Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,404 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,981 reviews
on November 24, 2015
I got the book Where the Wild Things Are because one of my twin four year old boys reminds me so much of the little boy in the book, Max. Oftentimes he gets into mischief, more so than his brothers. When I came across this book on Amazon I automatically thought of my rotten little boy that usually just can't keep his fingers off things. I just knew he would love this book, and I was right! My strong willed, free spirited child who normally won't sit still long enough to eat his supper, sat mesmerized throughout this whole book. Each time we turned the page he was excited about the pictures and wanted to see what adventurous thing Max or his wild monster friends would do next. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone with children.
on April 23, 2016
I bought this book for my daughter when she was little. I probably gave it to the library after many years. I bought it now to read to my grandchildren. I love classic books that you can pass on from generation to generation. Some times kids can get wild and very overactive. You are constantly telling them to calm down or give a time out. Reading this book to them can bring them back to reality. The pictures and illustration are wonderful. It is also a great book for children to learn how to read. The printing is large where it will get their attention. Great book for children and grown ups to enjoy.
on November 16, 2014
I was introduced to this book by my librarian when I was in first grade in the mid eighties. Thirty years later I can still remember sitting with my class on the floor in front of her chair and staring at the pictures while she slowly read about Max's adventure. I wanted to jump into the book (especially when his bedroom turns into a jungle) and explore. The illustrations hold a huge amount of magic for me. So much in fact that I tracked down an old calendar just so I could frame the bedroom picture :)

I do think you should hold off on reading this book to children until you think they can understand its creativity. A few of the elements may be confusing to young children, like why Max is upset and acting out or his interactions with the beasts. Don't dismiss Max as a brat who is just throwing a fit. It's definitely a good opportunity to discuss feelings and behaviors (it's plain to see some of his behaviors are learned from his mom, maybe a message to parents hmmm?)

But still, don't take things to literally, it's all about imagination. I really don't think Maurice Sendak intended his readers to think Max a cannibal; how many times have you heard an adult say to a little kid "you're so cute I could eat you up"?

As a side note, the movie is great but not as light-hearted as the book. There are some heavy emotions and themes in there. It's geared towards a more mature audience so don't let your five year old watch that.
on August 15, 2016
This was the very first book I had ever read on my own cover to cover,
that alone rates it 5 stars for me.

It's a classic that still holds up 40-50 years later.
The pictures are cool and interesting enough to hold a young mind's attention, until they get all the words.

That's what did it for me anyway,
it's still one of my favorites.
on May 12, 2017
This is my favorite children's book and just one of my favorite books overall. I bought this one as a gift (I have at least two of my own copies). I buy this for everyone I know who is having a baby and have been doing that for probably 20-25 years. It's just a beautifully illustrated book with a wonderful story. You should buy this for yourself and any kid you know.
on November 11, 2016
I had bought my great granddaughter a wonderful creature stuffed toy and my sis suggested this classic book to go along. GREAT IDEA! Thanks, Sis. I read the book and the story is just scary enough for kids. The illustrations are wonderful. Certainly a classic for any child's library.

Recommend product. Recommend seller.
on July 28, 2017
This is not to take away from the story, which is entertaining for little ones (especially our adventurous little boy). But the pictures really bring everything to life. All in all, this is a classic that I also enjoyed when I was a kid. It is a must have for any book collection!
on July 24, 2017
The story and art is simply the best for a children's book. This is one of the gifts I give to new mother (mostly because I don't know baby books at all) and is something that a child can grow to read and love as he ages. This is one of the books that got me into drawing.
on August 1, 2017
My daughters' favorite book! Personally I don't mind reading this over and over again. The illustrations are so engaging and any parent with a little "wild one" will totally relate to this adorable story. It really exceeded my expectation.
on February 8, 2016
This and Harold and the Purple Crayon were my favorite books as a kid...Suess books were scary. I saw Maurice Sendak on the Colbert Report once and he said he didn't write it for kids, but I think he was just goofing around....or not