Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

When Warren Speaks, We Should Listen!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 26, 2008, 11:39:34 PM PST
T. MAK says:
Investing is unlike some other areas in the world (for example politics, C-suites, education, environmental causes etc., and, of course, office politics) where being right may not necessarily ensure one's success (due to the short-term reward nature of these areas). In the investment world, being right will ensure huge payday due to the long-term reward nature of this particular field of endeavor. Therefore, to do well in the investment world, you must first understand the world reasonably well. To understand the world well, it helps to pay more attention (i.e., give more weights) to people who shoot straight. And among the rare individuals in this world who shoot straight, Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger clearly stand out. If Warren takes the initiative to ask Alice to write this book, it is surely a must-read, and I believe, it will be the Bible of Investing. What makes it even greater is the fact that it is the labor of love after a few years of delay of publications (for the last few years some worried that the project might have died), and they have more than 800 pages to benefit us! Long-term investors of the world: do not read this book at your own peril! I believe it will be one of the top two books for businessmen and investors alike (the other one is Sam Walton's autobiography "Made in America").

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008, 11:08:49 PM PDT
Ima Consumer says:
I read Roger Lowenstein's excellent book: "Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist," which I thoroughly enjoyed. In the book, Roger Lowenstein mentioned that Warren Buffett had indicated he would neither help nor hinder Lowenstein's effort in writing the book. The fact that "The Snowball" was written with his help and his blessing makes me all the more eager to curl up with it. As a long time admirer of Warren Buffett, and a Berkshire Hathaway shareholder, as well, I have the utmost respect for the Oracle of Omaha. However, in view of the current financial crisis, I only wish people on Wall Street, and in Washington D.C., had been listening to Warren in 2003, when he warned against derivitive contracts, stated they were a "ticking time bomb." Tick-Tock.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008, 1:48:27 PM PDT
Today Warren said it is a good time to buy stocks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 26, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 17, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life
The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder (Paperback - October 27, 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars (508)