Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Where the Wild Things Are
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 20, 2009
I was born in 1962 the year before this book was first published. The book was read to me many times by my dear Mother who passed away March 1st 2009.

The book is wonderfully illustrated and has very few words, but I think that is what is so special about this imaginative story. It leaves so much room for your imagination and it never grows old. I can remember my Mother using different voices for each character in the book when she would read it to me and when I got a bit older I read the book over and over again.

Nothing will fill the emptiness in my heart, soul and body caused by my Mother's passing, but looking back on these cherished memories makes it easier and bearable. I was lucky to share many years with her and I never took her for granted.

I love and miss you Mom!

I wasn't aware that this book was even in print until reading an Amazon friend's review for it. Thanks Andrew!

This book is something every parent should share with their child or children. It will help them explore their imagination and they will know they are loved! What more could you want from a children's book?
1919 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 9, 2008
It's about monsters, for crying out loud! Why on earth would you want to plant the idea of fear and worry with your children just before bedtime? I remember being terrified of this book when I was a child. I will not read it with my kids. I know they will be introduced to it somewhere along the line, and I hope they are not frightened by it. I just do not understand everyone who says they love this book.
1414 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2013
A disturbed young man in a devilish costume chases a dog with a sharp object, then threatens to cannibalize his mother when she objects. No, it's not an episode of "True Blood". This is actually the opening scene of an inexplicably beloved children's book, and that's just for starters. The boy, Max, conjures up an imaginary sailboat and sails to an imaginary island inhabited by demonic horned beasts. Max watches as the monsters "gnash their terrible teeth" (a descriptor Jesus used in the Bible when describing Hell). Using some form of dark "magic", Max wins a staring contest and is anointed "king" of the creatures, then initiates an eerie moonlight dancing ritual. Curiously, at its conclusion, he arbitrarily deprives the monsters of nourishment, although we're not privy to the reason for the punishment. (Yeah, I get it, he's emulating his mom's behavior but now from a position of power himself... but as a kid, I just felt sorry for the beasts and thought Max a cruel tyrant.) Finally Max gets hungry and decides to leave the imaginary world, as the demon-spawn horde promise to cannibalize him if he'll only stay a bit longer. He arrives back in his bedroom and finds a hot dinner awaiting him -- his reward, evidently, for his earlier attempts to cannibalize Mom and Fido. I just realized, this is probably my first review in which I've used the word "cannibalize" three times.

Now before you comment, look folks -- I have no objection to "dark" children's books. In fact, I can tell you that kids find this stuff a lot less scary than we as adults insist they should. Children's imaginations are generally a lot "darker" than anything we can show them. I love Maurice Sendak's artwork, and I appreciate that as an author he doesn't "talk down" to children. That said, other than the illustrations, I just don't see the appeal of this book. It didn't do anything for me when I was a kid, when I thought Max seemed mean and obnoxious, and the "wild things" rather insane and certainly untrustworthy, as they never stopped threatening to consume Max. Even though as an adult I now understand the symbolism and themes, there's nothing about it that's "fun".
1010 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 26, 2003
we are huge book readers in our family and we find this book to be painfully poorly written- the illustrations are beautiful, but, in our opinion mr.sendak should have handed over the story writing to someone else- the story is so bland and has no direction it seems- it was almost as if he drew the pictures first and then tried to make a story of them afterwards- in fact, i am certain this is what he did- there is no story really, it makes little sense-
i think he drew each picture separately and then tried to come up with a few sentences that made sense for that particular drawing and because of this, the story doesn't flow-
and he keeps repeating (quite annoyingly) that "the monsters rolled their terrrible eyes and showed their terrible teeth" because i think he couldn't think of anything else to say!- look, we love a variety of book styles and subjects but this one rarely gets picked off the shelf as our kids (and we) are not at all interested in it- it's one thing to have great pictures but if the story isn't there, the kids won't want to read it- this could have been a fabulous book because the illustrations are great, but unfortunately, he chose to write the story too- liken it to great actors being in a lousy movie-
1212 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2009
This is a fine example of how following the crowd will get you no where. Especially if the leader of that crowd has no idea where he is going. Many years ago it was decided that this was an exceptional book. It received a very prestigious award. And like the Emperor's new clothes many gather around to praise it. But was it truly deserved or could it be that the author, whom had been nominated various times before was thrown a bone. Like Whoopi Goldberg performance in "The Color Purple" but winning for "Ghost" Who's to say. When I read this story all I thought was "nice drawings" . Yes those drawings stand out more than a single line in this story. Can anyone quote a verse from this story. If I read it to you would you recall it. Yet flash a picture and the memories flood back of library cards and book reports. If your looking for a classic story to read your children or grandkids. Keep searching because this tale does't qualify.
1010 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2009
Inspired by my Ammy buddy Betty Dravis (yes, that's DRAVIS, not Davis), I decided to go ahead and write a review for a book I wouldn't normally. I become so self consumed with reading, watching and listening to more adult fare that I tend to neglect this genre altogether. Recently though, as my daughter has gotten a little older, I have been reading a lot of children's books. Her favorite thing in the world is being read to and so from the minute I get home until it's time to eat I find myself reading to my little angel.

As a young boy I remember loving this book, and so since my daughter has this newfound adoration for books I decided to buy her a copy.

She LOVES it.

The great thing about `Where the Wild Things Are' is that it is written at the right level to engage them without over stimulating them. There are few words, and they are strung along across quite a few pages with some big illustrations. You don't have to linger on one particular page for too long, which is good because after a while of staring at the same picture my daughter starts to turn the pages for me. The illustrations are wonderfully done; the monsters (wild things) are goofy enough so as not to frighten the child (I read this to my daughter before bed every night, so I guess there's further proof). The illustrations, especially on the pages without words, are great ways to get your children involved in reading as well. There are a few pages in the center of the book that show Max and the Wild Things dancing and howling and swinging from the trees. It's at this point where I get my daughter to dance in the living room or howl at the ceiling. She loves it, and watching her get so excited over a book is such a genuine joy. Another thing I really like about the wording is that it has a very nice, poetic flow to it. It almost encourages a smooth tone in your voice. It's written in such an easy way that it sounds almost comforting.

And of course it teaches children that no matter what, they are always loved.

I completely recommend this book. It was a highlight of my childhood, and now it's a highlight for my little angel. I'm positive that you too will enjoy this book as a family. Another selling point is that they are currently filming the movie adaptation to this book, so getting your children interested in this now will only heighten their joy for the film when it is released. I'm hoping by then my daughter will be just as stoked as I am.
66 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 1, 2012
Poor Max - he is a normal child who melts down once in a while but then is unfairly punished for his age-appropriate behavior. It is unhealthy to give our children the message that being upset is equivalent to being naughty and bad. This view forces Max to split off his upset feelings as "wild things" that are alien to him. For a contrasting message in which a child is lovingly helped by his parents to understand and accept the upset feelings that cause bad dreams, see Mommy, Daddy, I Had a Bad Dream!
77 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 15, 2013
This book is terrible. A kid with cannibalistic tendencies gets rewarded for being a little bastard? Seems to me that the message is here is its OK to be a complete sociopath.....
77 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 16, 2008
With all the hype surrounding this book, I was excited to get this for my six year old daughter. She loves books, but neither she nor I could get the point of this. The uninspired writing goes nowhere. The plot(?) is strange and doesn't promote any appropriate values for children. Even the illustrations, while "classic", are only "classic" as they are easily recognizable; fact is, they're just not all that captivating.

My family was very disappointed in this book. If you must, take it out of a library, but I wouldn't waste my money.
77 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 23, 2017
I wrote a similar review for the children's book "Goodnight, Moon," so bear with me if you feel like I am disparaging some of the greatest children's literature of all time. Like that other book, I had never read "Where the Wild Things Are" before, but I ordered it for my nephew (10) and niece (7) to read to them at night. It turned out that they had read it before (or had it read to them, I believe), but they didn't mind me reading it to them again. Nor did they seem all that enthused about it either.

I suppose they mildly enjoyed it, which is mainly what matters, but as far as my own opinion, I have to admit that I don't understand the appeal of this book. It's true that the artwork is nice and fun to look at it, but I place more importance on the story and writing, and that is where I was disappointed with the book.

The sentences are divided up across two or three pages, so that there is no way to get into a flow of reading the story without turning the pages too fast to look at the pictures. But even if you do turn the pages to keep reading, there is enough of a pause between page turns that it still comes out sounding awkward.

The story itself is also quite bare. It's an interesting enough idea, I suppose, but there is so little to it and the book ends before it barely even begins. There are some emotional takeaways to be had by Max's experience, but they aren't actually spelled out very well in the story. When I was done reading I felt like I had to explain what it all meant, just to make sure my nephew and niece saw that there was something to learn from the story. Maybe they would have gotten it without my help, but my own experience after reading the book was that there just wasn't enough there to be truly meaningful, and what *was* there felt so broken up that it was hard to get a good rhythm going.

I don't know, maybe people like how subtle the story is and maybe that's one of the features that makes the overall read memorable, or maybe it's just nostalgia. Either way, reading it from the perspective of an adult wanting to find fun and interesting and involving stories for children, it didn't work for me. But I guess it's worth a try to see if it works for them.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse