Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 66 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
on July 16, 2013
For this short-lived TV series (13 episodes, never repeated as far as I know) to have made such an impression that I would immediately BUY IT 38 years later is quite amazing. Let's see what was going on in 1975. I was 10. I was watching Saturday Night Live's first season, I had gotten into Monty Python when the local PBS station started showing Flying Circus around that time, I don't think I had seen Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein yet so I wouldn't have known who Mel Brooks was. I guess I knew the Robin Hood legend so I could see the potential for parody. So after viewing a few of these episodes again, I can say that this purchase is well worth it. The gags are low-brow but still funny. Comedy veterans Dick Gautier, Dick Van Patten, and Bernie Kopell are great. I had forgotten how cute and funny Misty Rowe is. And so far, there have been some great guest stars - Sid Caesar, Dudley Moore (I also had forgotten how much I liked him), and Steve Landesberg (pre-Barney Miller but thanks to the Blazing Saddles DVD I know he had been in the pilot for the Blazing Saddles TV show [as the Gene Wilder character]). I still have another 7 episodes to watch but I'm already enjoying this so for a price under $20, I would say that's a good value!
on January 5, 2014
The term 'Lost Treasure' must have been invented for this comedy series, which I never thought would ever see the light of DVD! This show ran for only 13 episodes during the 1975-76 broadcast season. It was actually co-created by the great Mel Brooks (at the height of his creative powers, right after Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein). I was really young, like in 3rd grade, when it was on - but I actually remember loving this show - and being very depressed, when it was suddenly canceled (it wasn't until the Monty Python series started being shown in America, on PBS, about a year later - that my comedy spirits brightened again!) I am surprised that I was actually able to still remember a number of episodes quite well, when I re-watched them on DVD recently (I guess this show had such an impact, on my 8 year old brain, that it was somehow 'burned' in memory - but now I'm thinking, I couldn't have really understood all those requisite Mel Brooks' 'double-entendre' jokes at that age could I, who knows? What's more mysterious, is that Monty Python seemed completely understandable a year later, at the ripe old age of 9 years?! But back to Brooks' small-screen masterpiece = The writing was top-notch, acting spot-on (and appropriately over-the-top). I really don't understand why this show was not a Big/Huge Hit at the time! To sum up, this is certainly not 'high brow' humor - but it is just about as good/ Funny as it gets (much better, more inspired than the later film: "Robin Hood, Men in Tights"). Order this DVD for yourself, before it goes out-of-print again - for another 30 something years!
note: Mel Brooks recently received the American Film Institute (AFI) Lifetime Achievement Award = Richly deserved, since Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and (the original film version of) The Producers, are among the funniest, and best written comedy films ever made (along with Annie Hall, Sleeper, Bananas, and "Love & Death" -written & directed by W. Allen - with scribe assist by Brickman on the first two, and of course, big/heavy assist from Tolstoy, on the Last one - didn't "War & Peace" keep you in stitches, when you read it in college, especially the first 900 pages!)
on June 12, 2013
I was in 5th grade when this show premiered on ABC on Wednesday nights in the fall of 1975. I remember it so vividly. It was a hilarious show that was way ahead of its time. The show featured Dick Van Patten (as Friar Tuck) and Bernie Kopell (as Alan A Dale) before each would find greater success in the other hits "Eight is Enough" and "The Love Boat". The antics of Robin Hood (played by Dick Gautier), and his merry men were very short lived-the show was cancelled several weeks into its run and ended after only 13 episodes. If I remember correctly the very last showing was on a Saturday night (Christmas eve) and it was a repeat of the bell episode. With guest stars such as Sid Caesar and Dudley Moore, it's a mystery as to why this hilarious show did not last longer. Mel Brooks was and is a legend and this series is one of the most long awaited titles I have been waiting for to add to my collection.
on April 1, 2014
Perhaps no modern critic would love it. Mel Brook's "When Things Were Rotten" is silly, stupid, full of sight gags, and nothing more than that.

But I found it enjoyable. This particular take-off of Robin Hood is just plain fun. Henry Polic II (who just passed away) gives a wonderful hammy, vaudeville like performance as the evil Sherriff of Nottingham and Misty Rowe is just wonderful and beautiful as Maid Marion. Dick Gautier, Bernie Kopell, and Dick Van Patten are all great in their respective roles, and while the series was short-lived, it did have its strengths, especially for those who love their comedy broad.

Perfect for litte kids, who love cartoons (it is a cartoon), and has absolutely no questionable humor or any politically correct message. Or for that matter, any other kind.

Great present for the kid in all of us. Give it a try.

JThree
Williston ND
carolyn3@midco.net
on June 25, 2014
My two older children an I remember this show very well, and what's more, we loved it. When the set arrived, my daughter almost ripped it out of my hands, but I held on tight. After all, age does have its privileges, and the first watching is mine! All mine! To place the cherry on the sundae, it's still as hilarious now as it was then, if not more so. In this show the humor seems to improve with age, for it seems a bit funnier now than it did in 1975. I'm glad I thought to look to see if it was available, because not to have it to view once more would be a major loss. Great picture, great sound, great memories! What more could you ask?
on September 24, 2013
This gem was not easy to find, and has been all but forgotten by the popular media. It is unabashedly and gratuitously silly and campy, bulldozing the fourth wall at every turn. Lovable veteran character actors enjoy a delightful, fanciful romp through Nottingham and Sherwood Forest, where the good guys always win, the bad guys are hopelessly inept, all problems miraculously resolve by the end of each episode, and no one ever, ever gets killed. This period television series became the conceptual forerunner of the feature length film, "Robin Hood -- Men in Tights". If this is the stuff you like, grab some cold beer and nachos, fire up the pizza oven, and get ready to laugh your guts up. If not, well, you have been warned!
on August 21, 2013
The show was just as I remembered it and I was not disappointed with the content at all but the DVDs were... dare I say it? Rotten!!!! The DVDs would not play all the way through the DVDs, around the Fourth episode they would freeze then stop. the same with the second DVD. If I hadn't up loaded them on my computer and rescued them by burning a new set I would not have seen all of the episodes.

So again a big thumbs up on the content

A big thumbs down for the DVDs themselves.
on May 13, 2017
Awesome! what a treat to see a lot of comedic talent. Good clean fun TV.
on July 21, 2017
Excellent.
on April 5, 2015
Forgotten Mel Brooks Show. Not bad, if you enjoyed Mel's "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" you should enjoy this too. Even has Dick Van Patten in both Show and Movie (Friar Tuck in show, the Abbott in Movie) Unlike most "sitcoms" today, it doesn't have to do "message" shows. I watch sitcoms to laugh and relax.....not to get preached at by people who make more in an episode than I make in a year. This is good light, family friendly TV.