Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 234 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 267 reviews
on February 7, 2016
The beginning of this book is about how it's worked for many people and why it'll work for you too. About 10% of this book is useful information. The other 90% are "success stories" that the author uses to solidify his methods. Most of them seem fabricated or drastically exaggerated. You'll start off a chapter with some information you can relate with. Then it dives into a story about how Burns met with a client, diagnosed them, used a therapeutic technique, and observed the miraculous reflection of instantaneous relief of anxiety in their face. The techniques may be good, but I just can't get by the other nonsense. This book was not for me but may work for others.
on April 24, 2016
This man is a genius! and I am so grateful i found this gem. I was suffering from severe anxiety and this book along with my own bravery and determination helped me put an end to the distorted reality I was living in. This isn't a overnight success book though it will work only if you put in the time and effort needed to achieve success. Good luck!
on September 3, 2016
Lots of great advice for managing anxiety. Almost a little overwhelming with the number of approaches, but the appendix give advice on how to choose options that may be the most helpful. It is geared towards the general public reader - you don't need a background in counseling or psychology to understand it.
on January 19, 2016
That book saved my life :) Just the first chapter helped me more than therapy sessions and pills ... If you have anxiety, panic attacks, depression, read that book !
I would recommend too meditation, using the app headspace too !
on March 15, 2015
David Burns is one of the pioneers of CBT, cognitive behavioral therapy. It was suggested I read Feeling Good, but I happened to start When Panic Attacks first. Dr. Burns made the book easy to understand and explains why most people do not need antidepressants and gives many exercises to, help manage anxiety and depression. Some patients with serious mental illnesses may needs medication, but their lives can greatly be helped by this amazing book. I have followed psychology for years and understand it as a layperson fairly well. But When Panic Attacks was complete, I learned so much more about myself and how to work through my anxieties.
on April 13, 2017
This book is my go to book...during my time of hyper anxiety. I now recommend this to anyone with whom I come in contact, who is experiencing anxiety and panic attacks. It thoroughly walks the reader through understanding anxiety, and how it develops, and how it can become a crippling condition, which nearly happened to me several years ago, when I read it. You will also learn how to recognize your triggers, and learn better ways of perceiving reality, and reduce, and even eliminate, anxiety and/panic attacks. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for real help with learning how to change their perceptions of their lives, and the people in them. These, I learned, are the real reasons for anxiety and depression for most people. By the way, He also wrote a book on depression which I read before this one. Really awesome.
on January 12, 2015
One of my patients actually bought this book before I did -- he was already reading it when he was referred to me to assist him with panic disorder. Panic Disorder is one of the more easily resolved mental health problems a person can have. Usually, once they understand that panic arises from one of the bodies most useful processes -- the fight, flight, or freeze reflex needed to save our lives when we are in a dangerous situation -- they are already halfway to a cure. This reflex becomes a disorder when one misinterprets something in the environment, or a bodily sensation, as being dangerous or potentially deadly. That "thing" could be a little flip-flop of the heart, or low blood sugar.

The misinterpretation of the event causes the body to go into action sending more blood to major muscle groups so one can either run away really fast from the danger, provide the strength needed to fight the threat, or the ability to freeze so maybe you won't be noticed. However, when there is really no threat, what goes on in the body to prepare one to run fast, punch harder, etc., -- increased heart rate, faster breathing, etc. -- can be misinterpreted as "I'm dying" or "I'm going to pass out". If one is in a public space, the thought of passing out in front of strangers just increases the panic.

As the fear of panic attacks in public spaces grows, the person may become more avoidant until, one day, s/he decides it's better to just stay home. Now, it's diagnosable as a Panic Disorder. Eventually, s/he avoids going out at all.

So, the disorder is based on a phantom -- fear. Dr. Burns' book explains all this and more... and provides useful exercises for curing the disorder. Bonus? The cost of this book is probably less than one copay to see a qualified psychotherapist!
on March 17, 2012
I am finding the techniques and the overall concept of CBT to be very effective. I also find Dr. Burn's writing to be remarkably down-to-earth and even humorous at times; I really appreciate that! I found this book to be full of insightful information, the only improvement I find is with better organization of the book and a more detailed framework that connected the many, MANY techniques. It comes across to me as about 40+ techniques and models and exercises, but I'm left swimming in information and a lot of it was not connected together in an effective mental model.

An example: one chapter I'm reading about the Daily Mood log, then about Self Defeating Beliefs, and the next on how to modify them, followed by many, many chapters on techniques that are designed to eliminate anxiety. I'm GUESSING those 40+ techniques are used to modify the Self Defeating Beliefs. But then in the modifying beliefs chapter, it went over a bunch of mini-techniques that were not the same as the 40+ techniques. But I thought that's what the Daily Mood Log was for?! I just find myself scattered and confused, and I think that could have been easily avoided.

Regardless, I'm finding the daily mood log to be effective.
on July 23, 2013
I struggled with Anxiety throughout my life and after a few years of therapy, I could still not get it under control. Last year I finally decided to see a Psychiatrist (very much against my gut feeling), when my panick attacks were getting more and more frequent (once a week, at least). It took me trying out six different pills to realize that medication is definitely not for me: I had never felt so incredibly sick in my life, more depressed, some gave me strong headackes, I felt like a zombie, and the withdrawn from one of them made me feel suicidal and in a constant feeling of panic. I know...the usual with these things, right? And they are supposed to help with Anxiety...

Anyways, my Psychologist recommended this author, and this book changed my life. There really is hope to overcome Anxiety without medication. (Although as the author mentions, not all cases are the same, and for some "more serious cases", sometimes medication is necessary, but you'll read all about that.) It made me feel so comforted and safe to know that I'm not the only one who thinks and feels this way, when he describes episodes that exactly resembled my experience. I learned actual written exercises to practice and do regularly until almost all my sumptoms were gone. I still go to therapy to keep working on the deep stuff, but now I can deal with Anxiety on my own, no pills, and I have not had a full-blown panick attack since I finished reading this book. Seriously. I have recommended it to many many people.

Now, there is no such thing as a "miracle cure" for anything!! Especially for any mental health issues! You have to do the work. The amount of relief you can take out is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put into the treatment, and this is strongly emphisezed by the author. One can really get better without medication, and this book presents provable facts that will blow your mind. Dr. Burns is a Psychiatrist, and he used to prescribe pills to his patients, so I believe that he knows what he's talking about.

If you're serious about getting better, and ONLY if you are committed to recovering once and for all, YOU HAVE TO DO THE WORK that Dr. Burns teaches. He says, "if I had a button right here that if you press it, it would make all your anxiety go away, would you press it?" (Wink, wink).

This book really feels like a win-win situation, you can get all the benefits advertised by many of those pills, but without the awful side effects, long and short term, plus the tools you'll need in the future for many life situations! Wouldn't you want to attack this -almost disabling- "disease" from the root?, instead of masking it with chemicals that poison your body and often times don't even begin to alleviate your symptoms. This book will educate you about the problem, and that knowledge will be one of the most valuable tools you'll end up with after finishing the book. It will set you free. Excellent book. Done.
on January 23, 2016
The first part of the book is good, showing you how to stop fear from controlling your life. It's obvious that he has never delt with depression and anxiety attacks himself. Some of us do need medication to help live our lives. No matter what he thinks