Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on August 19, 2016
I decided to review this book because of its historical value to mankind. I truly do not believe that the American White as well as the African American comprehend the true nature of slavery in the south. Having one story from one plantation is not enough to grasp the full extend of slavery. Every plantation owner had his own set of rules and how he provided for "his" slaves. Some slaves loved their owner and were treated as human beings while others were cruel and tortured the slaves, feeding then from troughs as if they were animals. The eye witness accounts are without a doubt the best way to learn about slavery in the south and this book should be on the reading list at high schools.
on August 4, 2017
These narratives depict the physical and mental atrocities visited upon black people in a way no other method, save that of witnessing the barbarities firsthand, could. The narratives that disclosed the meanness and depravity of evil "masters," graphically illustrate the abject wrongness of slavery. Lest we be inclined to consider the reports depicting benignant generosity among slave owners as exonerating slavery, consider the aftermath of emancipation. Hundreds of thousands of black people who were taught to depend on the largess of their white masters as the only way to live, were plunged into contemptible, humiliating poverty; swept under the feet of the vanquished foe that once enslaved them. Having described the slavery from which they were emancipated, they then speak of a new slavery of exclusion and hatred.
on September 4, 2017
It gave you a "outline" of life as a slave. Some were treated much better than others.....One man's life was just plain horrendous. In the end they all lived like cattle. From my understanding this is just a tip of the stories on file. All people and generations should take the time to read these stories .....they are "all" our history. Whether we are the slaves or the owners of the past....it is our past.....lessons to learn by and never repeat.
on June 6, 2016
Engaging. After about three-quarters through the book, there's a sense of deja vu, but I still made it to the end. My friends questioned my choice to read slave narratives, but I found them enlightening. The hierarchy that existed for the slaves connects to modern times. The numerous examples of Stockholm Syndrome were surprising. It was a good reminder that little changed after the end of slavery because there was no support or protection in place.
on August 1, 2016
This is the book you want to read if you want to know exactly what slavery is truly like. Of course there are good and bad in all people and some slave owners were very kind and well loved.
on May 16, 2011
I purchased this book because i really wanted to know what being in bondage was actually like from the people who lived it.I was not disappointed it tells the tale of how cruel and unjust slavery really was without the Hollywood Smoothover.Some of the tales really gripped at my heart families being torn apart never to see each other again,getting beaten and murdered at your slave masters whim, women getting raped. Although i knew these things happened in slavery but to actually hear it from those who actually lived thru it still ripped at my heart.Being a very proud woman of color to read what my ancestor's had to go thru and still keep the faith and carry on makes me both proud and faithful.I highly recommend this book to anyone who really wants to know the truth about slavery and to any person of color who is truly proud of who they are and truly want to know about their heritage.An EXCELLENT READ AND I WILL BE PURCHASING THE 100 SLAVE MEMOIRS AS WELL.
on June 19, 2012
Some of these experiences had me nearly in tears. They were so gruesome. Yet, other narratives delighted in their life as slaves - their master either treated them well or they were brainwashed. I don't know but some had actually preferred life back in slavery, rather than their freedom . But rightfully so, after slavery ended, many slaves had it rough because of the racism and segregation. They could not find work, and if they found work, they were paid meager wages and were treated terribly.

Many of the authors in this book were in their 90s to 100 years old but their memory served them so well to offer such details of what took place while in slavery!

Currently, I am reading "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindess" where it speak about the vagrancy laws - black men age 18 and up had to have proof of employment when checked annually. If not, they were considered a vagrant and ushered to jail. Imagine, it was a crime not to work! While in jail, they were leased out to plantations - to work as slaves! This made slavery legal, again. What a cycle that they had to go thru during those days....my heart aches...
on March 2, 2018
Wanted to buy a book about slavery that wasn't overly graphic so my 11 year old can know what it was really like because schools don't tell the true story and how awful these people were treated. Reading about true encounters, some not so bad and some horrible, is what I was looking for and found with this book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 25, 2013
I kept putting off purchasing this book. After reading the first FEW memoirs...I see that it was a TERRIBLE mistake that I kept putting this off!! As I read the first memoir..I had to get on FB and share. It opened a lot of people's eyes. They asked WHERE DID I get this book from? My answer...Amazon.com. If you are pondering on wheather you should grab this book (and btw its a STEAL) you should!! Great year 'round reading, NOT just for Black History Month. Read this NOW and you will be ready for Black History Month and ready to compare and contrast some readings.
on January 7, 2016
I enjoyed this book very much. It did a very good job of presenting varying opinions from freed slaves. There was a gamut of emotions. I get the impression that some of the interviewees were not entirely comfortable opening up to who I assume were white interviewers but that in itself is a reflection of the feelings involved. It was difficult at times to hear some of the stories and know that people went through these things but it is eye opening and credible. These are interviews with real people, word for word, without someone else's opinions or suppositions imposed. Very valuable read!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse