Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star). See all 29 reviews
on September 29, 2005
I loved the text of this book and the over all message, I took a copy to China when I adopted my daughter and had her nannies sign it and write messages to her that she can read in the future, it is a great keepsake. I loved the book so much I bought copies for everyone I knew who had or was waiting to adopt from China. Tells the story of many children adopted from China in a very positive way. I like the pictures too, being in black and white gave it a different feel, would have liked to see some color to give China more vibrant life, but otherwise the book is good, so 4 out of 5 stars.
Each page is filled with pictures of China and a couple of easy sentences about Chinese history, beauty, culture, and how kids enjoy Coke and dumplings when they can splurge. Includes sentences that tell about the adoption process, and reinforce the point that the child is loved. Discusses how laws by China's leaders allow only one child per family, and how Chinese parents LOVE children, but ancient ideas about male babies are hard to overcome in some families, and girls get placed for adoption to other loving couples. Encouraging. Primary idea is that your (the child's) story began in China.
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 20, 2004
This book gives a general view on the `whys' of your child's adoption, from the culture, rules in China to why you are her parents and what that means to her. It tackles some issues that well certainly spawn endless amount of questions. Be prepared to answer them honestly in a heart to heart conversation.
The book is simple, averaging one or two paragraphs per page, with many black and white pictures of China and the children. It's a nice book for children four or older as it takes comprehension of what is being said. You'll be able to tell when the right time to read this book is.
Aesthetically the book is beautiful and artistic, despite the fact that it's slender, it's not the best for small hands.
on July 2, 1998
I found this book to be a positive story with many truths. I take exception to the presentation of the parents "loving" their daughter so much that they want the best for her.
As an adoptive parent of a beautiful Chinese daughter, I don't want her to think that her birthmother was a fairy godmother, or a movie star who will come get her some day.
The truth that China is a male dominated society and the mothers are sometimes forced to abandon the girls due to political & family presure is not presented.
I much prefer the book, "Why Was I Adopted".
on July 28, 2000
Being one of over 4000 adoptive parents waiting for referral of a child from China, I found this book to be a very helpful resource that I will add to my future daughter's library. I will simplify and personalize some of the explanations from this book to create her own personalized memory book about China and her adoption.