Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,387 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,960 reviews
on November 24, 2015
I got the book Where the Wild Things Are because one of my twin four year old boys reminds me so much of the little boy in the book, Max. Oftentimes he gets into mischief, more so than his brothers. When I came across this book on Amazon I automatically thought of my rotten little boy that usually just can't keep his fingers off things. I just knew he would love this book, and I was right! My strong willed, free spirited child who normally won't sit still long enough to eat his supper, sat mesmerized throughout this whole book. Each time we turned the page he was excited about the pictures and wanted to see what adventurous thing Max or his wild monster friends would do next. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone with children.
on April 23, 2016
I bought this book for my daughter when she was little. I probably gave it to the library after many years. I bought it now to read to my grandchildren. I love classic books that you can pass on from generation to generation. Some times kids can get wild and very overactive. You are constantly telling them to calm down or give a time out. Reading this book to them can bring them back to reality. The pictures and illustration are wonderful. It is also a great book for children to learn how to read. The printing is large where it will get their attention. Great book for children and grown ups to enjoy.
on November 16, 2014
I was introduced to this book by my librarian when I was in first grade in the mid eighties. Thirty years later I can still remember sitting with my class on the floor in front of her chair and staring at the pictures while she slowly read about Max's adventure. I wanted to jump into the book (especially when his bedroom turns into a jungle) and explore. The illustrations hold a huge amount of magic for me. So much in fact that I tracked down an old calendar just so I could frame the bedroom picture :)

I do think you should hold off on reading this book to children until you think they can understand its creativity. A few of the elements may be confusing to young children, like why Max is upset and acting out or his interactions with the beasts. Don't dismiss Max as a brat who is just throwing a fit. It's definitely a good opportunity to discuss feelings and behaviors (it's plain to see some of his behaviors are learned from his mom, maybe a message to parents hmmm?)

But still, don't take things to literally, it's all about imagination. I really don't think Maurice Sendak intended his readers to think Max a cannibal; how many times have you heard an adult say to a little kid "you're so cute I could eat you up"?

As a side note, the movie is great but not as light-hearted as the book. There are some heavy emotions and themes in there. It's geared towards a more mature audience so don't let your five year old watch that.
on March 29, 2017
I'm not going to lie, I am a 40-year-old and have never, ever read this book or had it read to me. I got this for my three-year-old daughter for 3rd bday, on behalf of my uncle who got it for her birthday. (He doesn't have a computer so I order his books.) I really enjoyed this book myself. It's very interesting. The drawings are amazing. The story is good/makes a point-has a subtle lesson. Maybe not for an older child but my daughter is 3yrs. She seems to understand it and likes it. She has requested read more than once at night. So in my book that makes it a winner.
on August 15, 2016
This was the very first book I had ever read on my own cover to cover,
that alone rates it 5 stars for me.

It's a classic that still holds up 40-50 years later.
The pictures are cool and interesting enough to hold a young mind's attention, until they get all the words.

That's what did it for me anyway,
it's still one of my favorites.
on March 21, 2017
Never was a fan before. The author in interviews seems to be so full of himself, but this time was different. My 18 month old just loves this story. The growling monsters must be what got him! I say "Where the Wild Things Are" while driving, and he says "Rarrw" in response. The artwork is nice. Good quality book, for a paperback edition.
on July 21, 2017
If you made the mistake of having children this is the second best book other than "go the f*** to sleep for kids. It was my favorite book as a kid and is always nastalgic. I give this to parents who decide to make poor decisions and have kids. I would give them the best book, but they get "offended"
on April 14, 2017
One of, perhaps my favorite children's book from my childhood. Maurice Sendak has got to be one of the best children's book illustrators of his time, he brought to life the wild things in the most wonderful way. Every child should own a copy of this book, they'll want it read to them over and over again!
on March 28, 2017
If you don't like this book, you're probably a communist. Not really...but it's a classic childhood staple for generations.
on May 12, 2017
This is my favorite children's book and just one of my favorite books overall. I bought this one as a gift (I have at least two of my own copies). I buy this for everyone I know who is having a baby and have been doing that for probably 20-25 years. It's just a beautifully illustrated book with a wonderful story. You should buy this for yourself and any kid you know.