Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 223 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 268 reviews
on March 16, 2013
I read a number of reviews before deciding to give this a try. Looking for something fun to play with with my 2+ year old. I know it is a little old for him but figured I could have some fun too.

Assembly was a little more involved than any track set I remember. Tracks are a little more flimsy than anything I remember 30+ years ago - guess that is "progress".

As others mention - it only comes with 1 car - and it is a disappointingly poor quality one at that. It did not work very well at any point.

Being a little thrifty I decided to run it with 10,000mah NiMH rechargable D cells. Though aware they only put out 1.2volts. Ended up insufficient to really get the cars moving and only a few of the ones I tried went around the loop.
So as a DIYer I ran 6volts and 6amps from my full sized car charger - more than enough power though not more than the 6 volts it would normally get from batteries. So it spins the cars at a good pace. Not many cars I tried stay on the track. only 3 of the rally style cars I found work best - they will stay on the track for 3 or 4 laps but ultimately they get stuck in the release chute from the loop. Just a poor design.

I get the impression the people at hotwheels have not spent a whole lot of time with one of these on the boardroom table using it. Because they would not in good conscience have released it as is.

As for my son - he lost interest in a matter of minutes - cannot say I blame him. I would hate to be trying to keep this thing supplied with D Cell batteries and continually recovering cars that crash because of the track - not the crash zones.

Feel like returning but perhaps I will put it aside and maybe in a few years it will be of more interest. Unlike sets I used as a kid - this set is not durable, functional, or adaptable to be used with other track layouts. Bit of a disappointment really! (I may add some video shortly)
on February 13, 2015
This was a lot of fun for boys age 4 to, apparently, age 40 ! Just a few minutes to assemble, pretty clear.
Reviews say it's loud because it is kinda Loud ! Doesn't make you want to shut it off, but after a 15 - 20 minute play and you shut it down, the silence from the motor noise is definitely welcome.

Two things I would've done differently, had it been me designing it (which it wasn't) - use AC current instead of D cell batteries. Seems a simple thing. I'm sure they had their reasons, though.

The second is even from the lightweight car set i bought to go with this (since older heavier Hot Wheels apparently don't work well on this) - not even all of those worked well on the track. A more powerful motor to propel even heavier cars might've been a good idea, with some track re-design as needed to allow for the faster pace on the track.

Still enough cars did work, and the D cells held out well enough that it's a pretty fun toy.
on February 28, 2015
Got this as a birthday gift for my son and he has been playing with it for days now. I bought a pack of 28 hot wheel cars as only one car comes with it, so my son has Mustang-only races, Mustangs vs. Camaros, Mustangs vs. Stingrays, etc. The races typically don't last more than once or twice around the track as the cars move too fast and fly off, but he enjoys that as well. Takes 4 D cells and despite the other reviews here, he has gotten at least 12 hours use out of them. I tell him to shut it off when he's not using it. Yes it is noisy when operating but not excessively so.

The track is plastic and probably won't last too long but so far he has been careful with it and gotten enjoyment out of putting it together as well as racing. One of the supports has already begun to be a loose fit so I deducted one star as the manufacturer could have made the pieces a bit more substantial.
on February 7, 2016
We got this set for our son when he was 3 years old and didn't pay attention to the age recommendation. I wish we had, because it is definitely not an appropriate toy for a 3 year old as there are rubber bands that move extremely fast to make the cars go, and it could hurt a small child. It is really nice, though, so we saved it and he is able to play with it now, but he still can't play with it around his younger siblings. If you have smaller children in the house, this would not be safe around them, but it is great for the recommended age and my son now has fun with it!
on March 20, 2013
You see the picture. It has bright colors and loops. You think your kids are gonna love it. You buy it. They play with it for about ummm, maybe 2 hours. May they come back to it every now and then, but it's definitely not the highlight of their day.

Straight to the cons - Only certain cars in the hot wheels universe work with this. Using my kids words "that just sucks". They have a large inventory of cars and would love to seem them run through this, but if the cars heavy, it won't work. From my perspective, it's another ploy to get you to buy "special cars".

Another con - this damn thing makes a repeated "clack clack clack" noise that will drive anyone over the age of 30 nuts!!! It's the engine that pushes the car around. I don't care. It's noisy. Cars used to be noisy. Then we canned the model-T. Fix this hot wheels.

Lastly, kids put their hands in to things. They just do. These cars fly out of this thing at damn near 15MPH (estimating). It's a projectile coming out of the shhot. Projectile + kiddie finger = big ouch.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
I am pretty meticulous at setting up these types of toys, but I would not recommend this toy. The car doesn't make it around the track more than once without falling out because of lack of speed. Getting it out of the starting chute requires cat like reflexes; if you miss the car just slams into the gate you need to open in a millisecond.

If I hadn't already destroyed the box (actually the child did) I would return it.

Lastly it only comes with 1 car and I have 80 other cars, none of which fit.
on November 15, 2013
My 3yr old son is possessed by hot wheels cars - he probably has 300 of them (we used them as a reward in potty training). He spent about 5 minutes with this somewhat noisy, 4 D cell killing machine. We revisit it every few days for another minute or two of excitement or to watch me change batteries. The track works better than most, but as the batteries die out (in just a few minutes), the cars fail to make it all the way around the track, or get stuck somewhere.

As stated, it's better than most other tracks like this, but if there was an AC power potion - it would be much better. The track isn't all that portable, so plugging it into a wall wart power supply would really make sense.
on January 9, 2015
IF I COULD GIVE THIS 0 STARS I WOULD. We have had 2 of this track set. The first set broke within a few minutes of using it. The spring on the loop quit working so it was stuck in a constant loop with no way to set it on the track. We got another set, and now this one won't work AT ALL. Even with brand new batteries, the motor is dead. I would dissuade anyone from purchasing this track for the amount of money that it sells for. It's really a piece of junk. I've contacted Mattel to try to get a refund.

And, my little boy was rather sad that Santa brought him a broken toy for Christmas. :(
on February 12, 2015
I bought this for my 10 y.o. daughter who is crazy about hot wheels. She wanted to put it together by herself, but was not able to do it. She claimed that there were pieces missing that should have been included. I thought surely she just needed my help, but NOOOOO. When I sat down to help, I learned that yes, there were about a half dozen pieces missing, rendering this toy a giant waste of time and money. I am guessing that it would have been a lot of fun if all of the parts had been included, but we will never know. We are both very disappointed.
on September 23, 2017
My grandson are enjoying the track

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.