Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on June 27, 2010
I have read a couple titles from the Process Self-reliance Series, and they were impressive. However, after reading this one cover-to-cover ... it was a disappointment. I wouldn't go as far to say it wasn't helpful ... just not as much as a I expected. After I read this book, I purchased "Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid" by Paul Auerbach ... and that book was REALLY GOOD. It contained a lot more of what I was expecting from this book (i.e. practical instructions for advanced medical aid). What was helpful from this book was comprehensive info on preventive measures for disaster scenarios, and a pretty comprehensive list for medical supplies to have in a well-stocked first aid kit (based on the author's years of experience in the ER).
11 comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 23, 2013
I bought this book expecting to find some useful information about handling medical emergencies when there is no doctor around. Boy what a mistake that was! There is about three pages of useful information in this book, a couple of useful checklists and a recommendation to take a first aid class at the Red Cross. Gee, Thanks. Other than that, it's is a bunk of general information and observations that any junior high school kid could have written of the top of his/her head for a health class assignment. Please don't waste your money!!
on May 15, 2014
Almost all preventative, which is good, but was hoping for a bit more "emergency healthcare". Not a lot of specifics on what to do after prevention doesn't work, that don't seem obvious to me. Fever - rest, Tylenol (duh). Pretty basic self-health care, good info if you currently run to the dr at the first sign of diarrhea, but me I change my diet and maybe take some meds...
on May 26, 2010
When there is no doctor is a very good overview of austere and disaster medicine preparation, it is not however a how to manual. Nor is it one you would read after grid crash. It is a book that the intent is to point you in the right directions do learn and read more and to get supplies together. Of unusual content is the fact that the book touches on veterinary medicine post grid crash. I would highly recommend that everyone read this book.
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 6, 2017
Wast of money barely even touched on medicine or first aid mostly talked about Global warming 😏🙄 Please I payed for a first aid book not some crappys Authers Opinion on global problems don't buy this book
on March 16, 2012
This is not a survival manual but it is a level headed, realistic and balanced approach to situations when there may be no access to medical care during some major event.

There are some lists to assist in building first aid kits, suggestions for available free resources such as on-line downloads like the Coast Guard "Standards of Training Certification and Watch Keeping for Seamen" and the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) "Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Habitat in Prisons".
These resources are good for when medical help is not readily available. The one about prisons typically refers to third world prisons and contains many useful things that can be utilized locally if systems and infrastructures fail.

This book made me aware that I can not cover all possibilities and that I do not have all of the skill sets to be all things in the face of disaster. Therefore I have picked a couple of areas that I will focus on and be prepared for.

I will specialize in PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and basic first aid. So this book indeed was a good one for me because it helped me to see that I may have to rely on others such as family members, neighbors or my community to fill in those medical skills that I do not have, especially for a long term event.

Not wanting to rely on neighbors or community, my choice is to look at immediate family members, if we each acquire separate items and skill sets I feel we will be fairly well prepared.

I like the book and I like the balanced approach.
on February 23, 2015
I sail, and at times there are circumstances where you need medical treatment and there is literally no way to get to a doctor. This book covers the medical advice and preparation I wanted. It doesn't go so deep as to be complicated, but it does give some very good advice to those who anticipate the need for medical help miles from civilization. I have some knowledge of medicine (I am a registered nurse), and I wanted something that would cover more than the basics. This book is exactly what I wanted.
on October 22, 2014
I am pleased with this book as it is a 'hands on' instruction type reference guide in several topics. You can keep it as such AFTER reading it thoroughly. What I appreciate is how this MD is very supportive without being an alarmist by explaining that it is not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN some sort of major emergency will occur and there is not a doctor around.
on July 3, 2017
absolutely invaluable
on March 5, 2017
It's ok. I think I knew a lot of this material already. It's not a first aid guide.