/preface of the book (at least in the the paperback trade edition which I read) which contains an author's note that states the only truth to the story is the proposal of 1000 horses for 1000 white women made by an Indian chief at peace talks that were talking place under President Grant.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012, 11:42:50 PM PDT
I know it didn't really happen, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Out of all of the books that I read, I don't usually remember the details. The author is a wonderful writer and made the details memorable and thought provoking.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012, 7:04:12 AM PDT
auntem says:
is there any actual documentation about the meeting between prresident grant and the indians?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2015, 12:41:55 AM PDT
There is actual documentation of the meeting between President Grant and Chief Little Wolf and his delegation that traveled to Washington DC to meet with President Grant in 1873. It was quite a meeting and Mrs. Grant fainted onto the floor when she heard the actual proposal for the exchange of women for horses. I teach history and happen to share this story with my students-if I have time (depends on how many snow days we have and if I am under a time crunch!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  May 25, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus (Hardcover - March 15, 1998)
4.3 out of 5 stars (2,274)