Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on February 28, 2006
I use to be a gourmet cook - until I learned I was gluten intolerant. The last two years have been spent learning how to be a gourmet cook AGAIN minus the wide variety of grains and thickeners that other cooks rely upon. This book offers great recipes to replace some of your "staple" items - like Teriyaki Sauce!! Who'd a guessed that soy sauce (which contains wheat) forms the basis of so many other sauces and flavorings?? Anyhow, that said, this cookbook is more than that - its an assist in survival after wheat. And it is excellent.
on September 12, 2004
The author of five previous gluten-free cookbooks, Carol Fenster's Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus: Delicious, Healthful Eating For People With Food Sensitivities is enhanced with helpful tips culled from her own gluten-free lifestyle and her past ten gluten-free years in the kitchen. Showcasing more than 250 recipes and more than 100 menus, Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus is standing proof that gluten intolerant people do not have to be deprived of breads, pizzas, cakes, muffins, cookies, casseroles, waffles, or sauces! From Fennel Bread; Asian Soba Noodles; Lentil Tabbouleh; Avocado Chile Sauce; and Mexican Beef Pie; to Pizza; Yellow Cake; Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole; Biscuits; Lasagne; and Wild Rice Pancakes with Pecans, Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus is a welcome and essential addition to any gluten-free cookbook collection where all members of the family can experience wonderful wheat-free dining for all mealtime occasions.
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2006
The recipes are really easy and many of them will give you "comfort foods" that you will really miss otherwise. When I went off wheat, I *yearned* for biscuits and pancakes and brownies and muffins, and this book gave them back to me! Many of these recipes are so delicious that we still use them today, even though our family sometimes incorporates wheat into our diet. Highly recommended!
on March 6, 2007
This is the best gluten free cookbook I've found, and I've tried a number of them since I was diagnosed gluten intolerant 4 years ago. I had about given up thinking I'd ever enjoy bread the way I used to, but I have been truly amazed by every item I've made from Carol Fenster's book. Even my husband, who can eat wheat, loves these breads! I am a naturopathic doctor, and see many patients who are gluten intolerant; I recommend this book to all of them! If you are feeling overwhelmed by a restricted diet, this book will bring back the joy of eating! Try the French bread first; it's easy, quick and it will restore your faith. Note: I have always used the sorghum-corn flour blend, so that's what I base this review on.
on June 25, 2009
This is an excellent source for gluten free recipes and menus.
I bought the it specifically for the menus and I like them a lot.
I do wish there were more vegetarian menus. I have the same complaint of all of Carol Fenster's books.
One complaint I personally have, I'm not a big fan of cilantro and found this to be a major ingredient in many of these recipes, it would be nice if there was an alternative herb to use in place of it. I've found that cilantro is one of those things that people either love or hate.
on March 22, 2007
As we have traveled the gluten-free cooking road we have found a lot of recipes that get rave reviews that I have decided are made by those who don't know what good food tastes like. This cookbook, however, has wonderful recipes for bread, brownies, etc. The sandwich bread is especially good, we add flax meal to it to add fiber. My children love it.
on August 1, 2008
The recipes are very good but I had a lot of trouble finding some of the ingredients she used. We went to trader joes and whole foods and still could not find a few of the items. It's a good book to help convert someone to a wheat-free diet, especially someone who loves all things wheat. My husband gave up the diet after a few weeks but I still have the cookbook and use it occasionally. Some of the ideas are great.
on May 27, 2007
Wow, I feel like I have been living in the dark ages until I learned about all these wonderful methods and products to prepare gluten -free foods!!!

This info is a tremendous eye-opener!

Thank you so much and I hope to see more books on this topic!

Keep up the great work Carol Fenster! ...you ROCK!

PS: We would also love to see some healthier sweetening options presented, other than white sugar...
on January 30, 2013
There are some good recipes in this book for gluten and wheat free dieters, but they use a lot of the 'wasted carb' substitutes. I've only found a couple of recipes I would use, but for the most part this book will likely sit on the shelf. It would be fine for a person with Celiac's Disease and they don't worry about weight gain, or if you are simply interested in avoiding wheat and gluten in your diet, but don't expect to keep the pounds off using these recipes unless you intend to find 'appropriate' flour substitutes like almond meal and flaxseed to replace the brown rice and fatty mixes used in this book.
on August 16, 2006
I was really looking forward to this book and thought the recipes sounded great and then I began to test them, several were so bad I just tossed in the garbage because I couldn't eat it. I found very few recipes I really liked. I am so upset because I only have one Gluten free cookbook and this was it.