Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Where It All Begins
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 18, 2011
Lalah Hathaway is one of the few artists whose music I can confidently buy without having heard a single song and know that I'll be pleased. `Where It All Begins' is no exception. She returns with those sultry vocals over a nice mix of soulful tunes. (Good Lord, I love this woman!)

"Lie to Me" (my favorite) is a beautiful heartbreaker urging the bittersweet delay of the inevitable separation, much in the same vein of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" and Karyn White's "Tell Me Tomorrow". Lalah's delivery is both seductive and sorrowful.

"Where It All Begins" is funky melodious call for self-examination for those still looking to come into their own. She asks, "Do you know who you are?" Can't help but sway to this one.

"Small of My Back" is a honey-dipped exercise in disco era nostalgia. This was one of the first songs she performed from this CD during her recent tour.

"Strong Woman" is a nice cautionary tale to the fellow on the verge of losing a lovely gift that he's taking granted. This is the most contemporary song on the CD that I could hear a number of other artists singing such as Mary J Blige, Brandy, or Beyonce.

"You Were Meant For Me" pays homage to her father Donny Hathaway, my favorite singer of all time. The resemblance between her and her father's tone quality is striking and haunting.

"If You Want To" - Let the weekend begin! The rhythm on this one will get me to my destination quickly in the car (along with a few speeding tickets).

The CD ends nicely with the sweet lullaby "Dreamland" that is combined with a reprise of "This Could Be Love". If you're reading this review, you are undoubtedly a Lalah Hathaway sophisticate who won't be disappointed with `Where It All Begins'. Highly recommended!
on October 18, 2011
Laylah thank you so much for the new album I bought the cd today and sat in my car and listen and all I can say is WOW! I love the cd from start to finish but
" Lie to me" is by far my favorite cut, I mean your voice commands my attention on this one. Please release this song as a single! This song will be number #1 on the R&B and pop charts... a sure winner! I have a feeling a new audience will finally take notice of the great voice of Laylah Hathaway. I see your vision on this album, and I feel your growth... You made some bold decisions, and I'm glad you did. You just didn't stay doing the same old things that you done in the past you shown growth and did somethings new.... and it's awesome... but I remember your work you did with Chucki Booker back in the day and Angela Winbush you were hurting them way back then they were not ready for you, you were ahead of your time... But us Laylah Hollics understood and we still play those albums to this day, I know I still do. A few cuts on the new album reminds me of some of the work you use to do with Chucki Booker, I still play self portrait but this new album is PURE FIRE! I love your phrasing, and the way you tell a story... Wow, I can go on and on, thank you for blessing us and taking your time to give us quality Music. The Confidence you display in your music is so sexy.... Now that's a sign of a "Strong Woman"

A great cd, a must buy!
on October 18, 2011
For some, this will be their first exposure to Lalah Hathaway. I have been a fan since her first album "Lalah Hathaway" and was delighted to hear a remake of "I'm Coming Back". I was equally delighted to hear the remake of her father's song, "You Were Meant For Me". My first exposure to Lalah was her debut album, which I purchased on cassette tape. I still have that cassette and have followed all aspects of her career. I am ecstatic to see her career become more main stream, with live performances on several award and tribute shows. I was eagerly anticipating the release of this album. I was not disappointed, delighted in fact! It is rare to find an album that you can put on repeat and listen to over and over again. Each time you hear it, you will find something new that you love about each song. I have yet to hear Lalah perform live, but I will soon at her Atlanta show. This CD is a must have for any fan of real music that is tired of hearing songs about baby daddies and relationship drama. This album is about love and if you have ever been there, it expresses it beautifully.
on November 4, 2011
I purchased this CD on the day that it was released and I have to say that I am not disappointed at all. As with the other positive reviews on Amazon, I find that her voice is in top shape and her choice of music was on point. "Wrong Way" is the stand out song for me. I always enjoy music that speaks of empowerment and change. Don't sleep on this song. It can change how you may have be dealing with some issue in your life. With that said, I would recommend this CD to everyone who appreciates great music.
on October 24, 2011
As most of the reviewers here, I have been a fan for 20 or so years. I think this album is a fine effort. Numbers like "Lie to Me", "You are my Everything", and "Wrong Way" are very "today". Cuts like "Where it all Begins" and "This Could be Love" prove that Lalah has not lost the soul touch. I'll be surprised if "Small of my Back" is not released as a single. "Always Love You" is a solid, catchy tune, and who could resist this misty rendition of the classic "I'm Coming Back"? The album as a whole is well-rounded. Her voice continues to mature and keep us all listening. Add this album to "Outrun the Sky" and "Self Portrait", and Lalah remains my favorite artist of today, not just my favorite artist from back-in-the-day. I had the pleasure of meeting Lalah at a performance here in Indianapolis back when she was out promoting "Outrun the Sky" in 2005. Words cannot express how much I appreciate her as an artist. Everyone needs a favorite singer that they can be excited about, and with this new album, I am officially trippin'...

E.S.
on November 11, 2015
A fan but think my lady needs guidance. She has a brilliant voice that shows in collaboration with other and on this CD. But the songs she picks are not equal to her talent. Still waiting Ms Hathaway.
on October 25, 2011
I just love the new CD-although I can't stop listening to "I'm coming back with Rachelle Ferrell. Their voices are so perfectly blended you don't know where one ends and the other starts. I bought a few CDs to give as gifts to others who love her. Can't wait to see her live in Atlanta on 11/5. This is what singing is suppose to sound like. Awesome does not begin to describe the sound on this CD. So glad she finally released a new CD--I have been waiting. Good stuff.
A thoroughly wonderful album. And the best music I've honestly ever heard from Lalah Hathaway. On her previous album and Stax debut set Self Portrait she presented herself as someone caught between being her writing and the instrumentation. Perhaps it was a type of musical midlife crisis at that time. And than again,one might expect a lot from some equally as talented,intelligent and benevolent as her father had been. Now it's four years later and the R&B world is beginning to show signs of undergoing some changes. Something that hasn't been true of the music for a long time. It's begun to re-embrace the idea of intelligently written uptempo numbers that are more rhythmic than beat oriented and deliver on full on album concepts as opposed to the "singles n' filler" format so often used to sell records in different decades. This is someone with an extremely strong musical self conceptualization. And this album uses every side of that to the ultimate effect.

One of the key things that make this album different than the last is the energy level. On the emotional front it's equal in terms of passion but her method of expressing it is a lot different. "Strong Woman" and "Lie To Me" are perfect examples of modern uptempo R&B/funk with enough touches of contemporary production flavors to function for modern audiences. "My Everything" and in particular the sensual "Small Of My Back",which is my favorite tune on the album come fully to terms of urban "nu groove" style sophistifunk . There are actually a good number of slower songs too including her studio remake of her father's "You Were Meant For Me" and "Wrong Way" have this thick rhythmic backdrop which adds further power to their passionate,reflective lyrics. A duet between herself and Racelle Ferrell "I'm Coming Back" brings her to term again with the jazzier side of her sound. On some versions of this CD you also get two excellent bonus tracks-the potent,soulful message song "We're All In This Together" and the high octane disco-funk of "Lose Yourself".

Especially in an era where musical transition is a big presence, it's important that any major vocalist/songwriter/musician keep a strong focus on the music their delivering. And that's one of the qualities that make this album the potent listening experience it is. By presenting a broad pallet of music-from uptempo soul/funk to intricate jazzy ballads,all with more of a light sprinkling of a modern production touch than a huge saturation of it,Lalah presents her music in a manner that's very complimentary to her persona. This is one of those albums that is just about the most ideal thing she could possibly release at this point in her life and career. Her own persona outside that of her family AND within it are very much fully realized. And it's that personal and musical realization that makes this all the more a potent listening experience for myself especially.
on January 10, 2013
Unlimited talents, beautiful voice, soulful melodies, hopeful, lovingly, and all around great album. I hear Lalah some years back, and didn't know her name but always knew that voice. She's truly a diamond in the rough, and shine brightly even unpolished, I believe is one of the most underrated singers of our time... This music is timeless.
on October 24, 2011
Lesson .. this is a real artist. My fav is lie to me, and "I'm coming back" with Rachele Ferrell . I'm coming back (she was the first to do that song, than my dear RIP Vesta did her version this remake is the best so far. The mellow jazzier grove, I love it and Rachele is great on this song, to the point it's hard to tell who is singing what part. I have played this song about 5 times, and can not get enough of it. Thanks For more real music !!!