Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 257 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 339 reviews
on February 24, 2017
I really enjoy the Whiskey Creek series, but I had missed a few of the early ones, so I decided to go back and catch up.
This book has everything I love about the series: Interesting characters, Strong Friendships, Love, Romance, and strong family connections. Cheyenne and Dylan had difficult lives, but neither let their past define them. Despite his reputation, Dylan was a good person, and I was happy that, though wary, Cheyenne's friends gave him a chance to prove himself. Cheyenne is a good and loyal friend and sister, despite everything.
I really enjoy Brenda Novak's writing style and character development. She grabs you from the first chapter and keeps you reading until the last sentence, when and leaves you wishing you lived in Whiskey Creek!
on February 28, 2017
When winter comes to Whiskey Creek and the snow begins to fall Cheyenne starts remembering the dreams of a nice woman that she looks like and she herself has a pretty dress and pretty shoes. But just n reality she had a terrible childhood and an even more rotten mother!
While all her friends are on a cruise over the Christmas holidays she meets a man named Dylan. He doesn't have a very good reputation in Whiskey Creek but he sure is sexy (that's my opinion)! Find out what happens!
I love Brenda's books because the endings always leave my heart warm! This series is very good! I highly recommend them!!
on February 27, 2016
When Snow Falls by Brenda Novak was one of those books you can feel good after you have finished the whole thing. You have your bad boy and down and the out girl who find happiness with each other. Add in concerned friends, dying mother, drug addict sister, bad boys' brothers and a deep secret and you have the makings of a good read.
Cheyenne has always felt she belonged with another family and something was wrong with her life, but her mother would never answer or dismissed it. While she was young they moved around alot. They finally ended up staying long enough in one place that she had friends and fell for one of the guys who was 'on the other side of the tracks.'
But through an accident meeting, she became involved with the 'bad boy' of town and realized people aren't always what you are told they are. Events throughout the story brings the two together, much to her friends dismay. Especially as they are on a cruise and can't be there to intervene.
This story shows that what others opinions are aren't what they seems. Look underneath the exterior and find the real person.
I recommend this book to anyone who loves a love story and redemption. It is one that you don't want to put down. The twists keep you guessing and looking forward to seeing what happens next.
on July 6, 2016
After growing up in cheap motels, moving from town to town with her sister and mother, Cheyenne Christensen is grateful to be on her own. She's grateful, too, for the friends she found once her family settled in California. But she's troubled by the mystery of her earliest memories, most of which feature a smiling blonde woman. A woman who isn't her mother. Things get even more complicated when her closest friend is attracted to the man Cheyenne has secretly loved for years. For Eve's sake, she decides to step aside—which lands her right in the arms of Dylan Amos, oldest and baddest of the hell-raising Amos brothers. But…maybe there's more to Dylan than she thought. Maybe letting him go would be a bigger mistake.

I love Cheyenne. She has had to be so strong for herself and her older sister. She has crushed on Joe since she was a teenager, but never admitted those feelings to anyone. She believes her chance at love and happiness are lost now that her best friend has decided she likes Joe. Dylan has been judged by the people in town for the actions of his past, his parents, and his brothers. Dylan has been through so much and given up even more. He prays Cheyenne can ignore the town gossip and get to know him and not believe the rumors. Add in the continuing dreams of a different life, her mother's cancer, and problems with her sister, this Christmas season is extremely stressful for Cheyenne.
on June 5, 2016
Cheyenne and her sister Presley haven't had an easy life. Their mom has dragged them from one town to the next since they were little. They came to Whiskey Creek when they were teens and only stayed because their mom was diagnosed with cancer.

Cheyenne has crushed on her friend Gail's brother Joe since she first came to town. Then their is Dylan Amos. Having grown up the way she did and finally being able to settle down somewhere and have a respectable reputation, she didn't think it was in her best interest to get involved worth him given his reputation as a drug-addicted, womanizing trouble-maker. Should she go for the man who was well-liked and guaranteed to be a great family man? Or should she go for what she really wanted, risking not only her heart but her friends and her reputation?

In the beginning of the book I was torn on who I wanted her to choose. By the middle of the book I was decided 100%. There were so many different things going on within this book that I couldn't put it down. This whole series is absolutely fantastic! I actually started reading this series at book 5 and I'm so hooked that I am now going back and starting at the beginning.
on December 28, 2015
It was hard to feel hope or anticipation for the heroine Chey. She would not let herself follow her feelings for Joe or Dylan which was frustrating to read. She admired and desired Joe most of her life but never let him know and never told her best friend Eve. When Eve said she desired Joe, Chey did everything she could to help Eve. Chey continued hiding her desire for Joe. When Joe asked Chey out, she would not go.

Then Chey and Dylan meet and it’s lust and addiction for each other. But Chey insults him and stays away because she knows her friends won’t approve of him. She goes back and forth several times with Dylan because of lust and hurts him because she won’t be seen with him.

I like the author’s thoughtfulness. She brings more depth to these romance stories which I like. I was surprised that Dylan quit smoking right after his first encounter with Chey. Even though they weren’t a couple, he wanted to improve himself for her. Dylan’s father went to jail when he was 18. Dylan dropped out of school to work to support his three younger brothers. He could have run off but he chose to be responsible to keep his brothers out of foster care. I love the idea that Dylan grew up with an abusive father and no one loving him, yet he overcame that and was responsible and loving to his younger brothers (and his wife and future children). He improved himself to rise above his circumstances. That’s a good story.

Secondary story:
Evil mother Anita kidnapped Chey when she was six. Anita’s biological daughter Presley knows about it but hides it from Chey. Presley fears she will lose Chey as a sister if Chey learns the truth. Chey has vague memories of her life prior to the kidnapping which Anita denies and claims is a dream. Good stories need bad guys and conflict, but Presley being bad depressed me. If the mother forced Presley to keep the secret I’d feel better about it. But the author made Presley evil on her own - keeping that secret from Chey. Presley loved Chey but her actions were not that of a loving sister.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 446 pages. Swearing language: moderate including religious swear words but rarely used. Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: 3 plus 2 referred to with no details. Setting: current day small town Whiskey Creek, California. Copyright: 2012. Genre: contemporary romance.

------------------------------------------------
THE SERIES:
This is book #2 in the Whiskey Creek series. Each book can be read as a stand alone, but there is a flow of characters through the books which makes it nice if read in order. Here are my ratings for them.

My Favorites (4 ½ or more stars):
#0.5 When We Touch - 102 page novella
#1 When Lightning Strikes
#5 Take Me Home For Christmas
#8 This Heart of Mine

2nd choice (3 ½ stars):
#9 A Winter Wedding
#2 When Snow Falls - It was hard to feel hope or anticipation. Chey would not allow herself to act on her feelings. She kept her feelings “secret” for most of the book.

3rd choice:
The main plot was one character keeping a “secret” for most of the book. I did not enjoy the lies. In some stories I did not like the reasons for keeping the secret.
2 ½ stars. #3 When Summer Comes
2 stars. #4 Home to Whiskey Creek
2 ½ stars. #6 Come Home to Me - secret baby
3 stars. #7 The Heart of Christmas - Hero is on the run from bad guys. When heroine asked questions he could have answered in generic terms but he was silent. That didn’t feel right to me.
on December 19, 2015
When I first started reading this book, it seemed so dark and sad, but I'm so glad I kept on reading! Although parts of the book were very serious, dealing with addiction, abuse, cancer, and even a kidnapping! But this book is mostly about Cheyenne, a young woman whose life, up until this point, was extremely hard and full of disappointments. And there was her memory of herself on a party dress with a beautiful blond woman, who in no way resembled her mother, Anita. Anita is dying of cancer, and since her sister Presley is unreliable and high most of the time, it falls on Cheyenne's shoulders to care for Anita, even though she treats her with such disdain. While her friends are on a cruise, Cheyenne has s chance encounter with Dylan Amos, who, a,one with his brothers, has a reputation of being dangerous. But as Cheyenne gets to know him, she realizes that beneath that tough exterior is a tender, thoughtful man. Is she willing to give up Joe, who she has loved since she was 14 to take a chance with Dylan? This book got better the further along I got into the story, and I'm so glad I kept going, because after a while I couldn't put it down!
on April 16, 2015
My Musings
I decided to read this second book in the Whiskey Creek Series because it was on sale, and I could get the audio for a very reasonable price. When Lightning Strikes was a mixed bag for me, so I did hesitate for a moment before downloading this next one in the series, but I love Brenda Novak’s historicals and thought I would give this series another chance. One thing I know about her books—expect the unexpected!

Cheyenne Christensen has a memory of herself as a very young child, in a pretty party dress and shiny black shoes in a room full of toys, but that memory has no place in the reality of her life. Her mother has dragged her and her sister from place to place until they end up in Whiskey Creek when her mother develops cancer.

Her mother beats cancer the first time, but now it is back and most of her care falls on Cheyenne’s shoulders since her sister is always partying, using drugs and associating with unsavory characters of the male variety.

Cheyenne longs for stability and peace, of which she has had little, and wants to find out why she has that nagging memory. No matter how many times she tries to talk to her mom about it, she never gets any answers and now it is almost too late.

To add to her confusion, the man she has crushed on since high school is showing interest, a man that will give her the stability she craves. There is one problem though; she is too attracted to bad boy, Dylan. What should she do? Choose the security Joe has to offer, or follow her heart and choose Dylan, a man with a less than stellar past?

There is a great deal to love about When Snows Falls. Ms. Novak does an amazing job in bringing me in and getting me fully vested in the story from the first page, but some of what happens in this book was uncomfortable. However, I could not put this one down and read/listened practically non-stop from beginning to end. It is such a compelling story that I had to keep reading to find out what direction it would take.

This is not a light-hearted read. There are lots of mixed up emotions for both the hero and the heroine. The plot is extremely complicated since it involves a love triangle for Cheyenne and Dylan with Joe thrown into the mix. In the beginning, the book seemed very straight forward. Girl from the wrong part of town with a totally mixed up family and the boy next door, a good ‘Joe’, no pun intended—I wonder if Ms. Novak chose that character’s name on purpose—fall in love and live ‘happily ever after’. However, that is not the case!

This is a messy love story with a confused, very immature heroine and a hero with a great deal of baggage as well. I could really get why Cheyenne wants to have a man to love who is stable and reliable, everything she has never had in her life. Joe represents respectability and acceptance. Dylan, on the other hand, will give her the exact opposite, or so she thinks, at least when they first come together.

This story kept me guessing which man she would choose throughout much of the book. I think that is what makes it such a fascinating read. At times I wanted to throw my Kindle against the wall and at other times, hug it close at the decisions Cheyenne makes. It is definitely a rollercoaster ride to say the least.

I do want to mention, I listened to the audio version narrated by Tara Sands. While Ms. Sands read with a great deal of expressions and I could easily distinguish between the character's, her voice tone made the females sound more like teenagers than mature women. That could have contributed to my feelings that Cheyenne came across as very immature.

I could go on and on about the complexity of the story and the characters, but I do not want to give anything away, so I will just say, this is a book you will want to read, if you enjoy flawed characters with deep-seated self-esteem issues, learning to cope and come to together in spite of all that is stacked against them. I suggest you give it a try. Happy reading!
on November 14, 2014
This book had me on the edge of my seat. Cheyenne is the main character in the book and she has a pretty rough life. She has an abusive, alcoholic mother and a sister that is strung out. She also has a feeling that her mother isn't really her mother. In the mean time, she has two very different men pining for her and she doesn't know which way to go. One is the sure, safe bet and the other is a very risky and not someone her friends would approve of. In the beginning of the book I was cheering for her to be with her friend's brother and groaning when she does something that is completely out of character for her. Then once Dylan came into the picture and we got to know him, I was totally cheering for him. He was definitely the underdog that deserved a happy ending. He was there for Cheyenne through all of the nightmares that she has throughout the book and is a true knight in shining armor.

Brenda has a way of writing that makes you think that you are part of the story. You go through all the emotions that the character is going through. She has a way of making me laugh out loud in one chapter and have tears the next chapter, because my heart is breaking for one of the characters.

If you haven't read a Brenda Novak book, I highly recommend that you get started!
on January 8, 2016
*Spoilers ahead*
I really like this series, and this book in particular. The writing and editing were good (a rarity these days), and the chemistry between the two protagonists was great. While I (notionally) wish Joe every happiness (and hope the author features him in a future book), it was nice to see Dylan get the girl in the end. My two complaints: I doubt a guy like Dylan would become so chummy with this somewhat silly clique (evidenced more in future books, but it's here, too), and it's INSANE that the ENTIRE group knows graphic details of all members' sex lives (well, with the exception of Baxter). No thanks. But the clique's characters are likeable and it will be nice to see them each get their own HEA.