Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,282 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,844 reviews
on November 24, 2015
I got the book Where the Wild Things Are because one of my twin four year old boys reminds me so much of the little boy in the book, Max. Oftentimes he gets into mischief, more so than his brothers. When I came across this book on Amazon I automatically thought of my rotten little boy that usually just can't keep his fingers off things. I just knew he would love this book, and I was right! My strong willed, free spirited child who normally won't sit still long enough to eat his supper, sat mesmerized throughout this whole book. Each time we turned the page he was excited about the pictures and wanted to see what adventurous thing Max or his wild monster friends would do next. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone with children.
on November 16, 2014
I was introduced to this book by my librarian when I was in first grade in the mid eighties. Thirty years later I can still remember sitting with my class on the floor in front of her chair and staring at the pictures while she slowly read about Max's adventure. I wanted to jump into the book (especially when his bedroom turns into a jungle) and explore. The illustrations hold a huge amount of magic for me. So much in fact that I tracked down an old calendar just so I could frame the bedroom picture :)

I do think you should hold off on reading this book to children until you think they can understand its creativity. A few of the elements may be confusing to young children, like why Max is upset and acting out or his interactions with the beasts. Don't dismiss Max as a brat who is just throwing a fit. It's definitely a good opportunity to discuss feelings and behaviors (it's plain to see some of his behaviors are learned from his mom, maybe a message to parents hmmm?)

But still, don't take things to literally, it's all about imagination. I really don't think Maurice Sendak intended his readers to think Max a cannibal; how many times have you heard an adult say to a little kid "you're so cute I could eat you up"?

As a side note, the movie is great but not as light-hearted as the book. There are some heavy emotions and themes in there. It's geared towards a more mature audience so don't let your five year old watch that.
on April 23, 2016
I bought this book for my daughter when she was little. I probably gave it to the library after many years. I bought it now to read to my grandchildren. I love classic books that you can pass on from generation to generation. Some times kids can get wild and very overactive. You are constantly telling them to calm down or give a time out. Reading this book to them can bring them back to reality. The pictures and illustration are wonderful. It is also a great book for children to learn how to read. The printing is large where it will get their attention. Great book for children and grown ups to enjoy.
on March 9, 2015
This classic by Maurice Sendak is a treasure! It was one of my childrens' favorite books. Both the illustrations and text are flawless and entertaining.
I bought it for volunteer reading and will purchase again for my grandchildren. I used to work in early childhood education for ten years and have almost 500 childrens' books for all ages! Through those experiences, I understand which books are winners or duds! Try reading it at the library first and for sure you will want it for your kids! Also, I supplement this story with puppets and stuffed animal beasts from the story. You can purchase some on amazon and for what you can not find look on websites such as e- bay or etsy. Sincerely, Mary Beth K.
on June 1, 2016
I've been collecting Classic Children's books and I have never actually read this one, but I knew it was very popular. I guess I thought the story would have a bit more to it. I don't know if I would read this to a very small child as some of the Wild Things look a bit scary. I guess it depends on the child. As an adult though, I did enjoy the artwork.
on March 21, 2017
Never was a fan before. The author in interviews seems to be so full of himself, but this time was different. My 18 month old just loves this story. The growling monsters must be what got him! I say "Where the Wild Things Are" while driving, and he says "Rarrw" in response. The artwork is nice. Good quality book, for a paperback edition.
on February 3, 2017
I love this book and tried to read it to my three year old. He loves trying to act like a "Wild Thing" afterwards.
on March 23, 2014
Sure this book is beautifully illustrated and it was a treat to visually look at but where is the storyline and the moral of the story? I had never read this book before (surprisingly) and my 2 year old daughter and I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read ALL THE TIME and even visit the library once a week. I purchased this book because it was priced right and I enjoy adding to our collection however this book, for all the hype, was very disappointing :(.
on March 15, 2017
Such a sweet book, a classic. My grandson's birthday party had this theme.
on March 16, 2017
Beautiful quality book! I ordered the hardback and it came with a paper cover which just made even fancier than I expected. We used it as a guest book and it was a hit at the party.