Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 24, 2016
About a year ago I began having pain in the upper abdomen, a little toward the right side. I went to my primary care doc. He did a brief exam and said he thought it was gall bladder and that I would need to have my gall bladder removed! I was in a state of shock! I have NEVER had a gall bladder problem in my entire life!!! Nor had my weight fluctuated a lot during my lifetime. Of course, I called my sister right away. She said to try gluten free just to see what happens. This was on Friday afternoon. I decided to give it a try! I had nothing to lose. So, I went online to learn everything I could. I did not know much, but, I can tell you, I did not eat anything with gluten and I was PAIN FREE! Holy cow! I eliminated gluten and managed to keep my gall bladder and avoid surgery! Now came the learning process. I had been able to see Dr. Davis on Public Television. Wow! A lot of information. Of course, I immediately went to Amazon and began my search for Dr. Davis' book. This book is very detailed regarding eating gluten free The book also has so many recipes! They are really good and pretty easy! You can make an apple muffin in a large mug, in the microwave! Delicious and easy! I recommend this book to anyone learning about gluten free and also someone who would like good information and good, easy recipes! If you found this review helpful, please click the YES for me! Thank you!
420 people found this helpful
on February 13, 2017
This book's "diet" is changing my life. Seriously. My doctor recommended it. I am on my third week. I'm a sugar addict so its really tough for me; but the weight loss around my belly and the absence of sugar fog is incredible!
145 people found this helpful
on September 2, 2011
I've been following Dr. Davis' heart scan blog for the past year, and have learned so much about how certain supplements can stop and even reverse plaque, high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes, and many other health problems. And he talked a lot about wheat, and the many ways it destroys your health. But I've been hesitant to go wheat free. I love warm bread with butter, cinnamon rolls, pizza, pasta, cake, pie, Ritz crackers, pretzels, and almost everything else made with wheat. So it wasn't easy to make the commitment to go without them.

I pre-ordered this book, and finally went wheat free one week before the book was released. And what a difference. My blood pressure had been averaging 140/88 (taking two blood pressure medications). Now, after only two weeks of wheat-free eating, I've averaged 124/68 for the past four days. I've reduced one of my medications to keep my blood pressure from dropping too low after it fell to 108/58. It's crazy! And I'm not starving myself. I'm getting plenty to eat.

So, why did I buy the book if I already knew what to do? Because this book goes into great detail about WHY wheat is a problem. If you're like me, you probably think of wheat as four-foot tall "amber waves of grain." But that's not what we are eating these days. It's an engineered version that's two feet tall, and is nothing like what I ate as a kid in the 1950s. And unfortunately, it raises your blood sugar higher than eating a candy bar. And if you don't think that's a problem then you need to learn more about how high blood sugar affects your health.

"I don't need this book, because there's no way I'm giving up my bagels and pizza," you say. That's fine---if you don't mind being fat, developing diabetes and high blood pressure and heart disease and a host of other health problems---which is what the typical American is doing these days.

Or, you could buy this book and learn how to live a healthier, and quite possibly longer, life.

Update (9-12-2011): I've now been wheat free for three weeks (as stated above, I went wheat free one week before the book was released), and I've lost 7 pounds. That may not sound like much of an accomplishment, until you consider:
- I am 6'4", and have been stuck at around 210 lbs. for over two years. I have not been able to lower my weight by dieting or exercise.
- 210 is only 20 pounds over my goal weight of 190. And everybody knows how difficult it is to lose those last 10 to 20 pounds---especially at my age (61).
- This is my lowest weight since 2002.
- I have not exercised for the past three weeks.
- Although I have eaten no wheat for three weeks, I have eaten a few candy bars and I've had Blue Bell No Sugar Ice Cream almost every night. (I don't recommend this---particularly the candy bars.)
- I have definitely been less hungry than when I was eating wheat.
- The hypoglycemia I've suffered with for many years has pretty much disappeared.
- I fully expect to be down to 190 lbs. within a few weeks. I haven't weighed 190 lbs. in over 25 years!

Update (11-25-2011): It's now been nearly three months since I went wheat-free, and I've lost 16 lbs., which is about 1.2 pounds per week. So you might think, "Hey, that's no big deal--you could have lost that much weight without really trying." But you'd wrong. Way wrong. As I stated before, I was stuck at 210 for over two years. Dieting and exercising did nothing to reduce my weight. I had hit a plateau and was going nowhere. Now, in just three months, I'm down another 16 lbs., to 194! I'm within four pounds of my goal weight!

And now for another confession: during the three months I have stayed wheat-free, BUT...I have eaten Mexican food at least once a week (sometimes twice), including a basket of (corn) tortilla chips, chicken (corn) enchiladas, etc., an occasional chocolate bar, and other carbohydrate splurges. Yet, in spite of all that, I still lost 16 lbs.! My body fat is now at 14%! It's crazy!

Also, it got a lot easier when I realized I could still have breads--without wheat, of course. I am loving almond flour. I bought the Blanched Almond Meal Flour, 5 lb. and have been using it to make pancakes, muffins, cobbler, :). And it tastes great! Here is the pancake recipe I use:

1 Cup almond flour
2 eggs
1/4 Cup water
2 Tablespoons oil (I use coconut oil)
1 Teaspoon baking powder (double acting)

Makes 6 4-inch pancakes. I top them with real butter (because remember: fat is okay--it's the carbs that are killing you) and Cary's Sugar Free Syrup, 24-Ounce (Pack of 4).
No sugar, low-carb, high-protein, and high-fiber. My wife and I each eat three pancakes and we are satisfied until lunch time.

With regular, wheat pancakes I used to eat six of them, and then an hour later I was falling asleep (after my blood sugar spiked and then dropped like a rock). But with these almond flour pancakes, I stay alert and feel good.

Dr. Davis has a great recipe for Pumpkin Spice Muffins in the book. The suggested topping is cream cheese, but I topped them with sugar-free cream cheese frosting. My nephews ate them like cupcakes. :)

So I've lost 16 lbs. in three months--WITHOUT EXERCISING! Wonder what will happen when I start hitting the weights and the exercise bike regularly? ;) I'm about to find out. Stay tuned...

Update (1-22-2012): It's now been five months since I went wheat-free, and I'm still going strong. I originally stated that my goal weight was 190. But my secret goal weight, the goal I didn't actually think I would ever achieve, was 185. Well, guess what? I am now at 188! I'm gonna make it! I'm down 22 pounds since August. And believe me, when you're 6'4", a weight of 188 allows for very little fat.

In 2004 I hit my highest weight: 238. Now I am down 50 lbs.! I was able to lose the first 28 pounds by cutting back on the calories, mostly by not eating out so much. But once I got down to 210, my weight loss stalled for four years. I just couldn't lose anymore. Then I went wheat free---which is not a diet, but a new way of eating, and the excess weight began to fall off.

I'm loving it! Thanks, Dr. Davis!

Update (1-29-12): I've talked a lot in this review about my weight loss, but that's only half the story. Seven years ago when I weighed 238, my triglyceride count was 300. I started to cut back on the eating out and the snacking, and began to take fish oil capsules. After a couple of years I was down to 215 and my triglycerides were 155. Then I doubled my fish oil intake and improved my eating habits a bit more. Two years later my triglycerides were down to 99, which is pretty good, and my weight was 210. That's where I plateaued.

The following year I experienced atrial fibrillation, followed by an angiogram and two stents. This was about the time I discovered Dr. Davis online and began following his blog. So I started taking Vitamin D and Magnesium. I couldn't bring myself to give up wheat, even after trying it for a week and losing five pounds.

Then, about a year later in August of 2011, I bought his "Wheat Belly" book as soon as it was released and I finally determined to go wheat-free. Since then my weight has gone from 210 to 188-my lowest weight in over 25 years. I recently had a yearly exam and my triglycerides were down from 99 to 69! Wow! Dr. Davis likes to see his patients at 60/60/60 for triglycerides/LDL/HDL. These are numbers that most doctors would think wildly unrealistic, if not impossible.

My HDL is still a little low at 39, but considering the fact that my HDL has been low for many years and at the time of my last yearly exam it was 26, that's pretty amazing. My LDL was 44! Yes, I know that LDL is a calculated value-but still-44! I will continue to improve my eating habits. I still eat too many carbs. But I know I'm headed in the right direction.

When I see people who are overweight, have heart problems, diabetes, and all the other problems that could easily be addressed by going wheat-free and taking a few supplements, I feel so bad for them. But perhaps as they see more and more of us having long-term success they will finally read this book...and believe.

Update (8-8-12): It has now been nearly a year since I went wheat free. Do I still miss wheat? Yes, but not enough to start eating it again. If I went back to wheat, I would lose these benefits:
- My weight dropped from 210 to 186 (I'm 6-foot-4). I lost most of that weight within the first three months.
- My triglycerides dropped from 99 to 70 and my HDL went up from a dangerous 26 to an incredible 57! And one of the best indicators of heart attacks is the ratio of triglycerides to HDL (google it). A good value is 2 or less, the ideal value is 1 or less. My number is pretty fantastic: 70/57 = 1.23. Before going wheat free it was: 99/26 = 3.8, which is very bad. It's no wonder I ended up with a 75% blockage, and had to have stents two years ago before I discovered Dr. Davis.
- My chronic sinus problems went away. Before I gave up wheat, every time I put my head on the pillow, my nose stopped up. I could not breathe through my nose at all. That does not make for good sleeping. Also, I used to get regular sinus infections---usually a couple of times per year. No more. My sinus issues cleared up almost immediately after going wheat free.

Will going wheat-free cure YOUR sinus problems. I have no idea. It might make your left knee quit aching or make your headaches go away. You won't know until you try it.

All I know is that I am a much healthier person thanks to Dr. Davis.
6,559 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on November 19, 2015
Wheat bloats you up! I cannot rave enough about how accurate this book is in regards to losing weight and improving your health. If you look at the difference in my size shown in the accompanying picture, you will realize that reducing your intake will also reduce your size. There are many health advantages beyond that. Dr. Davis truly has unlocked the key to America's obesity. Employ the techniques in this book to save yourself, your friends, and your family. Improve your life and get the body you always wanted!
review image
222 people found this helpful
on December 12, 2017
I'm 43 and have always considered myself in good shape (spin classes, eat well, occasionally have a glass or two of wine or a cocktail). For roughly 2 years I was experiencing excessive brain fog, tiredness (even after getting 10 hours of solid sleep), poor word retrieval, arthritis in my thumbs and hips, irritability, excessive weight gain (went from 108-123 in 12 mos which was totally unusual for me), developed vitiligo on my hands and my back, had droning headaches almost daily and general unhealthiness. I went to my GP and asked him to run every blood test and even went as far as to ask him for two brain scans (one that looks for Alzheimer's/Dementia as well as the one that detects strokes). My dermatologist ran thyroid tests because she assumed she'd find some sort of autoimmune dysfunction based on my vitiligo. All of the tests came back completely normal. However, I knew something was amiss because I felt that my health had completely derailed and was declining daily. I took things into my own hands and began researching Anti-Inflammatory disease and how to combat it. I came across Dr. Davis's book and couldn't put it down. June 30 2017 (5.5 mos ago) I cut out wheat and subsequently gluten entirely and have bounced back entirely, including losing 13 pounds without changing anything aside from cutting the wheat & gluten out. I barely need 7-8 hours of sleep and feel full of energy. It took about 3 weeks to begin feeling the effects and it just got better as the days went on. I cannot recommend this book enough for those of you who are looking to feel alive again! I have recommended this book to others and they are true believers now as well. Thank you Dr. Davis for your work here!!!
39 people found this helpful
on January 29, 2016
I've been living wheat free since the first Wheat Belly book came out. In the past year I had let some grains back into my diet. I followed the 10 day plan in this book to the letter....down one pant size and feel great! I'm back on the straight and narrow again....no grains, limited carbs, no sugar and this book gave me the momentum.
37 people found this helpful
on August 12, 2016
This is a must read book. Since going off wheat 2 months ago, I have lost 15 pounds, mostly in belly fat (wasn't markedly over weight to begin with but did have more belly fat than I wanted). I have been on insulin for 5 years. I was at 50 units and now I am at 15 units with a reasonable expectation of getting off insulin in the near future. A1C and lipid blood tests are the best in years. Last blood pressure was 117/70, haven't seen that in awhile. Cravings were a problem and now are minimal. Read the book.
23 people found this helpful
on February 13, 2016
The nutrition plan Dr. Davis outlines in this book is amazing. I just started it and can honestly say that with this "diet" nutrition plan, I never have to go hungry. I only allow myself to weigh once a week - right after Church on Sunday. (tomorrow is weigh in day again). The waist bands of my skirts and pants are fitting much better and I have more energy than I have in years. In 4 weeks I have lost 3 lbs. While the plan is different than most nutrition plans I am use to - it works! I drive a great deal - so when I know I may be driving for a while I pack a survival kit - some cheeses, some olives, and some raw nuts - almonds. All things recommended in this book.

A word of caution - On about my third day on this plan, I got some withdrawal symptoms - aches, low energy and depression. As soon as I increased my fluid intake - to flush toxins out of my system, all was good again.
13 people found this helpful
on October 7, 2015
This book changed my life. I was l Constanly struggling with my stomach and canker sores. The doctors kept telling me I was fine and I knew my body wasn't ok. Recently I found out about a gluten intolerance from my aunt (doctor in EU) The bloating, diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, canker sores all has disappeared days after I quit eating gluten. Now just looking at a piece of bread upsets my stomach because I known how damaging it is to my body.
review image
87 people found this helpful
on September 11, 2016
I had read up some and started diet 12 days before i got the book. I had done a lot of things right and after reading book understood some of the changes that were happening to me. It has been 41 days now and this is a life change for me. Down 16 lbs and feel much better.
13 people found this helpful