Lyft BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 26, 2013
I have read a few books by Ms. Graves and each one has been enjoyable. Of course, I happened to read them in the wrong order, but I will tell you this.... Each book is a stand alone story of its own.

In Hot Wheels and High Heels, we are exposed to a story about choices. Darcy was a trophy wife to a wealthy man, that is, until his criminal abilities left her in a situation that could put any person on edge. Faced with challenges as well as basically starting over again, she has to choose from two totally different ends of the spectrum... be a kept woman to a wealthy man or be a loved and desired woman to a working-class stiff. Basically, it is a story about tapping the inner strength a person never knew they had. When it comes down to John, it is a story about finding out what love is all about.

Very well written. Brought a smile to my face for some parts as well as tears. The only part that made this book just shy from perfection in my eyes was the ending. There were still things that offered no closure. Of course, one can assume how things end up, but it would have been far nicer to have the ending offering a solid conclusion. Call it "wrapped up in a pretty bow", but I felt it needed it.

Definitely recommendable to a friend and worthy of being read again in the future.
on April 23, 2012
I loved many of this author's other works and had high hopes for this one but it didn't work for me. I enjoy books where the protagonists are a bit older (40s) but I found the heroine annoying and generally unlikeable. I kept telling myself that her character arc was going to somehow make her likable but all I felt at the end of the book was relief that I didn't have to read about her any more. I liked the hero a bit better but I never felt that I "knew" him and thus had trouble empathizing with him. Nor did I see him evolve in any way and by the end I only felt indifference. Also, the first half of the book was really slow to take off. I only persevered because I think Jane Graves' stories are great and I kept hoping it would improve. It did at the halfway mark, but with any other author I would have closed it and never picked it up again. Unfortunately, I would recommend passing on this one.
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2009
When Darcy McDaniel's wealthy husband pulls a disappearing act she may not be heartbroken but she is most definately broke...flat broke. Facing her 40th birthday is bad enough; facing it without Botox is unthinkable. What Darcy needs is to find another rich man - fast. Ex-cop (and current repo man) John Stark is only interested in Darcy for one thing - her beloved Mercedes Roadster. John may be many things (tall, handsome, sexy)but rich - far from it. Can a designer-label wearing ex-beauty queen find true love with a blue-collar working guy? Even more importantly, can she survive shopping for new clothes at (gasp!!) Walmart??

This is my first Jane Graves book and I loved it. I enjoyed watching Darcy's journey from superficial trophy wife to self-sufficient (albeit reluctant) working woman. John and Darcy have loads of chemistry; the dialogue is sharp and funny and the characters are not cookie-cutter romance novel leads. I can't wait to read the follow-up to this book - "Tall Tales and Wedding Veils".
on April 30, 2008
I cannot recap this book any better than Mel for he hit it right on the head. I picked this book up cause I'm out of good light reads waiting for Crusie. Just beware of having nothing on your agenda for the day when you start to read this one. You fly thru the story anticipating what Darcy will do next.

This is my first Jane Graves book and will not be my last. Her character developement of Darcy from needy to the strength and determination when she decided she wanted to be a repo man herself. her courage to overcome everything in her path. It was also great to see how Darcy changed/soften Johns character. Loved the secondary characters in this book and really would like to read about the billionaire and his bodyguard.

This book is a perfect beach or lay about the pool book. One think Darcy has is spunk for what she did to the repo man. lol
on September 12, 2007
I have been a fan of Jane Graves book ever since I picked up "I Got You, Babe". She never disappoints me so far.

"Hot Wheels and High Heels" tells a story about a trophy wife, Darcy McDaniel, who finds out her husband has sold their house, stolen money from his boss, and ran out of the country. After being married to him for fourteen years, nearly-40-year-old Darcy finds herself must readjust her lifestyle. FAST. Especially since her only possession, her Mercedez, is now being repossessed by one of the most infuriating man she ever met. John Stark, is an ex-cop turns repo agent. At 42, he is a man in control of his life - his no non sense attitude is what makes him good.

The spark between John and Darcy is right there from the beginning. This story is charming, full of wit and enjoyable situation that guarantees to at least make you smile broadly (if not chuckling in delight). It is such a fun read - and I haven't been this entertained with romance genre for quite awhile.

One thing I love is that in this story, the hero-heroine in their 40's - which is like "a breathe of fresh air" for me, in category in which usually the heroine is like under 25 and the hero is in his 30's. Though I'm only 28 myself, I'd live to read more mature relationship sometimes.

I can't wait to read "Tall Tales and Wedding Veils", a sequel of this book that will feature John's employee, Tony. He is such a delight in this book, it'll be great reading his story. Plus, the first chapter seems VERY promising :)
on January 2, 2016
Love the author. He stories all reel me in and make me not want to put the book down. It was a good easy read.
on February 7, 2016
Not my favorite romance, but definitely a fun, sappy read!
on November 22, 2013
This book had me from the first, Darcy is funny and convincingly insecure and John is HAWT! I am immediately getting Tall Tales, that's how much I now love this author.
on October 5, 2013
I really love Jane Graves. She makes you laugh and sometimes cry. I love the story line and the characters. I also love how the characters are connected with other books.
on January 3, 2013
I was told the Jane Graves books were similar to Janet Evanovich series. I didn't find the book funny, but it was a fun and entertaining read, and I will definitely purchase more of the author's books.