Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,097 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,449 reviews
on July 12, 2015
Im sooo disapointed by this book.
I loved all the other emily griffin books, but this one, I struggled just finishing.
Firstly, Its sooo predictable, I knew exactly what would happen to the main character as I started reading.
Its hard to feel emotionally connected to the characters, because they are one dimentional. Myriam is a typical New york workaholic snob who loves to shop at barneys, yawnnn. Kirby is a typical teenager who loves music, and is unsure of herself and trying to figure out what to do with her life.
I did not feel myself wanting to flip the pages of the book, and trying to find out what would happen.
MEhh, wouldnt recommend, its another 3 hours ill never get back.
on June 12, 2017
This is one of my favorite author's because I really enjoy her very carefree and easy writing style. I recommend to read her books in order, but it is NOT necessary to read any of her novels. She puts just a tad bit of background in there to explain to you what happened in a previous book. Great author, great mini series, excellent reading.
on July 20, 2014
Bought this book because I was looking for a book to read on vacation. I have read Emily Giffin's other books and have enjoyed them, and this story didn't disappoint me.

I will say that I prefer a happy ending, and while this book doesn't have a bad ending, I would have liked for it to go on a little longer to see where two of the main characters ended up.

While I thought the story was somewhat unbelievable, it was uplifting and I enjoyed reading it. I could also see this becoming a movie, as her other stories have.

If you liked Emily Giffin's other books, you will likely like this one, too.
on October 29, 2016
I read this book the first time and thought it was boring. I don't know what was different about this time, but clearly SOMETHING was. The words she wrote were the same, but this time I felt what was going on in my gut.

It was so real. It's so tempting to expect an adoption story to end with everyone one big happy family or the complete opposite--everyone coming away from the meeting with nothing in common and no desire to be part of each others' lives.

I think I read one of the earlier reviews as saying that the book provided a negative look at adoption. I didn't see it that way at all. Kirby got what she needed, and Marian and Conrad as the adults figured out their lives the best way they could. However, I do wish Marian had been honest with Conrad at the beginning.
on December 4, 2012
A lot of reviews noted that this was a "fun and breezy" read and I would agree that I generally had a good time reading it- it was a compelling story and I loved the characters. But the subject tone was a much more serious one than Giffin has taken on in the past that I felt was a little bit heavier though still enjoyable. Where We Belong tells the story of Marian Caldwell, a successful 30-something television producer, who is visited by Kirby Rose, an 18 year old misunderstood teenager who also happens to be Marian's biological daughter that she gave up for adoption 18 years ago. Told from both Marian and Kirby Rose's perspectives, this is an addictive read that allows for a varied perspective into a difficult situation. What I found most interesting about this book are the questions that Giffin confronted- how do you handle creating a relationship between the biological mother and the biological daughter? What IS a "family"? How are families made? And does biology trump social constructions of family? Although these are heavy questions to answer and to confront, Giffin develops the characters and the plot in a way in which these questions are easily answered without being too serious or somber as other books that also focus on adoption and reunion. It's a great read the entire way through the book. The ending is a little bit predictable and the ending is nicely wrapped up for the reader. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it all on an international flight. It wasn't too heavy or somber but I felt that this book had a more serious tone than say Baby Proof or Something Borrowed. Most of all, it made me really question whether the age-old phrase "I'm where I'm meant to be" is always true...
on January 3, 2014
"Where We Belong" is a story about decisions and consequences, and how the choices that we make not only affect ourselves but others as well. Marian a rich teenager was used to having her own way in everything, and didn't really think about how any of her actions may affect others.

While Marian was still in high school, she became pregnant by Conrad, a teenage musician friend. She hinted to him that she might be carrying his unborn child. Conrad was not exactly overjoyed when he heard about this, but made it very clear to Marian, that not only would he stand by her, but he would also take an active role in caring for their child. Marian decided then and there, that she had to keep her pregnancy a secret. Conrad she knew, would want her to keep the baby, and she just couldn't do that. So she broke up with him.

Her parents would never have approved of Conrad anyway, she rationalized. He was a musician who was going no-where, and she had college to attend, a career to find, and a successful man to capture, before she settled down. There was no room in her life for a stagnate husband and a new born baby; no, no room at all. So Marian secretly birthed their child and gave their daughter up for adoption.

Eighteen years later Marian's lie of omission came knocking at her door. Her daughter Kirby, was now a teenager and she wanted answers. Kirby always knew that she had been adopted, and for the most part, she was fine with that. But Kirby never felt like she really fit anywhere, and she wanted to know why. She wanted to know about her birth parents.

To all outward appearances, Marian appeared to have the perfect life. She was a successful TV producer who lived in a fancy upscale apartment, and had a rich handsome boyfriend by her side. But she wasn't happy, there was something missing in her life. Of course Marian's answer to her fulfillment was standing right at her doorstep, but she didn't know that yet.

There wasn't an immediate bonding with Marian and her daughter Kirby, which made the author's writing of their first meeting realistic. Kirby was the typical teenager, melodramatic, irritable and quite often rude. And Marian, well…she was the shell-shocked Mother, who was trying desperately to hide from everyone, her sin.

The two of them did end up bonding, but not before suffering some emotional bruises from each another. Kirby as anyone can imagine wasn't exactly throwing out warm fuzzies to her new found Mother, and Marian was quickly discovering with dismay that there were no easy "do overs" in life. And that sometimes the words "I'm sorry" just weren't enough.

This book stirred up strong emotions from Emily Giffin's readers. I personally liked it. I didn't care for the heroine, but I don't think I was supposed to. She was an entitled rich girl who was used to getting whatever she wanted without taking into consideration other people's feelings. She did change for the better though, when she discovered that what she really wanted, money couldn't buy. Forgiveness she found came slowly, like the pealing of an onion, one thin layer at a time. It wasn't something that she could rush, buy or take. It had to be given freely, and Marian decided, more than anything, that she wanted it.

I really liked Conrad and wished that he had played a greater role in this book. He was as well as the ending, a total surprise. I agree with many of the readers who felt that the ending of the book was too abrupt and that it would have benefitted greatly from a few added chapters. But then again, maybe the author is planning a sequel. A reader can only hope.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and would recommend giving it a read. I think Emily Giffin did a fabulous job with her character development, and unique storyline.
on February 13, 2015
The story of an adopted teen seeking her birthmother, is a poignant tale for me as an adoptive mother. I read with trepidation, knowing that one day my daughter may want to find her birthmother. That didn't take away from the beautiful story of self discovery or the wonderful relationship that the girl has with her real family--the one she grew up with.
When Kirby shows up in New York City to meet her birthmother, she doesn't find what she wants. Not yet. Her birthmother is not a person who has ever put someone's feelings and needs ahead of her own. Raised with a silver spoon, Marian has led a life free from obligations and become a TV producer, a ruthless one at that.
I won't spoil the plot but Griffin weaves a believable tale of growth, friendship and motherhood. I just wish these books weren't so dang expensive for a download. The price keeps me from reading more Griffin.
on May 26, 2015
I love Emily Giffin novels - they are typically light reads that result in a time warp as you bury deeper into the storyline, and I find them perfect companions for travel. This book was a quick read for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Giffin chose to write from alternating perspectives each chapter, which can be a risky technique, but it worked well within her story. Overall, I didn't just understand the characters, but rather I bonded with them and felt right in the action. Is this an Earth shattering novel which will win many awards and become a movie? Probably not. However, if you're in the mood for a good, light book, this one is worth a chance! I also loved the ending - it leaves creative direction up to the individual reader, and my mind is still processing what/where I'd want the characters to go do/be next.
on August 9, 2013
As usual Emily Giffin presents a touching tale. Where We Belong is both a heartwarming and a heartbreaking story contemplating the experiences and the decisions that influence us, defining who we are...reflecting on and establishing where we are and determining ultimately where we belong.

I simply had a difficult time putting this one down.

Marian Caldwell is refined and successful...currently living the life she always thought she was meant to live until one day Kirby Rose, the child she gave up for adoption when she was only eighteen years old, shows up on her Manhattan penthouse `doorstep'.

Kirby Rose has an unsettling feeling about fitting in with her family...although they love her, she does not look like them, nor do they share similar interest. She longs to fit into the puzzle and decides to go in search of where she came from and find where she belongs.

This moving story tells of the introspective journey of two women through alternating perspectives...both emotional and humorous as they discover where they belong.

***The next single paragraph may provide a spoiler, so skip to the final paragraph to avoid the possibility of a spoiler risk***

Although I truly enjoyed this book, I was left with my mouth hanging open as it just abruptly ends...I mean, both women discover resolution in regards to where they belong in life, but the one thing I wanted most for Marian did not happen. Of course, it doesn't mean it was not in the cards for her eventually, but then again maybe it will not happen...I would have like an epilogue so without one I guess I will write the rest of her story in my head.

This is a wonderfully emotional story with extremely well developed characters and engaging writing...I highly recommend.
on February 23, 2013
I own every single one of this author's book. I would definitely consider myself a fan. I even drove two hours to see her when she visited Jax and I was so please with how pleasant and personable she was. With that being said, Let me go into the book. Without giving too much away, it involves a teenage girl that has a plan and that doesn't include a future with soulful artist/musician. They part ways when college begins and the story evolves from there.

In a previous novel of Giffin's called "Baby Proof", she developed a compelling story about a CF woman who was adamant about her choice and was even willing to let her husband go when he attempted to change the terms of their marriage. The story really appealed to me as a childfree woman and I was so happy that an author who was not CF actually got that there was nothing wrong with that choice and sometimes heartache and heartbreak occur when you're willing to stick by your decision even when getting pressure from outsiders.

So, this is where a reader may be wondering "What does Baby Proof have to do with Where We Belong? Giffin uses characters from her previous book to weave into her new books so that you keep emotionally invested in these characters that you've read before. It's a great "A-HA!" moment for faithful readers of all her books. So imagined my surprise when I saw that CF Claudia was no longer CF. Apparently, all she needed was "love" from her husband to make her decide that parenthood wasn't as bad as she thought. That she was only misinformed about parenthood and that the love of Ben is what makes it so worthwhile.

I felt slapped in the face. I really did. I drove two hours to see Mrs. Giffin and get her to sign Baby Proof. I let her know how please I was that an author was willing to tackle a difficult subject with such grace and respect. To read in WWB that she didn't uphold Claudia's principle's made me angry and then really sad.

I finished WWB but I couldn't even look at it in the same positive light that I had before after reading that update. Now, I get that Giffin's caters to a "mommy-lit" crowd but I was under the impression beforehand that she catered to writing compelling stories that ALL women could relate to.

WWB is a solid story with engaging characters. You really get a feel for Kirby and you grow to like her IDGAF attitude that she throws out throughout the book.