Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 8,115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,016 reviews
on May 6, 2015
Where She Went is the second book in the If I Stay series and my favorite of the two. It was just as emotional as the first and even more intense. Despite the theme of death in If I Stay, there is something much darker about most of the second novel.

Where She Went is told from the point of view of Adam and begins a few years after If I Stay ends. Mia and Adam have gone in totally different directions, living totally different and totally separate lives. From the very beginning of the novel, it is clear that Adam hasn't moved on very well. His personal and professional lives are suffering and he can't seem to get it together. Even his band mates, once his best friends, have been alienated by him and he doesn't know what to do to change anything. He is alone and lonely and suffering.

This is a story about the effect that grief has on people. Mia lost her family, a family that meant almost as much to Adam. And he lost Mia for reasons he doesn't truly know. In a way, watching Adam go through the things he did was even more heart breaking than Mia's pain in the first novel. Watching his transformation, and Mia's, throughout the book was emotional and beautiful. Like the first, it was Adam who owned my heart as a character. I just wanted things to change for him, for him to find happiness.

My Recommendation: This isn't always an easy read, but it is a beautiful one. It tells the story of two people torn apart by the worst of experiences. In my opinion, the aftermath of grief shown in this book was as important to the story as the initial tragedy itself.
on September 13, 2014
Where She Went - Gayle Forman

This is a beautiful story - told from Adam's POV. However the story begins after a period of time - I think 3 years has traversed. Ut I stand to be corrected. Adam has/was supportive of Mia. This is Adam's story and here we find a confused, hurt and very vulnerable young man trying to traverse the pressures of fame and the media attention. Thankfully even at Adam's weakest moments Mia finds her way back to Adam, magically seeing that he has attended her concert in New York. This happens to be three years down the track. A period of long separation that has left Adam floundering and trying to find himself and his reason for being. This is deeply saddening because as you travel through their travels going forward I felt that Mia deserted Adam. However the reasons for this are for you, the reader to find out, I do not wish to be a spoiler here. However, what I will say is that I was more camp Adam than Mia at this point in the story, Read their epic discovery, the feelings they hold deep down will make you cry, so be warned.

I hope you have read the first book because this had me in tears for most of the duration of Mia's story but I am going to say Adam's version was, for me by far the better read. I was invested in his version because he truly loved Mia. I didn't like her accusations in the least. - Adam was supportive at the very least! Enjoy cos it is an emotional roller coaster ride with an epic ending. If there was a movie then I would have elected to see Adam's version first because you will see and hear her extremely unfair accusation. I am more camp Adam!

Gayle Forman has written 2 beautiful stories about two people, their love of music and the tragedy that changed everything for both Mia and Adam. Mia's story is painful but truly beautiful however sorry for me Adam rocked the whole way in his version of events.

Lesley S
on September 7, 2014
T & G Book Boutique Reviews: http://tgbookboutique.blogspot.com

“Love, it never dies. It never goes away, it never fades, so long as you hang on to it. Love can make you immortal.”

Ok well let me start off with how I felt before I read this book. I had heard so much about this book and it was recommended to me and I was really eager to start. The only problem was I put it up there at the top of my reading list but once I started, it wasn’t what I was expecting. I didn’t like the book as a whole and I don’t know what it was (probably the writing style) but it had some good parts to it. I liked how I could connect to some things the character said and how the memories would play throughout the book. I liked that Adam and Mia had a complicated relationship. This made the book seem real because in other books you see how all the couples have such a perfect relationship with just one problem and that is unreal while Mia and Adam started off with an uncomfortable start to their relationship. I found this endearing, as well as how they would feel towards one another, their doubts, their differences, and how their relationship developed through time. Even through all that they still fell in love with each other. That’s why I found it really sweet that Adam tried everything he could to get in to see Mia at the hospital. It was quite sad that she saw the accident and her family dead right in front of her eyes. Overall, it was an okay book but I think that in this case (which for me is almost never) the movie will be better that the book.

-Love T
on March 14, 2017
This a real journey. This we're the first books i read after 6 month of catharsis. But this dualigy(if this word exist, i think the correct one is duality) it was a real wake up call to this catharsis. We all can do a matchmaker of our lives through both ,or better all of the characters in the books. The patents,the grands,the close friends,the tragedy,the healing ,the recovery,the recounter of yiurself through the lost/healing/ reborn. Of course for Mia and Adams the first and ending point was the love for music. Which was at some point an issue of division for their love,tgeir existence,but at the end still the glue of their lives,their love ,their future. I particularly loved the paranormal way you can experiment in both , a lots of stories to tell in the real life can reafirmed the truly in the "named" paranormal stuff. Very well written. I read "if i stay" in a midday, i think it was 3 hours and a half to be more assurance. I've been trapped in this world of magnificent words that even i was post third shift(you know nurse,anesthetist in a Trauma center, shift from 11p-7@),with just a bit of sleep hours,i wasn't able to quit it and even started this one right away i finished the first. I think 5 stars are tamed to rate this both masterpieces. I'll recommend it with my eyes closed indeed. Standing ovation Gayle. Looking foward to read your others works.
on June 22, 2017
The follow up to If I Stay, Where She Went brings you back to Mia and how life looks after her decision to fight and stay on Earth rather than pass on with her family that she lost in a terrible car accident.

My heart broke for Mia and how hard it must have been to go through each day without her family. She understandably leaves her town and continues on with her music but still only seems like the shell she once was. You also get to see how the accident not only affected her but the life of those closest to her as well. How Adam fights to not lose her and try to bring her back to him.

Such an emotional read but is written so well that you never want to put it down.
on July 26, 2014
The premise of the story intrigued me, but that wasn't a huge part of the book. Most of the book is about Mia's back story, her relationship with her parents, her best friend and her boyfriend, her love for the cello, etc. I was surprised at how strongly the story impacted me- it really made me examine my own life on a deep level and I found myself crying on several occasions. I'm quite surprised this is considered a YA book- even though the main character is a teenager, I found the themes resonated with me at age 49. The writing is also superb- I haven't read a book this good in a long time.

The only criticism I have- and it's a mild one- is that the "present-day" events, and what Mia goes through as she makes her decision, are not developed to the extent I thought they would have been. After all, it's the original premise of the book- you expect the character to go through a lot of struggles to decide whether to return to life or not. And in the end, you don't see her actually make the decision- it just kind of suddenly happens, and then the book is over. Perhaps not surprising since it leads you to immediately want to read "Where She Went" to find out what happens next. And honestly, the book was so good that I didn't even realize the life-or-death decision hadn't been explored fully until the book was over!
on June 22, 2017
Heart wrenching, thought provoking and utterly addicting. When Mia is the only survivor in a terrible car accident involving her family, she is still stuck in the middle. Having to decide whether to fully let go and meet her family on the other side or fight and stay with her boyfriend Adam and remaining extended family and heal without them. The journey that this story takes you on is emotional, engrossing and makes you at times ask yourself "What would you do". You follow Mia on her remembrance of times with her family and loved ones, both good and bad, that lead to her final decision. A story I have read over and over again and each time feels like the first.
on December 1, 2015
Conceptually, it seems like a solid idea to write the book entirely from his perspective. I think what works well is the introduction to new chapters with lyrics of his songs that are based on his feelings about her/the relationship/etc. This book picks up where the first one left off. I didn't read the first book, I simply happened to catch the movie recently. I watched it using my Amazon Prime account so that's how the recommendation for this book popped up. (Hats off to Amazon for the savvy yet subtle marketing!). Anyway, the book isn't written as well as the movie is portrayed so it didn't reach out and capture you. It's been a chore to get through it and despite it being several weeks and the initial excitement upon reading it, I still haven't finished the book. It also goes back and forth from past to present and it draws the storyline out in a way that seems silly. I'm 65% through the book and it's still talking about one night. I can't imagine a book that takes 100+ pages and we're still talking about a 2 hour block of time.
on May 24, 2015
I have determined that I will never love Gayle Forman as much as everyone else does. While I appreciated both If I Stay and Where She Went, I never had anything but lukewarm excitement about either of them.

Forman does not tug on my heartstrings, she has never invoked the slightest of tears. This may be because I have never liked her characters. I do not like Mia. I do not like Adam. Adam is pretty much as emo as you can get. Yes, I get it. He's been through pain. If this novel were about something else, and the pain was just one aspect on the book, perhaps I could sympathize. But it was entirely about Adam wallowing and that wasn't entertaining to me. I had the same problem with If I Stay. It just wasn't entertaining to me.

There are a million reviews out there singing this novel's praises, for I am severely in the minority. Really, this review (however imprecise and concise it may be), is nothing more than my informal opinion of it. Do I think this is a bad book? No, I think it has substance and the prose is poetic. But did I enjoy this book? Not really. It couldn't engage me and I will most likely forget about it in a matter of weeks.

Go ahead, love Adam. I won't be joining you
on September 19, 2014
Originally posted on my blog: www.book-scents.com

It was a long time after I read If I Stay before I read Where She Went. I was scared! If I Stay crushed my heart and had me ugly crying for the majority of the book. I wasn't sure if I was ever going to be emotionally read for Where She Went. Then I got it from the library so I sort of had to read it before I returned it. :)

Where She Went takes place 3 years after If I Stay (3!!!). When I initially saw the synopsis, I was just thinking "what the crap?!" Anyway, Mia has been pursuing her music at Juilliard and Adam's band has taken off and reached rock star status. This story is told in Adam's POV and you see his turmoil during these years without Mia. God, it broke my heart.

By a twist of fate, Adam and Mia meet in New York after all that time and explore the city together before they each have to leave the next day. I enjoyed seeing how they interacted but they kept dancing around the big elephant in the room -- like, hey Mia, why did you go and break my effing heart?

I think I was mad at Mia for a large part of this book and it detracted from how I felt about the story. Of course the book was emotional, especially the flashbacks and seeing what Adam went through. However, while emotional and while I teared up in a few parts, it wasn't as soul crushing as If I Stay.

Adam Wilde. Oh Adam. My heart ached and I just wanted to hold him for most of the book. I loved that it was in his POV. Was there ever such a perfect boy? One of my favorite aspects of this book was the music and each chapter opened with a snippet of lyrics from one of his songs. It added a lot to the story since the majority of his music is about what he's feeling. It made me wish Adam was REAL so I could go and buy his album because I want to listen to it!!

I really enjoyed this emotional addition to Adam and Mia's story but I think I liked If I Stay more. Maybe If I Stay touched me more or maybe I was just upset at Mia for too long. However, all that to say, Where She Went was still amazing. It was emotional, intense, and Adam and Mia's love story really is one of a kind. They are just perfect. :)